E3 2014: CDProjekt's PR strategy

+

E3 2014: CDProjekt's PR strategy

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I feel it would be a mistake to show more closed doors stuff. At least show extended gameplay, maybe 5 minutes or so, and do a dev diary. I'd show some screenies as well. I wouldn't expect a demo available to the public yet.

Are you suggesting they should skip E3 altogether or, say, use it to promote CP2077?

Again, the media has to get something in return, if they are to cover TW3 extensively. Otherwise they'll just turn their attention to the many developers providing them with exclusive content.

No no no, i meant that the start of the marketing campaign, with all the new content released weekly or maybe monthly, and the moment where you can finally start pre-ordering the game, should be a whole event just for that.

I still want them to have a sort of "normal" E3, with a brand new gameplay trailer, and a new presentation for the press only, or perhaps have the game played live in the stage of E3.

For E3 I want a good trailer showing off some of the story and gameplay that is at least more than 3 minutes long. I believe CDPR should follow the example of Rockstar's marketing. From E3 onward, they have almost 8 months before the release. They could release 5-10 minute video series with commentary whenever they think the game is in the right stage in this time period showing off different aspects of the game such as story telling, Gameplay and mechanics, the Witcher's world, and lastly Graphics when the game is all finished.

I hope CDPR steps up its marketing campaign during E3. An extensive story trailer or list of characters would be fantastic....

Actually the worst place and moment to start the marketing campaign and preorders and all that, is by far E3, everyone is going to be busy with other games and the witcher will be drowned in the huge event that it is.

Really? They got most of the attention last year at E3 and all they had to show was a debut trailer (well, two of them) and a hands-off demo behind closed doors.

Now imagine a hands-on demo and a longer gameplay trailer (with actual gameplay) this year, and I think people will lose their minds (if the game is really that good, of course).

Last edited:
Public gameplay trailer, maxed at ten minutes. Show off a minor quest that may have the choice and consequences cdpr is known for.

Release date is still a little far for a Q&A at this point.
And maybe a very tiny teaser for CP2077.

Really? They got most of the attention last year at E3 and all they had to show was a debut trailer (well, two of them) and a hands-off demo behind closed doors.

Now imagine a hands-on demo and a longer gameplay trailer (with actual gameplay) this year, and I think people will lose their minds (if the game is really that good, of course).

And thats exactly why i think the witcher is big and popular enough to stand on its own, and use another special exclusive event for its most important announcements, and just leave E3 shocked with another one of their trailers or a live gameplay demo, plus its the nature of the content for the reveal i care most about.

See in E3 everybody makes announcements, and i expect the witcher's marketing campaign start to have a lot of content, in E3 days, people literally dont have nearly enough time to read see or search all the new reveals and stuff dozens of games are putting out, even websites dont even have enough space and time to give each announcement and or trailer the analysis and discussion they deserve.

I agree with you, people would loose their minds, but thats just one demo or trailer, its easy to see the deal about it, short and to the point, perfectly useful for E3, on the other hand, the preoders and heavy marketing's beginning its almost surely going to have a whole renewal of the website with info about monsters and chars, settings, mechanics, and more content, videos for each big location, a trailer for the story, a trailer for the combat, more dev diaries. People can then buy the game, they need much much more than just a trailer, and if the game has all that much new stuff all of the sudden it wont get enough attention and the value it deserves during E3.

For E3: one trailer and/or hands on demo? cool, that + maybe a new dev diary like The Beginning? cool too, but the whole explosion of content the road towards release will probably have? too much in my opinion.

Last edited:

Jupiter_on_Mars

Hands-on demo 8 months ahead of release is too soon.

Since the question is what CD Projekt strategy should be and not what i want to see at E3, i think starting with E3, marketing campaign should look like that:

1. E3
- New trailer 4-5 minutes long, preferably shown during Microsoft or Sony Conference (bigger exposure)
- new 40 minutes or so hands-on demo for press only plus interviews, new information about a game released.
2. Period between E3 and Gamescom - start of new information site about witcher 3 (the one that Marcin Momot was talking about), new monsters, character revealed every week
3. Gamescom - Presentation of gameplay to public (the same part of the game that will be shown during E3), Q and A
4. After Gamescom - dev diaries released every couple of weeks or so.

I voted for what I would like, but that doesn't mean it's what I expect.
I'm expecting journo pampering again while the public gets a little gameplay trailer, like 5 minutes at most, with additional material like screenshots.

Kinly,sadly ,but i am agreed with you. Well in nofish water even cancer is a fish. If that screenshots will show new weapon,armor, monsters or characters i dont mind. All i want to know about gameplay is 3 things -combat, crafting and monster hunt. If ill see them detailed i can wait till spring by watching new screenshots.

I say that it is time to actually show something of substance, CD Projekt has made promise upon promise and has shown next to nothing. There are so many unknowns about the most basic things and it would be very nice to have more than a minute of footage just for gifs. If it is another super short glimpse though, then I really wonder what the heck CD Projekt is thinking.

Jupiter_on_Mars

I say that it is time to actually show something of substance, CD Projekt has made promise upon promise and has shown next to nothing. There are so many unknowns about the most basic things and it would be very nice to have more than a minute of footage just for gifs. If it is another super short glimpse though, then I really wonder what the heck CD Projekt is thinking.

That's why I'm surprised hardly anyone seems to care for a Fan Q&A. I know very little about Witcher senses and Focus mode, if it's still in.

It also seems to me CDProjekt would have a hard time toppling the VGX trailer. So perhaps instead of high impact, little depth, the trailer might aim for moderate impact but a comprehensive explanation of basic gameplay mechanics.

Top Bottom