New version of the Cyberpunk RPG?

+
I agree with you ..

I thik that now .. in the near future after success of the computer game ... it is the best time to Launch a new Edition CP 2077 - Mike Podsmith as a supervisor ( of course ) . This is the Best oppourtunity to do that ... A

With publisher there will be no problem couse many of them would like .. to earn money ( its simple as that ) and I mean HUGEE money beacouse if player as us are about milons in the world .. just imagine if CP 2077 corebook would cost about 30 40 $ then multiple this form lets says 2.000000 milons people it is... 80000000 milions dollars ... now tell me that If you werent a publisher you would dream to earn this sick amount of money !!!!!!!!!!!!

Fantasy Flight Games and Wizard of the Coast would eat each other alive just to publish it ...

Im telling you all . NOW or Never - The People has spoken ...

Ghsost Whisper

Nope. No new edition. Chrome 5.

Right now, Mike and co are slaving away on Mekton. If they get it done and shipped by, say, the Fall/late summer, and started work on Chrome 5 immediately, if they haven't already in some form, it will still take months. They will also be consulting on CP2077 and, we hope, doing voice work!

A new edition of 2020, done right, would take months and months.

And, 2020 is pretty good. A few minor fixes like Roles being open to everyone if your GM wants that, drugs being 1/10th the price and HtH damage being toned down or a non-lethal option being added generally "fixes" the game. IU does a much more comprehensive job but you can play the base game just fine.

About the only stuff I want to see in a new edition, other than the above, would be Netrunning made officially group-viable and, of course, world and tech update to 2077. And that, the updates to tech and setting, will hopefully come in Chrome 5.

Nope. No new edition. Chrome 5.

Right now, Mike and co are slaving away on Mekton. If they get it done and shipped by, say, the Fall/late summer, and started work on Chrome 5 immediately, if they haven't already in some form, it will still take months. They will also be consulting on CP2077 and, we hope, doing voice work!

A new edition of 2020, done right, would take months and months.

And, 2020 is pretty good. A few minor fixes like Roles being open to everyone if your GM wants that, drugs being 1/10th the price and HtH damage being toned down or a non-lethal option being added generally "fixes" the game. IU does a much more comprehensive job but you can play the base game just fine.

About the only stuff I want to see in a new edition, other than the above, would be Netrunning made officially group-viable and, of course, world and tech update to 2077. And that, the updates to tech and setting, will hopefully come in Chrome 5.

It still seems like a bigger headache than it's worth for new player, believe me. It's not about flipping pages in the core book anymore, it's about remembering you have to drop that book to pick another book or something you've printed out, etc. Imagine you don't remember if this or that is halved and you think the info in a particular publication is current, but you don't do the same on another place. We NEED a new PnP edition that has all of it together and compiled, it's really scary to jump in knowing that you'll have to juggle so much with things like the weight a character with a score of strength can lift etc. I also want to either be able to play in an Europe setting that is true to the original but also seems like a natural progression to the current state of things. If I'm going to invite a group of players into a CP session and I tell them how gritty and dystopian and low life it all is and I tell them that Europe is an economic superpower in 2020 and everyone lives well and they have faxes (XD)... they'd be put off. Mr Pondsmith, please: recapture the feeling, use the feedback you've got, and make a new CP PnP that will attract new fans.

Exactlly.. Chrome 5 - well this not make tge Deal ...

The deal makes only new CP 2077 P P - and doesnt matter if they work on it dozen of months or even a year or two ... They will earn Huge money hundrets of milons dollar--- If just make a new release ..

Its simple . People dont want CP 2020 anymore they want new Product with new graphic, events , gear, backround - everything best in CP 2020 plus Hig tech from 2077

Its the voice of the people - And the People spend money on waht they need/want , not waht is given to them

Ghost whisper

I've yet to see any PnP RPG that didn't have it's share of problems. And that includes the soon to be released D&D Next (or 5th Edition - or whatever it's called).
While it's a bit hard on new players and GMs to have to deal with "issues" in the rules it's also a good thing because it encourages them to learn that the rules of and RPG are guidelines, NOT etched-in-stone commandments. Yeah, we all know a few "rules lawyers", and for the most part ignore them because they choose not to understand how PnP RPGs really work.
And even without the rule problems any game that's lasted more then a couple sessions has invariably incorporated a "house rule" or fifty to deal with something some player wants to do that's not covered in the published rules. Again, this is a strength not a weakness, because if anyone tried to print a set of rules that covered every contingency it'd easily fill a truck rather then a few books.

