Interviews and Articles on TW3

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Consoles are getting a 'special' LOD level. Much easier to optimise a product for a specific machine - it's the only reason why previous gen lasted for so long, and there's definitely some trade-off they're forced to make. Adding in extra graphical options without FPS taking a hit is impossible, especially when talking about new tech such as nVidia's hair simulation. Another thing for me personally, if I have to choose between 30 FPS and hair physics, and 60 FPS with no hair physics, I'd go with option number 2. But it's different for other people, which is why having the option and not being forced into something is better.

with no hair

Im trying now to imagine how it would look to play Witcher 3 with everyone ingame bald (counting animals and monsters too ) :D

:wat:

So many numbers coming out of the GDC presentations, I'm still inclined to believe the game just won't be that big, it makes no sense they would talk about skyrim's size and such, but then again 35 TW2s being the minimal size, and the game growing in quests and content just like Konrad said, who knows what the game is like at this point. We even had those comments of yet unannounced areas, or that they were only talking about playable land without water.

It'd be really cool if someone from RED could clarify at least one of the slides, don't you think so @Marcin Momot? ;)

Last edited:
If that's indeed true, I... Can't even fathom it. I need to lay down.

Still smaller than DayZ or the town I live in.

But yes, it would make the game much bigger than Skyrim, which would be awesome. Climbing a mountain in 5-10 minutes felt just... wrong. Perhaps they were talking about each separate area being ~25% bigger than Skyrim? Skyrim is said to be ~37 km[SUP]2[/SUP] and each of these areas would be ~60-64 km[SUP]2[/SUP].

Last edited:

I'm holding my expectations... It cant possibly be that big, I simply cant believe it, its too good to be true. But did they say the 3 areas would be separated? Because it would make a bit more sense if they rendered the 3 areas separately.

I'm holding my expectations... It cant possibly be that big, I simply cant believe it, its too good to be true. But did they say the 3 areas would be separated? Because it would make a bit more sense if they rendered the 3 areas separately.
Reminder that Just Cause 2 was ~1000 sq km+
(it didn't have many things to do but that's besides the point)

~192 isn't really that unreasonable if you're not packing the map with something every 500 metres.
(Ex-AC4 Bathtub of the carribbean with things every few metres)

@Geralt_of_bsas Yeah I accidentally read mi sq and km sq
:troll:

Last edited:

Skellige is separate, we know that, but they always say its because its supposed to be too far away from the mainland so there's no point in making you sail so much. Now Novigrad and NM'sL are probably together, and the remaining secret areas I dont know.
@sidspyker actually just cause 2 is 400 square miles according to the internet, so its beyond the thousands of km2

Reminder that Just Cause 2 was ~1000 sq km+
(it didn't have many things to do but that's besides the point)

~192 isn't really that unreasonable if you're not packing the map with something every 500 metres.

So you mean Skyrim wasn't that demanding(for the PC at least)?

Sorry for my ignorance, I know very little about how the processing of games works.

So you mean Skyrim wasn't that demanding(for the PC at least)?
Well the game wasn't demanding at all but no that's not what I mean. Game size really doesn't have much to do with 'processing' because not all of the map is loaded into the memory at the same time. It's streamed as you go to different areas. So you can created 10000000x bigger map than some game but the processing(and memory) only matters in the area you can currently see on your screen not all of the map.

Sorry for my ignorance, I know very little about how the processing of games works.
Know and grow everyday.
What I mean is there's many many many big world games and that's not really an issue.
Examples:
http://www.geekosystem.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Large-Video-Game-Worlds.jpg
http://unrealitymag.bcmediagroup.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/size.jpg

What's an issue is creating the world that isn't just empty and bland but full of life and things to do. Activities for example. You need things to do otherwise you're just walking around endlessly from point A to B.

Last edited:
You can have big maps with nothing, or have a smaller map with a lot of things, witcher 3 will make big maps with a lot of things, so, compare sizes do not makes sence at all, on Skyrim you have a lot of caves, yes, and monster, but too a lot of repetitives caves, Witcher is about a good story, no just explode all the map in search of the biggest sword in the world

Last edited:
This Game is going to be Legendary & Shall Make Video Game History!!!
I can feel it, can't wait but I have to... (smile)

Last edited:
Well, it's been quite a while since they came up with that Skyrim comparison.
~200 kmˇ2 doesn't sound that impossible to me, they once said in an interview the world would take 40 minutes or so to cross over on horseback.

Last edited:
"Oh, 4 new pages in Witcher 3 news thread, must be interesting. *4 pages later* What did I expect from this thread?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom