Dark Souls II

+
Alright.

There are only a few fantasy games that get it right and Dark Souls is one of them

Yep. I don't know why, but this Japanese minimalism creates a great atmosphere. Despite being technically not up-to-date, I still prefer Dark Souls 1-2 to the most other games, even to Skyrim, which is quite beautiful. But DS has something really unique about it.

Yep. I don't know why, but this Japanese minimalism creates a great atmosphere. Despite being technically not up-to-date, I still prefer Dark Souls 1-2 to the most other games, even to Skyrim, which is quite beautiful. But DS has something really unique about it.

If you like the art direction you should look at the Berserk Trilogy which the Souls series takes a lot of inspiration from. All the 3 movies with english dub just came out recently.

It inspires zero confidence to see From fail in this. Very depressing. Japanese devs don't see PC or the west as a viable market. A shame, since they have a decent amount to offer. If only they would port games with the intent to do it right. The only other 'hope' we have is Capcom, and their track record outside of Street Fighter is complete shit.

To be fair I don't think they failed in this: The PC port has proper mouse and keyboard controls, higher graphical quality and reduced loading times, in that sense I'd say it's a pretty good port.

What they failed is in the fact they didn't give us the lighting system that the demo had when they could have and PCs would have handled it with ease, including the extra details that are missing in the final version versus the demo.

some reviews of the game. It was a mistake to remove Miyazaki as the director. Hopefully japanese players pick up on these details so they can complain. I doubt FROM will listen to english speakers.

somewhat less excited but still am about getting this though.

All this critique seems pale when confronted with the biggest improvement of the game over it's predecessor which are controls.

For those who don't know it yet, the game can be pre-loaded on Steam starting today, if I'm not mistaken.

I have mixed feelings. This may be goty 2014 but considering that i disliked ds1 and hearing all the negativity over the web... I don't know, time to play it for myself. This is the last chance i am giving from software.

I have mixed feelings. This may be goty 2014 but considering that i disliked ds1 and hearing all the negativity over the web... I don't know, time to play it for myself. This is the last chance i am giving from software.

might take some getting used to with your phobia for controllers.

also the button prompts will still be xbox buttons, I know it upsets me too.

not really I have a controller

PVP and CO-OP will be a bit weird because of the new Soul Memory system. You get punished for grinding and you're paired with people who have acquired the same number of souls as you. We'll see how it turns out, might be a good idea to have a characters dedicated to PVP CO-OP

The default controls...are my God....ATROCIOUS on keyboard and mouse. I've spent half a fucking hour just getting this shit working to something similar to what Dark Souls 1 was in terms of K&B controls.

Oh sure mouse handles a lot better now, but here's From Software's logic: Let's treat the mouse as a fucking controller and let's add Shit, Alt and Ctrl + left or right mouse buttons are rebindable keys no problem there right?!

Except that when I am blocking using the shift key on my keyboard I can't attack unless I release it.

The default controls...are my God....ATROCIOUS on keyboard and mouse. I've spent half a fucking hour just getting this shit working to something similar to what Dark Souls 1 was in terms of K&B controls.

Oh sure mouse handles a lot better now, but here's From Software's logic: Let's treat the mouse as a fucking controller and let's add Shit, Alt and Ctrl + left or right mouse buttons are rebindable keys no problem there right?!

Except that when I am blocking using the shift key on my keyboard I can't attack unless I release it.

they aren't customizable? ???

They are but the default keys are horrific. I also can't use shift anymore for blocking! Or mouse wheel to switch between lock on enemies. Also can't use escape to cancel an action and also to bring up the menu, need separate keys.

WHAT THE FUCK FROM SOFTWARE YOU MADE KEYBOARD CONTROLS WORSE THEN DS1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4mn4dbH6ks

EDIT: Controllers don't appear to work with the game.

Last edited:
Alright here are my first impressions:
The port is solid this time, performance wise it's really well optimized, i have quite old pc and can play this game maxed out with some crazy ogssaa. And the game looks fine, it really does. I mean, i have seen wore looking games with worse performance
first game for example
The layout of controls on the keyboard is bizarre... and definitely needs some getting used to. Mouse controls are the biggest improvement over the previous game, i.e. mouse isn't fundamentally broken (it could be improved but not bad).
It feels like the devs were living in a bubble and completely ignored controls patterns established by other games i feel like playing gothic 1 for the first time again.
Overall not bad, but some patience and some getting used to is needed.

Top Bottom