Well a lot of good opinions here ^^ and I'm kind of split between the people who want a new PnP book, and the other ones, who think the actual book is fine if you use house rules and just ask for more side material (like a new Chromebook).
So, as a guy who actually never played CP2020 (eventhough I did go through the books to see what it looked like) and only discovered it when CDPR said they were doing a game about it, well, I'd definitly LOVE to have a new edition with renewed techs, timeline, and art (the 90s art looks funny and a bit outdated when you're born after the book came out :p ). I think I'd help get more people to play the game, refine the old mechanics, as well as giving you an opportunity to play in Europe without getting your hands on EuroSource Plus (for those who actually live in the Old World). But I agree I'd take a looong time to get that, and no RPG mechanics are flawless. So, I do also agree with those who say that the actual edition is fine already and you just need to add some house rules, and just need a new chromebook to set things straight, to be more related to the world we live in today.
But, I tend more towards a new rulebook, that'd just be great! :)

the 90s art looks funny and a bit outdated when you're born after the book came out :p
Be carefull lol.
Even if it's a matter of tastes anyway (IMO the 2020's art were more than fine, sure no "photoshop-to-death", but the drawing were cool), when you see how shitty (and, sorry there is no other word...) the arts were in Cyberpunk V3, I'd take 1million arts of Cyberpunk 2020 over 1 from Cyberpunk V3.
Cyberpunk 2020:

Cyberpunk V3: (not kidding, it's the actual V3's arts...)

First time I saw it, I thought "Holy crap, is it an unoficial book or something?"
Nope, It was just R Talsorian, low on art-budget.
I think the 2020's art style fitted well the universe and the "dirty street side" that the US cyberpunk has.

About the Pnp, sure a new edition would be pretty cool (Honnestly, I had to download mine... not that I would'nt wanted to pay, but sorry, my country's edition is dead for 15years, and i'm not willing to pay 100€ for an over-used edition, and I don't know why, the R Tarlsorian store doesn't work for me, so I ended up printing the whole thing... and I'm not the only one.). But the pnp players are way less that it was before, the only credible way to give us a new updated Cyberpunk 2077 edition would be if the game sell really well and that the Pnp get somewhat of a revival (It's really expensive to print, and ditribute a book who would be something like 1000 pages longs, if it takes all the rules / background / Items / Cybenetics / Weapon inside + the arts.), otherwise, honnestly, I'm already more than happy that they release Chrome 5 for a 20years old living-dead pnp rpg, I'll maybe buy it if it's not too much expensive, for the support.
And, as I said, the only way for having a new edition, is that peoples are interested in it, I doubt they would spend that much time and money for a handfull of freaks playing a 20yo rpg hardly remembered by anyone (It's not as popular as Dungeon & Dragon or Shadowrun, and often Cyberpunk has bad reviews, so as it is, it's not a good start point)

As you said, if the computer game sells well, and there is chance (or hope) to earn money, they will jump at it. I would prefer new edition that takes in acount some of the modifications from the modified chronology and technology (like celphones).

I was hoping that all the art I dump in the art thread maybe caught the eye of Mike for a future PnP edition. I'd like them to portray the authentic CP2013/20/77 world with their sick skills.

Be carefull lol.
Even if it's a matter of tastes anyway (IMO the 2020's art were more than fine, sure no "photoshop-to-death", but the drawing were cool), when you see how shitty (and, sorry there is no other word...) the arts were in Cyberpunk V3, I'd take 1million arts of Cyberpunk 2020 over 1 from Cyberpunk V3.
Cyberpunk 2020:

Cyberpunk V3: (not kidding, it's the actual V3's arts...)

First time I saw it, I thought "Holy crap, is it an unoficial book or something?"
Nope, It was just R Talsorian, low on art-budget.
I think the 2020's art style fitted well the universe and the "dirty street side" that the US cyberpunk has.

