Linux issues and user solutions

+
Sorry i didn't mention it. I already have 16:9 aspect ration and more over - it doesn't matter which AR i choose in all cases i have 1920px option only.
Your User.ini does not have [Rendering] -> AspectRatio=0 key hence my idea, try to add it with an editor, and use that resolution, DO NOT start the Configurator after since you already have it set up and it might mess up your edits..

hardwareluxx.de is a legitimate enthusiast site for German-language power users. But the driver should also be available from AMD's German support page by now.

"Linux kernel 2.6 or above (up to 3.13)" -- does this mean no go on 3.14, or just that you're on your own if you're running a 3.14 kernel?

And can anybody confirm whether they got Tahiti support into this driver?

And can anybody confirm whether they got Tahiti support into this driver?

Yeah, it supports Tahiti cards. So far, so good, I have it stable with Debian wheezy, stock 3.2 kernel, but 3D performance is as miserable as you'd expect with that old kernel; I'll try with jessie and 3.14 and install TW2 tomorrow.

Update: Zero problems installing and a few minor glitches running with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (3.13 kernel).
AMD FX-8120 (yuck), 970 chipset, 16GB RAM, AMD HD 7750 1GB
Game decided it wanted to run 1280x720 on a 1280x1024 monitor.
Hesitations on point-of-view changes, background textures sometimes delayed in loading.
None of the mouse lag that has plagued some players.
I'll post timings later.

The driver did not like Debian jessie and 3.14. DKMS refuses to build the driver, and it comes up without OpenGL functionality. I don't have time right now to look into why.

Last edited:
No technical issues of any-kind--yet, just some positive feedback. Thought it would be fine to post here :ice:

Geralt and I are on another journey huzzah! Still in the Prologue but everything works pretty well :) I will give a little more info this weekend when I go to Flotsam which should provide a better representation of performance. I am using the public beta. From what I've read, looks like the developers have put in a lot of work because it runs quite well. Aside from vsync giving me such a large performance hit unlike in Windows, I would have thought this a native port----------but I have only played ~30 minutes worth :)

@Glaroug: If you have chance, can you please give a try to some of the mods (like the pirouette one) and see if they have case sensitivity issues? I'm waiting for the GOG release, so I don't have the Linux version yet :) (GOG really could offer those Linux betas as extras for those who already bought the Witcher 2. Don't they want more testing?).

I think I saw them in the previous release as well.

Last edited:
Think I'll post in here since I don't have a major issue, aside from the hanging lag between cutscenes. Still runs a lot better than Metro Last Light for me. If I had an oren for every time Metro has crashed.... argh!

Geralt with a Beard mod work. The beard looks quite good :yes Need to test Bag instead of book on armor

Thanks for pointing out these mods! Just installed them - they work fine (in Wine though. GOG still didn't release the Linux version).

I noticed one anomaly lately though. When in the Foltest's army camp, saves often down produce a thumbnail. Not sure why. I even removed all mods - it still persists.

Last edited:
At last GOG released TW2 for Linux. Just downloaded version 1.0.0.3. Running it on Debian testing required some i386 packages to install (it could be more, but I could have them already for example for Wine and etc.):

Code:
sudo apt-get install libsdl2-2.0-0:i386 libgtk2.0-0:i386 libsdl2-image-2.0-0:i386 libcurl3:i386 libcurl3-gnutls:i386

Also, there is a bug with speech file for some reason which causes no sound in dialogs (it's already reported in the tracker). To work around it, create such symlink in CookedPC (do it for the corresponding language as needed):

Code:
ln -s en0.w2speech EN0.w2speech

I didn't test much, but otherwise the game works OK, and it looks nice. No more annoying black spots bug which affects Wine!

Last edited:
So is it native this time?

If it is it would be interesting to run some tests. Measure FPS, load times and general response times under similar game conditions, same game configuration, same hardware, different OS's.

Top Bottom