I'm still confused about this "open world" thing in TW3

+
I tried to search as much information as possible but still can't find any comfirmation about how 'open world' works

simple question : is it fully open world? like, if I miss any quest or item from the beginning I can comeback and grab it whenever I want?
areas are not restrict like TW1&2 right?
in the trailer it said "multi-region open world" <<< what does that means...

If i remember correctly depending on your choices you may lose some quests

Yes they said open world so we will see how open it is when we play the game.
Depending on your choices some quests will not show after you revisit places.

Is it confirmed? I also don't think that there will be more locations. The only question actually would be what's comprised in the No Man's Land.
I think it will be part of temeria and near kingdoms in the west (map borders draw by me)

I've heard that southern kingdoms will be nilfgaardian's lands so we can't go on them
I draw the map based on landscapes division, since they said that there won't be any invisible wall, the explorable lands should make sense

i am pretty sure the cd project red said that theyre were no loading screens in game

But CDPR, bless them, said that about Witcher 2 as well, but it had loading screens. Some interior/exterior change went by fluently, but others did not. As in a loading screen came up. Briefly, but still. You have to determine what counts as loading. Is it but a second of loading or pause in the game, or is it the screen going black/or showing artwork or a loading bar filling up?

Besides, what is a in-game cinematic but another loading screen? Well, sometimes it can be anyway.

I don't actually care, loading screens can warrant some beautiful artwork and whatnot, and I've got my answer in this thread. Now I finally know what multi-region means. I think it sounds pretty sweet to be honest. :happy:

Last edited:
But CDPR, bless them, said that about Witcher 2 as well, but it had loading screens. Some interior/exterior change went by fluently, but others did not. As in a loading screen came up. Briefly, but still. You have to determine what counts as loading. Is it but a second of loading or pause in the game, or is it the screen going black/or showing artwork or a loading bar filling up?

Actually they never said there will be no loading screens at all in The Witcher 2, only that they reduce it greatly to just a few, when compared to the first game. They said there will be probably a one loading screen between Skellige and a rest of the world, because Skellige is so far away, that showing this journey in a real time would be extremely boring.

hm...so it's pretty much a ful open world with loading screen like Assassin's creed 3?

It uses streaming technology, so if there are any loading screens its only between regions (perhaps interiors too).
Like in Skyrim.

Travelling from Skellige Islands to the mainland will most likely be done via a region loading screen,
similar to the journey from Solstheim to Skyrim.

That is completely fine with me though, especially if you consider the size of the world in TW3.

Yes it is confirmed. And they've said we will be visiting locations that are not tied to those 3 regions, but didn't say what these places will be. A good guess would be Kaer Morhen.

What's about Mahakam. A huge dwarven mine and a lot of fine steel to craft witcher swords. :D

And I guess we will also visit Nilfgaard at some point.

What's about Mahakam. A huge dwarven mine and a lot of fine steel to craft witcher swords. :D

Oh yes! The thing I wait for the most is to sharpen my witcher's sword on some beautiful, supermodel mocapped she-dwarf! I hope that they mocap she-dwarf's beard too.

CDPR officialy confirms she-dwarves & she-troll sex scenes as a CE bonus at June 5th, mark my words.

If we add all the information about the locations up there will be some loading screens for sure.:crybaby:

Skellige to main land and other locations not directly tied to NML and Novigrad.
Hopefully they disguise them good enough so that we get the impression of 'fully' open world.

If we add all the information about the locations up there will be some loading screens for sure.:crybaby:

Skellige to main land and other locations not directly tied to NML and Novigrad.
Hopefully they disguise them good enough so that we get the impression of 'fully' open world.

To be honest, even if there was a loading screen when passing between all 3 main regions, it would be negligible. Each region equates to an impressively sized game in its own right. I don't necessarily want to, but using Skyrim (because the maths has already been done) as a comparison, Skellige is 1.6 times the size. Novigrad is 2 times. No Man's Land details haven't been divulged to my knowledge, but from what I understand, it's likely to be larger.

Marry this with the apparent philosophy of minimal long-distance travelling, be it to other ends of a territory, or to new lands, it most certainly will be a rare occurrence.

Skyrim was considered a 'fully' open world. And that had loading screens for *every* interior location. That may not be the case for W3, further trivialising three measly loading events.

Last edited:
This is all speculation based on this GDC slide:

CDPR haven't actually confirmed or denied anything regarding this, so far. So keep that in mind.

This is all speculation based on this GDC slide:

CDPR haven't actually confirmed or denied anything regarding this, so far. So keep that in mind.

Didn't Marcin confirm on this forum that they are the areas given for the level designers to work with? He said that the playable area could have a slight disparity with those figures, but they are correct nonetheless. He also clarified that 'Novigrad' was the city and surrounding region.

Top Bottom