Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
Serviceable? This game already looks better than 90% of what;s out there.

Each to their own. I'm not that impressed, but some of that is palette, some of that is design.

this, for example:

Clear, crisp, detailed...yet I find it cartoon-y, and strangely lacking in life.

This one should be full of life, for example:
and yet, again, something about it just doesn't really appeal to me. The rock shapes, or distribution...perhaps the trees. All seems quite...plastic? Created? I don't know.

Certainly is well done, just not my taste. I expect there is beauty in the game, but I also expect it will strike me that way for most of the play.

I like the diversity of the environments. Snow, swamp, desert, baroque city, villages, coast, caves, the fade, different types of forest...
They say they wanted the characters to have different type of animations if the ground is muddy, snowy, if it rains or if there is strong winds.
Everything look very immersive to me.

I have some reserve for the facial animations though. BioWare never succeeded in that in my opinion. And yes, it looks a little bit plastic from time to time...

Really digging this box art, and the dragon silhouette is quite cleverly integrated. Also just saw the gameplay trailer. Certainly impressed me, looks a lot of fun. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't more excited for DAI than TW3.
While I don't share that sentiment, it's not some blasphemy, despite how these boards may occasionally make it seem so :)
I'm kind of embarrassed to admit I didn't notice the dragon at first. I like the cover, though would've preferred that they continued with that white and red theme from the first and second game. I like continuity.

They say they wanted the characters to have different type of animations if the ground is muddy, snowy, if it rains or if there is strong winds.
That's actually the thing I liked most about the leaked (?) 30-minute gameplay video. Minor as it is, I really enjoyed how the characters' movement changed when they were walking on some steep hill, or wading through the mud. I want to see more of that in games.

I like the graphics myself. I do think it looks a bit "plastic", but I don't entirely mind that. If TW looks like a dirty fantasy, I'd appreciate having a relatively clean fantasy game in DA:I.

Yeah, don't really like the artstyle, I prefer TW's painting-like style to DA's cartoony look, but that's obviously a very subjective thing. The graphical fidelity itself is quite high though. It is running on Frostbite 3 after all, so it's to be expected.

I do agree with the general feel that everything in DA's environments feels like it was placed there by someone, while in TW it simply blends in seamlessly and just looks more natural.

Last edited:
Yeah the graphics are good.... technically speaking. But they are uninteresting. Much like the entire premise of the game. How many primeval, ancient evils can awaken in a row? And how many chosen ones can there be?

In any case, I did like DA:O and Awakenings. If this turns out to be very much like those games, I might give it a try. If it will require Origin or account linking (DA2) or any similar bullshit, I can pass. Looks like a Saturday morning cartoon anyway.

Yeah the graphics are good.... technically speaking. But they are uninteresting. Much like the entire premise of the game. How many primeval, ancient evils can awaken in a row? And how many chosen ones can there be?

In any case, I did like DA:O and Awakenings. If this turns out to be very much like those games, I might give it a try. If it will require Origin or account linking (DA2) or any similar bullshit, I can pass. Looks like a Saturday morning cartoon anyway.

Well, I think they also look interesting. Moreover, even the simplest premise can be interesting, if handled competently, which the Dragon Age team is capable of. Don't forget that this game has a much longer development cycle, as opposed to DA2.

DA:I will require Origin.

I don't care much about the so-called cartoony aspect of the game. Divinity:OS is cartoonier to me, gladly it has good mechanics to compensate.

Warcraft III (the strategy game) looked extremely cartoony and with an evil invasion plotline, and it is one of the best stories in an RTS - actually scratch that, one of the best stories in video gaming period.

So I believe it is entirely possible that DA:I would have a great story, evil invasion notwithstanding.

@knightofphoenix

What a great example! It's hard to think that from Warcraft 3 they went so low in WoW but they MMOs are a difficult medium to tell a story...they still could have done a much better job. It would have been better had WOTLK been 4th Xpac. With all the advancements to the engine and story telling techniques they could have done something better like...Illidan wants to take revenge on Arthas for beating him, which could have been a more interesting conflict than what we got in WOTLK. Even though the game is much better now, we have to content ourselves with stupid pandarens...Oh well, at least we'll get the badasses from WC 1 and 2 in Warlords of Draenor.

Speaking of which, I have a theory about Ner'Zhul. If you look at this picture you will see that his staff has a very peculiar crystal on it http://media.blizzard.com/wow/warlo.../wallpapers/warlords-of-draenor-1920x1200.jpg which is similar to http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070606012208/wowwiki/images/8/8f/Ashbringer_crystal.jpg

Now we know that the Ashbringer, the weapon that destroyed Frostmourne was made from a Naaru crystal from Outland that was brought into Azeroth by an orc warlock. What if Frostmourne was made using a similar method, only in reverse? Considering that WOD is basically time travel, what if the crystal on his staff is the very same crystal that was used to make Frosmourne, only uncorrupted?

I'm not versed in the lore added by WoW considering my hatred of the thing for story reasons.

But yea Ner'Zhul is a cool character, gave me feels when I wrote an article about him.

Oh yeah, the artstyle has nothing to do with the quality of the rest of the game, including the story. It's simply something that I personally don't like, but that's just how things are, some people are going to like it, others - not so much.

I absolutely hate the brown look of Torment, for example, yet it's one of my favourite games and features a brilliant story. The art in D:OS is one of the things I dislike about it, but the rest of what they're offering seems interesting to me. Larian's games have been consistently good, so I have faith in them. BioWare, on the other hand, have made a few missteps that really put me off their last few titles, so I'm more apprehensive about what they have to offer.

They do need to work on their environment crafting skills, however - they just don't feel right. Generally speaking, it's been a weakness in their games ever since they moved away from the Infinity Engine. The swampy area, which a lot of people here seem to like, does look pretty good though, so they clearly are making progress. It might be the result of the Frostbite 3 engine being better for darker, more realistic environments, that makes that area in particular stand out. A clash between their artstyle and what the engine is good at rendering might be responsible for other areas looking a bit weird.

I even made a museum in one of the undergrounds... I thought they were so... similar? NO
Equals? NO...
Copied and pasted? Well... Why don't give it a personal touch?

I for one think the aesthetic style they're going for in Inquisition looks fucking amazing. Lush, vibrant, bright colours with smooth looking models along with a landscape that doesn't seem to cluttered and "realistic" but rather more of an artistic representation of what that landscape looks like. It looks good. Damn good in fact!

Just a shame the story seems to be sucking cock. Kinda drains any passion and excitement I would have for the game. And it taints my perception of the visuals a bit too, not gonna lie. There's only so many times I can "save the world from evil" before I start cutting my wrists. They can't ask me to get invested and immersed in a world if I find the writing contrived and uncreative, nor can the visuals carry that immersion for me. Gorgeous aesthetics is just the surface. For me, it's gotta be supported by a solid core, a solid plot.

Shame. What a waste of brilliant artists and designers...

May be the plot won't be so bad after all, you know. Sure, ancient evil arising as a premise is as uninspiring as you can get, but may be an execution will be brilliant, or really good, or may be just good enough. I sure hope it will be at least good enough because the game seems massive, with a good variation of environments. Art style is not my most favorite, but I can get used to it. Reminds me Divinity 2 DKS, which is an awesome game.

Top Bottom