About the Pnp, sure a new edition would be pretty cool (Honnestly, I had to download mine... not that I would'nt wanted to pay, but sorry, my country's edition is dead for 15years, and i'm not willing to pay 100€ for an over-used edition, and I don't know why, the R Tarlsorian store doesn't work for me, so I ended up printing the whole thing... and I'm not the only one.). But the pnp players are way less that it was before, the only credible way to give us a new updated Cyberpunk 2077 edition would be if the game sell really well and that the Pnp get somewhat of a revival (It's really expensive to print, and ditribute a book who would be something like 1000 pages longs, if it takes all the rules / background / Items / Cybenetics / Weapon inside + the arts.), otherwise, honnestly, I'm already more than happy that they release Chrome 5 for a 20years old living-dead pnp rpg, I'll maybe buy it if it's not too much expensive, for the support.
And, as I said, the only way for having a new edition, is that peoples are interested in it, I doubt they would spend that much time and money for a handfull of freaks playing a 20yo rpg hardly remembered by anyone (It's not as popular as Dungeon & Dragon or Shadowrun, and often Cyberpunk has bad reviews, so as it is, it's not a good start point)

HOLY SH*T! Okay the V3 art does look horrible! I'm happy about CP2020 art after all ^^
It's just that art, not only the style but also the tools to do it have evolved so much, that it does look a bit old, but I didn't mean it in a bad way. Some illustrations are actually very nice (like the first pic you posted for example).

But yes, the only way to have a new edition would be that the game sells well. But even so, of all the gamers who'll buy the game, how many would be interested in a new PnP book? 10-15%? I don't even know if that'd be enough to make them do a new edition...

HOLY SH*T! Okay the V3 art does look horrible! I'm happy about CP2020 art after all ^^
It's just that art, not only the style but also the tools to do it have evolved so much, that it does look a bit old, but I didn't mean it in a bad way. Some illustrations are actually very nice (like the first pic you posted for example).

But yes, the only way to have a new edition would be that the game sells well. But even so, of all the gamers who'll buy the game, how many would be interested in a new PnP book? 10-15%? I don't even know if that'd be enough to make them do a new edition...

Well, that's the business world for you. No risk, no gain. I think they have to do something. Chromebook 5 is to me the product that only caters to people who already have CP2020 or have been playing it all this time. There's still PnP rpg players, although maybe the hobby is not as popular as it once was. I'm sure there will be people who'd buy a new PnP even if they won't buy the videogame. Seeing how things are, seeing how much more difficult it would be for me to try and understand which things still apply, which things don't, trying to attract people to a genre, a setting that I find attractive but may be totally off-putting for them for the outdated bits... or having to invent myself the outdated bits that will most assuredly clash with whatever CP2077 brings to the table... I myself don't feel like buying what's there. I'll be missing out, sure, but I think R. Talsorian will be too. That's how PnP RPG editorial business works, you have to make products and products that will attract a new audience too. And no, don't V3 me. It doesn't have to be that way, just believing that's the only thing that can come out of this enterprise is a falacy on its own.

Yeah, I'd love to see a 2077 edition of the PnP rules.
We earn from our past mistakes (hopefully), "borrow" ideas that work from other products, incorporate some "better" ideas we've had over the last few years of game play/development and a new edition, while similar to the original, is a radically new game in all but setting (and even that's probably been updated).

Hey folks.

Here are some of the other threads on this subject:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/27803-New-version-of-the-Cyberpunk-RPG

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/26930-Possible-game-update-for-PnP/page3

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/27478-No-new-edition-in-the-works-dammit-all

Not that I have any real issue with a thread for you guys to talk about it, of course, but there is at least one fairly definitive answer. Going to merge a couple of these threads.

This question will pop up a lot in the next couple years, so I'll leave new threads in place for awhile, but eventually merge them.

Last edited:
Okay, so maybe, we WILL have what we all hope for, a new edition! Hopefully released more or less at the same time the game is released (it would make sense, no?).
Like decatonkeil says, it will probably attract new players and help the new ones get more into the feel. I like that idea.
Maybe wisdom000 will even have his wish come true and write for R. Talsorian, who knows, who knows...
Only time will tell

Okay, so maybe, we WILL have what we all hope for, a new edition! Hopefully released more or less at the same time the game is released (it would make sense, no?).
Like decatonkeil says, it will probably attract new players and help the new ones get more into the feel. I like that idea.
Maybe wisdom000 will even have his wish come true and write for R. Talsorian, who knows, who knows...
Only time will tell

Don't we all wish to work for Mike Pondsmith? :D

Top Bottom