Interviews and Articles on TW3

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
"The city of Novigrad is 46 square kilometers in size"

I seem to have missed this info in the slides from the PDF, if this is true then how is the whole world of TW3 74 square KM as said in the Neogaf post? that would make Novigrad far too big compared to the two other areas, one of the two sizes is probably wrong.
Wh-what?!?

46sq km=17sq mi.
The size of Oblivion world=16sq mi and Skyrim is even lesser(14.8 sq mi)

Something is really wrong.

Last edited:
That's far too big, the devs wouldn't even speak about Skyrim if 74km2 was one region or even half the game actually, and i dont know where DualShockers got the 46km2 number as well.

TW3 completely must be 74km2 aprox.

74 sq km (46x46 tiles) is for one region : Novigrad. Which is is massive and ... yeah wrong. I think it's the city and surroundings.

page 8
http://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vault/GDC2014/Presentations/Gollent_Marcin_Landscape_Creation_and.pdf

Maybe the city itself is represented by orange square.

So the whole world (3 regions) would be 222 sq km.
For comparison Red Dead Redemption's maps was about 28 square miles or 72.52 squared kilometers.

That's far too big, the devs wouldn't even speak about Skyrim if 74km2 was one region or even half the game actually, and i dont know where DualShockers got the 46km2 number as well.

TW3 completely must be 74km2 aprox.

Now this really is odd.... let's assume that's all of the Novigrad region that's 28sq mi that's like ~twice of Skyrim/Oblivion

So ONLY Novigrad would be bigger than Skyrim? How big would the world be then? This is odd indeed. Must be a typo or they measure space differently.

That's true i also believe it can't be that big, yet on the other hand, the only way TW3 could be 35 times bigger and 74km2 is if TW2 was about 2,1 km2, and just by looking at all the maps of TW2 and judging a roughly approximate size of all of them combined 2,1 sounds extremely unlikely, almost absurd.

Now that I think about it, I remember in one interview someone from CDPRED said the 35 times bigger thing didn't include the water, so who knows what those possible 74km2 really refer too.

EDIT oh and if the data is right, a world 20% bigger than Skyrim is about 46km2, exactly the number DualShockers wrote, maybe that's the real size of TW3.

Last edited:
Now i have no idea what a "clipmap" is, but seeing as how they were talking about it having 5 levels, a thought crossed my mind, that the last number is all of those levels combined.

So i divided it by 5: 74 / 5 = 14,8
Than multiplied that by amount of regions: 14,8x3=44,4
And that seems a lot closer to the number we are looking for. :look:

So yeah, i'm betting the novigrad region is ~15km2 and the city itself is posibly 2-3km2 which if you think about it, is still absolutely massive.
And it makes sense they would be boasting about that 74km number. The presentation was meant to show the amount of work and/or performance required to visualize it. Not the actual size of the map.

I suspect the bullet points in the presentation aren't supposed to be read without the context of the the panelist's lecture.

Does anyone remember all the middleware used in The Witcher 2? I'm just trying to compare and see

I remember a few...

The Witcher 2FMODSpeedtreeScaleformPATHEngine -Havok -
The Witcher 3WwiseSpeedtreeScaleformUmbra 3APEXPhysXSimplygon

FMOD got replaced by Wwise for example.
Havok physics by NVIDIA PhysX

Notes nobody probably cares about:
I've only hear good things about Wwise, so switching from FMOD to Wwise for audio seems like a good choice.
Havok again needs to step up its game so PhysX is again seems like the better choice.

Last edited:
There is also Simplygon, which they use for LOD generation. (previously handmade) wich apparently works the same or better than artists output while cutting time allotted for LOD making, down by 99%.

And i think that's it for the middleware. The rest is their own tech :rebel:

Edit: Found an additional GDC presentation, which is weird because i thought we had all of them. Looks like this one was held by Nvidia and CDPR together. Not in PDF format though, just photos, but clear enough.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/The-Witcher-3-PC-237266/Specials/The-Witcher-3-und-Nvidia-Hairworks-Eine-haarige-Angelegenheit-1114601/galerie/2167083/#?a_id=1114601&g_id=-1&i_id=2167083

I think the first 19 slides are by CDPR, rest is Nvidia. Though this one in particular is interesting:
View attachment 2459
Keep in mind this is Hairworks presentation, so the slide effectively confirmes they got it working on consoles.

THEY GOT NVIDIA FUR, TO WORK ON CONSOLES.

:yes:

Attachments

• Slide.jpg
    Slide.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
My God ! The algorithm was made by wizards or what ? how they suppoce to do this kind of mad detailed open world so good, when big AAA companies have problem with do small rooms, the engineers and programmers of CPR must be wizards

You know what surprises me most? The way they talk about this tech, it's like it was meant to be a core part of this game's visuals all along.

There is a very distinct difference betwen adding a little sprinkle of cool new tech on top of a PC version. And desining the whole game knowing that this cool new tech is part of the design chain and impacts the core visuals. Not just that, it impacts how models for the game are created and how much time it takes to do that. It looks like every model that will use hairworks, needs to be "shaven" from regular polygonal hair, and then you have to add attachment points for NVIDIA hair.

I guess what i'm saying is, it must have been a huge risk to just say: "Let's take this tech, which is experimental, and instead of adding it "on top" like what usually happens, wrap the game's core visuals around it". Because if this approach would fail they would have to rework a huge amount of models.

IF this is part of the games visuals on all platforms, because we don't know that yet. Then, holy shit at the risk they are taking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom