Can the Wild Hunt take The entire Empire?!

+
Can the Wild Hunt take The entire Empire?!

i mean the wild hunt isnt a full army right? it just a ship full of powerful ghost warriors,
how they can take an entire empire?!
i mean the empire nilfgaard are rich each soldier heavily armored and quipped and trained..

It is just a brigade of cavalry. Nothing too fancy. They are quite powerful individuals though.

The Wild Hunt isn't a full army, just a cavalry unit.

Still, they remain the spearhead for the armies of the Aen Elle.
There'd be plenty troops to back them up, if needed.

But the Wild Hunt's goal is to capture Ciri, so they probably won't risk an open war with Nilfgaard.

I guess we'll see some skirmishes and battles between the remnants of the Northern Kingdoms and Nilfgaard,
and while they are smashing each others heads in, the Wild Hunt strikes at towns/cities where they suspect Ciri.

It is just a brigade of cavalry. Nothing too fancy. They are quite powerful individuals though.

I guess that when they appear as specters like in TW1 they cannot be killed/banished without silver or magic? If they actually travel to Geralts world they probably are just big and strong elves that will bleed and die, like one of the flashbacks in TW2 mentions. Letho even asks Geralt when he regains his memory something like "so you are saying you were carried off by real material elves?"

I guess that when they appear as specters like in TW1 they cannot be killed/banished without silver or magic? If they actually travel to Geralts world they probably are just big and strong elves that will bleed and die, like one of the flashbacks in TW2 mentions. Letho even asks Geralt when he regains his memory something like "so you are saying you were carried off by real material elves?"

Yeah, indeed. Them elves are pretty darn strong it seems to me, even though we don't really know much about them. And they are old and experienced, since in their world, nobody is killing them.

i mean the wild hunt isnt a full army right? it just a ship full of powerful ghost warriors,
how they can take an entire empire?!
i mean the empire nilfgaard are rich each soldier heavily armored and quipped and trained..

Beware, massive book spoilers inside!
First, the Wild Hunt are no ghost warriors. Second, they don't take an entire empire. They are not an army, only a rather small bunch of powerful evlen warriors from another world and dimension who kidnap humans to make them slaves in their own world from time to time. In the game (and after the events of the book) they search for Ciri everywhere since she has the power they want to have. Ciri can travel through time, space and dimensions and she also has the power to open a big "world-travelling door" which would enable the Wild Hunt and their race to invade other worlds with a whole army. They hate humans and see them more as animals than as respectable creatures. Ciri is the descendant of a genetically manipulated elven woman who betrayed the ambitions of the elven race (in their eyes) by having a child with a human man and fought for a reconciliation between elves and humans. Many people wanted to abuse Ciri in order to get her genes which are believed to be the only way to escape from the prophecy that said that the witcher world would end soon in an ice age. One basic story motive of the novels is that many people want a child from Ciri (sorcerers, emperors, the Wild Hunt/Aen Elle) to obtain her power to open doors between different worlds by any means necessary with Geralt and his companions (and Yenefer) trying to defend her. Some want to heal the world by doing so (or escape the prophecy) others just want more power, among them the mighty sorcerer Vilgefortz (who died in the books at the end), the Nilfgaardian emperor Emhyr (who is Ciri's real father...) and the leaders of the Aen Elle, namely Auberon - the erl king - (who died in the books), Avellac'h and Eredin, the leader of the Dearg Ruadhri, the Wild Hunt.

In the following I'll present you some passages from The Lady of the Lake from Andrzej Sapkowski which should introduce you to the rather complex and fantastical world of the witcher. Have fun. ;)

The leader of the riders, a black haired elf, sat on a black and brown stallion with the size of a dragon. The horse wore like every other horse of the unit a coating on which dragon scales were stitched and a demonical horned bucranium on the head. Like all elves the black haired wore a ringmail made of indredibly small rings which huddled against the body like woolen clothes under his vermilion-amaranth-carmine-red cloak.
"Avallac'" he said and saluted.
"Eredin."
"You owe me a favor. You'll pay whenever I claim it."
"I'll pay whenever you claim it."
The black haired descended. Avallac'h did the same and gave Ciri a sign to follow his example. They walked to the group of hills between low white rocks with strange forms which were vegetated with spindle treeds and dwarf-sized bushes of blooming myrtle.
Ciri observed both of them. They were evenly sized which means that both were uncommonly big. But Avallac'h's face was soft while the face of the black haired was akin to a raptor. The bright and the black she thought. Good and evil. Light and dark...

[...]

"The Aen Seidhe, the hill people, are the elves of your world. We are the Aen Elle, the erl people. And yes, Auberon Murcetach is our king"
"The erl king?"
"You could say so."

[...]

"You shall know", [Eredin] continued without waiting for an answer, "that your wild talent won't yield anything. You won't make a leap, don't even try. And even if you succeded you shall know that my Dearg Ruadhri, the red riders, can overtake you even in the abysesses of time and space."

[...]

"We, the Aen Elle, we don't care much about what your ancestor did since we had left this world a long time ago unlike the Aen Seidhe, our cousins. We had chosen another, more interesting universe. To your surprise, people could travel between worlds quite easily back then. Of course with a little talent and exercise. You undoubtfully know what I'm speaking of."
[...]
"We said to ourselves: where is the difference? We will be here and there, who really cares about if the Dh'oine [(elven word for humans)] desperately want to destroy their world and themselves? Let's go elsewehre...to another vesicle..."
[...]
"Then there was the conjunction. Even more worlds emerged. But the door is closed. Closed forever for everyone apart from a few chosen ones. But time presses. The door must be opened. Urgently.That's an imperative. You understand this term?"
"I'm not stupid"
"No, you're not." He turned his head. "You can't be. You're Aen Hen Ichaer, the elder blood. Come closer."

[...]

You are a treatening tool, a dangerous waepon. We can't allow that this weapon falls into the hands of the erl king, the fox and the sparrow hawk.
"Whom?" she stumbled "Oh,..." The fox, crevan. Avallac'h. And I know quite well who the sparrow hawk is.
The erl king is old. But the fox and the sparrow hawk can't obtain the power over the Ard Gaeth, the door of the worlds. They already obtained it once. They already lost it once. Now they can't do any more than wandering about, toddling with small steps between the worlds, alone, like ghosts, powerless. The fox to Tir ná Béa Arainne, the sparrow hawk and his riders on the Great Helix. They can't travel further, they lack the power. That's why they dream of Ard Gaeth and the power. We will show you how they already used this power once. We will show you, star eyed, once you depart from here.
"I can't depart from here. They casted a spell on me. A barrier, Geas Garadh..."
You can't be kept prisoner. You are the mistress of the worlds.
"My eye! I don't have any wild talent, I don't rule over anything. And I cut myself off from the power, in the desert, a year ago. Horsy is my voucher."
In the desert you cut yourself off from the legerdemain. You can't cut yourself off from the power which comes from your blood. You still have it. We will teach you how to use it.
"And it's not incidentally the case", she yelled, " that you want to obtain this power, the mastery of the world which I allegedly have?"
That's not the case. We don't need to obtain this power. We always had it.

[...]

The unicorn led Ciri to one of the canyons.
It's here.
"What's here?"
Descend and see.
She did like she was told to. The ground was uneven and she stumbled. Something cracked and yielded under her foot. A lightning streaked and Ciri screamed out.
She stood in a on ocean of bones.
The sandy slope of the canyon was skidded down, probably washed away by heavy rain. And it had revealed what it once covered: a giant cemetary. A field of corpses. A giant dump of bones. Of shinbones, pelvic bones, rips, thighbones. Of skulls.
She elevated one.
Another lighting and Ciri screamed out. She realized whose bones lay there. The skull which showed traces of a sword blow featured a set of teeth with canine tooths.
Now you understand, it sounded in her head. Now you know. That's what they have done, the Aen Elle. The erl king. The fox. The sparrow hawk. This world wasn't theirs at all. It became theirs. When they conquered it. When they opened the Ard Gaeth once by betraying and exploiting us like they tried to betray and exloit you now.
Ciri compressed the skull in her hand.
"Scoundrels" she screamed into the night. "Murderers!"

Last edited:
First, the Wild Hunt are no ghost warriors. Second, they don't take an entire empire. They are not an army, only a rather small bunch of powerful evlen warriors from another world and dimension who kidnap humans to make them slaves in their own world from time to time. In the game (and after the events of the book) they search for Ciri everywhere since she has the power they want to have. Ciri can travel through time, space and dimensions and she also has the power to open a big "world-travelling door" which would enable the Wild Hunt and their race to invade other worlds with a whole army. They hate humans and see them more as animals than as respectable creatures. Ciri is the descendant of a genetically manipulated elven woman who betrayed the ambitions of the elven race (in their eyes) by having a child with a human man and fought for a reconciliation between elves and humans. Many people wanted to abuse Ciri in order to get her genes which are believed to be the only way to escape from the prophecy that said that the witcher world would end soon in an ice age. One basic story motive of the novels is that many people want a child from Ciri (sorcerers, emperors, the Wild Hunt/Aen Elle) to obtain her power to open doors between different worlds by any means necessary with Geralt and his companions (and Yenefer) trying to defend her. Some want to heal the world by doing so (or escape the prophecy) others just want more power, among them the mighty sorcerer Vilgefortz (who died in the books at the end), the Nilfgaardian emperor Emhyr (who is Ciri's real father...) and the leaders of the Aen Elle, namely Auberon - the erl king - (who died in the books), Avellac'h and Eredin, the leader of the Dearg Ruadhri, the Wild Hunt.

In the following I'll present you some passages from The Lady of the Lake from Andrzej Sapkowski which should introduce you to the rather complex and fantastical world of the witcher. Have fun. ;)

The leader of the riders, a black haired elf, sat on a black and brown stallion with the size of a dragon. The horse wore like every other horse of the unit a coating on which dragon scales were stitched and a demonical horned bucranium on the head. Like all elves the black haired wore a ringmail made of indredibly small rings which huddled against the body like woolen clothes under his vermilion-amaranth-carmine-red cloak.
"Eredin."
The black haired descended. Avallac'h did the same and gave Ciri a sign to follow his example. They walked to the group of hills between low white rocks with strange forms which were vegetated with spindle treeds and dwarf-sized bushes of blooming myrtle.
Ciri observed both of them. They were evenly sized which means that both were uncommonly big. But Avallac'h's face was soft while the face of the black haired was akin to a raptor. The bright and the black she thought. Good and evil. Light and dark...

[...]

"The Aen Seidhe, the hill people, are the elves of your world. We are the Aen Elle, the erl people. And yes, Auberon Murcetach is our king"
"The erl king?"
"You could say so."

[...]

"You shall know", [Eredin] continued without waiting for an answer, "that your wild talent won't yield anything. You won't make a leap, don't even try. And even if you succeded you shall know that my Dearg Ruadhri, the red riders, can overtake you even in the abysesses of time and space."

[...]

"We, the Aen Elle, we don't care much about what your ancestor did since we had left this world a long time ago unlike the Aen Seidhe, our cousins. We had chosen another, more interesting universe. To your surprise, people could travel between worlds quite easily back then. Of course with a little talent and exercise. You undoubtfully know what I'm speaking of."
[...]
"We said to ourselves: where is the difference? We will be here and there, who really cares about if the Dh'oine [(elven word for humans)] desperately want to destroy their world and themselves? Let's go elsewehre...to another vesicle..."
[...]
"Then there was the conjunction. Even more worlds emerged. But the door is closed. Closed forever for everyone apart from a few chosen ones. But time presses. The door must be opened. Urgently.That's an imperative. You understand this term?"
"I'm not stupid"
"No, you're not." He turned his head. "You can't be. You're Aen Hen Ichaer, the elder blood. Come closer."

[...]

