US F ederal Court Strikes Down Net Neutrality

+
gregski said:
Same here. And it's not only for switching from another carrier, but even if you just want to sign a new agreement with them.

Yep. I got mine as a promotion from verizon. They just sent it to me and instantly made me one very happy customer.

I don't care about tablets given by ISPs, since I can buy one if I need it. And I'd rather buy one which I need and which I can customize, not one which the carrier tries to give me with all kind of junk preinstalled (and which most probably comes with a locked bootloader, so no luck with installing other operating systems there). However getting a service you need is not always an option. Competition for ISPs means lower pirces for higher bandwidth, decent customer support, no contracts and no data caps.

And by the way, about Verizon - they are known to cause all kind of problems for tablets which "aren't authorized" (i.e. tablets with 3G/LTE connectivity). Just search for subjects like Nexus 7 not working on Verizon. I.e. if you get it from them - OK, but try connecting your own tablet - you can be out of luck. Such weirdness is unheard of in Europe.

Let's see what picture this is:

Aha! There we go.

No news on when they are going to fix this damned mess?

Went into a 120-day comment period back on May 15. So the FCC will do nothing but listen to advocates and lobbyists until mid-September, then probably do nothing because then it will be only a month and a half until elections. I wouldn't expect any real action until next year.

At least they're listening and doing nothing, rather than trying to cram the "fast lane" proposal through.

Not entirely unexpected I think. More and more companies are realizing that they will depend on high-bandwidth Internet sooner or later (probably sooner). And they really don't want to depend on the likes of Comcast when that happens.

@shinobi2u : We surely are usually paying too much for too little when it comes to Internet access. ;) For example Google Fiber (which is available only in a very few places so far) offers symmetrical 1 Gbit/s for $70 per month. And they say their service is profitable. Most providers offer way way less bandwidth and often for higher prices. I'd gladly pay $70 for a gigabit connection, but nothing like that exists in my area.

One question though which that article is ignoring is how much money is spent on expanding / upgrading the network. Those expenses are substantial. But given that most current ISPs practically stagnate and don't upgrade anything (Verizon and AT&T practically stopped upgrading their DSL to fiber optics) you can bet they are making huge profits with minimal expenses.

Last edited:
@shinobi2u : We surely are usually paying too much for too little when it comes to Internet access. ;) For example Google Fiber (which is available only in a very few places so far) offers symmetrical 1 Gbit/s for $70 per month. And they say their service is profitable. Most providers offer way way less bandwidth and often for higher prices. I'd gladly pay $70 for a gigabit connection, but nothing like that exists in my area.

Here in Central Europe Master Area 1Gbps goes as low as 19 €/month with all cities and even smaller towns being covered.

Not that I shall speak of such things as a village peasant I am, with my prehistoric microwave transmitted 6Mbps jokenection. :teeth:

Last edited:
Here in Central Europe Master Area 1Gbps goes as low as 19 €/month with all cities and even smaller towns being covered.

I'm not surprised. In many places in Europe network cables are "unbundled", i.e. there is a requirement for companies which own them to let competitors use them for offering Internet service. It naturally results in higher quality, more competition and lower prices. I wish something like that would be done in US, but even what's happening now is a step in the right direction. Hopefully unbundling will the second step.

Moderator: Political flamebait is forbidden on this forum. Do not characterize government actions as dishonest: either you have no proof, and it is flamebait, or you have such proof as merits airing in the Congress or the courts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moderator: Political arguments are out of order on this forum, regardless of any truth or merit to them.

If you have concrete proposals for legislating Net neutrality within the framework of US government, make them. Otherwise this thread will be locked.

Elon Musk plans to create a low orbit satellite ISP and offer gigabit bandwidth worldwide:

That's going to give all these Comcasts and Verizons a good kick.

Top Bottom