The General Videogame Thread

+
Aw, who developed the part of the submarine in Wolfenstein: The New Order had to be filled with sadism. I was stuck at that point at least for 1 hour... when I died for the *unknow* time I cursed even in German.
Then I took a break ... and then the first retry was successful, amen.

And now I am stuck again, Nazis everywhere and I have only 60 points of health, great. :teeth:

Let me guess, the Autoshotgun Guys are tearing you a new one?

Yeah, the game is hard but it's unfair. I think they did a mistake by making hitscanning enemies so tough. They really need to take a look at Doom when designing enemies. Shotgun guys and Chaingunners are very dangerous but also easily disposable while the beefier enemies have projectile attacks which makes the game a lot more balanced.

Reached chapter 3 of Blackguards and still going. It is actually a lot of fun, but very hard. Some times the game throws two or three battles in a row and your success is largely dependent on your good performance on the previous battles, since you aren't allowed to rest, heal or even restock in between.

I like the character creation/development system. It's open enough for interesting combinations, such as archer/healer or a dodge/agility based warrior. All new talents must be learned from trainers and have strict requirements (in terms of attributes or other talents), so there's quite a bit of planning involved. Except for the story progression, which is pretty straightforward, there really isn't much handholding. You can totally screw up your battles from the beginning and maybe even semi screw up your character builds, and that's GOOD! Part of the game is knowing what to do, not just pressing the win button.

With this, The Banner Saga and Expeditions: Conquistador, I have to say I'm really loving this newish strategy/cRPG hybrid. Of these, Expeditions Conquistador and Blackguards are the better games; the Banner Saga wins in presentation, but not in content.

Let me guess, the Autoshotgun Guys are tearing you a new one?

Yeah, the game is hard but it's unfair. I think they did a mistake by making hitscanning enemies so tough. They really need to take a look at Doom when designing enemies. Shotgun guys and Chaingunners are very dangerous but also easily disposable while the beefier enemies have projectile attacks which makes the game a lot more balanced.
Yeah :\
No Autoshotgun guys, but this time I am on a helicopter and as soon as I set foot on the ground the Nazis thrown on top of me or almost. I managed to kill a few big ones after firing from behind a shelter, and thanks to a well placed grenade but they went behind me and my "shelter" and kill me instantly. I think I'll have to think up something, like running toward the building where the first soldiers are dead....

Just finished Shadow Warrior. It has a surprisingly interesting story for a FPS / hack-n-slash game. That's how they are supposed to be done. By the way, the ending leaves some questions.

it first showed the rain and then the camera went back and showed Hoji's sister lying on the ground. What happened there?

Also, it's good to note that developers released their game DRM-free.

Last edited:
Just finished Shadow Warrior. It has a surprisingly interesting story for a FPS / hack-n-slash game. That's how they are supposed to be done. By the way, the ending leaves some questions.

it first showed the rain and then the camera went back and showed Hoji's sister lying on the ground. What happened there?

Leave it to a former CDPR dev to turn a silly parody into a legitimate drama right at the end. The ending in SW is an example of deft and skillful writing.

As to Hoji's sister....
She apparently dies of grief or goes back into slumber because Hoji dies. It is a vague ending, but if you wait until the camera pans out and comes back a few times, the only thing left is Wang's sword.

They plan to release a tool set btw, which means mods for both of their games. Try a few runs in the challenge mode, because it's much harder than the story mode and a fun arena shoot out.

Last edited:
Leave it to a former CDPR dev to turn a silly parody into a legitimate drama right at the end. The ending in SW is an example of deft and skillful writing.

Ah, so it has some CDPR roots, I should have known when I saw Adam Skorupa as a composer in the credits :) That probably also explains their attitude to DRM. The music in the game is great and atmospheric by the way.

I'll watch the ending again (I thought it started looping, so I didn't see the whole thing it seems).

Mods sound interesting, I wonder if they'll enable whole new stories or just modifications of the original game.

UPDATE: Just checked, their second game is Hard Reset, but it's not available outside Steam, I guess because of a different publisher.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Hard Reset requires Steam. In some ways it's a lot better than SW, but gameplay isn't quite as balanced. As for mods, I expect MP to be one of the first things to get developed..They wrote their own engine so who knows how comprehensive the toolset will be. The interesting thing about FWH is they're committed to a fast turnover. Instead of huge games released every 3-4 years, they want to make smaller games on a 1.5-2 year cycle.

I watched the camera returning 5 times.

In my version Wang doesn't disappear and Ameonna (Hoji's sister) is still lying on the ground every time the camera returns. I guess it's version dependent. One can conclude from the remaining rain that she didn't fall back into slumber and didn't die either. So that part isn't very clear.

I watched the camera returning 5 times.

In my version Wang doesn't disappear and Agamemnon (Hoji's sister) is still lying on the ground every time the camera returns. I guess it's version dependent. One can conclude from the remaining rain that she didn't fall back into slumber and didn't die either. So that part isn't very clear.

He disappeared for me, and so did Ameonna. So somethings going on here...

Here's the wiki on her:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ameonna

Did I mention how I love Fallout new Vegas? :huh:
I still find new NPCs and new ways to solve quests, and even new quests... after I played the game 300 hours overall.

Damn, I love MK. One of the game series I grew up with. Even played MKII and 3 at the arcade.

If this is any good I hope it comes out for the computer too.

And wtf is up with that wretched music? MK used to be known for its electronic and industrial music, or tribal/traditional/mystical in the case of MK I & II.

When I was little I was quite obsessed with MK 3 and 4. I remember badgering my parents to give me money to go to internet cafes to play it non stop. Good times!

I was very impressed with the last MK, when it finally came to PC. Let's hope this one is just as worthy and let's hope they release it on PC simultaneously with consoles.

Yeah, I dunno what's up with that song. And yes, it'd be nice if it came out on PC sooner this time around.

Top Bottom