GOGTHEWITCHER2 registry entry+affinity core

+
GOGTHEWITCHER2 registry entry+affinity core

Hello guys I was tidying up my registry today and looking at some entries and came across this registry entry for the witcher:

My question is about the "AFFINITY" and "AFFINITYCORE" entries.

Quite simply, what does it mean when it is saying "affinity" is off. Probably nothing since I obviously know for a fact that Witcher 2 utilizes multiple cores. My main question is about the "affinitycore" entry. It is set to 3 but I have an Intel I5-750 CPU with 4 cores. Does this mean the game is only using 3 of my cores? Should I change it to 4? I am basically just looking for some information/confirmation on these two particular settings. thanks

Only a developer, maybe only a developer for GOG, could give a definitive explanation. But it appears to correspond to the .NET notion of processor affinity. The game itself is not discernibly a .NET application, and changing these values does not affect the game's habit of using all the cores. The Launcher, however, appears to be; and the GOG Installer appears to be set up to set these values to safe settings.

In .NET, you can decide whether to bother with processor affinity at all; and you can set a bitmap of processors you will use. So my best guess is that AFFINITY=false vs. true determines whether to set the processor affinity, and AFFINITYCORE is a bitmap of the cores the .NET application will use (1 = core 0, 2 = core 1, 3 = cores 0 and 1, etc.)

But it doesn't affect the game at all, I'm not sure it even affects the Launcher, and it may just be a part of GOG's standard installer setup. The only other GOG game I have on this computer is Planescape: Torment, and it has the same registry values.

Top Bottom