You are a treatening tool, a dangerous waepon. We can't allow that this weapon falls into the hands of the erl king, the fox and the sparrow hawk.
"Whom?" she stumbled "Oh,..." The fox, crevan. Avallac'h. And I know quite well who the sparrow hawk is.
The erl king is old. But the fox and the sparrow hawk can't obtain the power over the Ard Gaeth, the door of the worlds. They already obtained it once. They already lost it once. Now they can't do any more than wandering about, toddling with small steps between the worlds, alone, like ghosts, powerless. The fox to Tir ná Béa Arainne, the sparrow hawk and his riders on the Great Helix. They can't travel further, they lack the power. That's why they dream of Ard Gaeth and the power. We will show you how they already used this power once. We will show you, star eyed, once you depart from here.
"I can't depart from here. They casted a spell on me. A barrier, Geas Garadh..."
"My eye! I don't have any wild talent, I don't rule over anything. And I cut myself off from the power, in the desert, a year ago. Horsy is my voucher."
In the desert you cut yourself off from the legerdemain. You can't cut yourself off from the power which comes from your blood. You still have it. We will teach you how to use it.
"And it's not incidentally the case", she yelled, " that you want to obtain this power, the mastery of the world which I allegedly have?"

[...]

It's here.
"What's here?"
Descend and see.
She did like she was told to. The ground was uneven and she stumbled. Something cracked and yielded under her foot. A lightning streaked and Ciri screamed out.
The sandy slope of the canyon was skidded down, probably washed away by heavy rain. And it had revealed what it once covered: a giant cemetary. A field of corpses. A giant dump of bones. Of shinbones, pelvic bones, rips, thighbones. Of skulls.
She elevated one.
Another lighting and Ciri screamed out. She realized whose bones lay there. The skull which showed traces of a sword blow featured a set of teeth with canine tooths.
Now you understand, it sounded in her head. Now you know. That's what they have done, the Aen Elle. The erl king. The fox. The sparrow hawk. This world wasn't theirs at all. It became theirs. When they conquered it. When they opened the Ard Gaeth once by betraying and exploiting us like they tried to betray and exloit you now.

woah woah woah...I think that Wild Hunt has nothing to do with elves in books.

woah woah woah...I think that Wild Hunt has nothing to do with elves in books.
You know nothing, Jon Snow. :p

Eredin says the following to Ciri in The Lady of the Lake:
"Remember your legends. Legends about people missing and returning after a year, only to see the graves of their relatives covered by grass. Are you going to say that they were pure fantasy, things taken from legends ? You are wrong. For centuries, people have been kidnapped, snatched by riders, by the Wild Hunt. Abducted, exploited and then thrown away like an empty shell once consumed. But do not expect to be that lucky, Zireael. You will die here, you will not see the graves of your friends."
Together with his other statements about his riders who can travel through time and space it should be quite obvious. ;)

In Witcher 1 elves refer to the Wild Hunt as red riders.

It's also hinted in Witcher 2. You can buy a book there about the Wild Hun which adds a long entry to your journal with the following last passage:
Aramil, an elf from a parallel world, was pursued by the spectral riders to Loc Muinne, where he found a moment of respite. He left a missive according to which the King of the Hunt desires to fling open the gates between the worlds for all time, so that chaos and terror might reign in our world as well.

Last edited:
They're portrayed like that even in the second game, so it's pretty common knowledge. :p

It is but I take games and books as totally diferent stories because I belive that...
...Geralt and Yen died according to the end of book(I can explain why I think that).
So I take it that there is Andrzej Sapkowsky version and CDPR version with some different outcomes.

In the end: It was all just a dream, nothing more.

The end.

I think the wild hunt can be defeated as they are just as mortal in the world they invade as they are in their own world. But not if they come in their spectral form.

So I take it that there is Andrzej Sapkowsky version and CDPR version with some different outcomes.

I didn't read the last book (Sezon Burz) but I heard that
Geralt turns out to be alive after the events from the previous books

It is but I take games and books as totally diferent stories because I belive that...
...Geralt and Yen died according to the end of book(I can explain why I think that).

That doesn't change the nature of the Wild Hunt. The games are a not-canon continuation of the books (changing their end for that very reason). The world is still the same and so are the characters. ;)

@Kinley
Sapkoswki's newest book is set before the saga. The end of the sage doesn't change. But anyway, it's rather an "open" end than a "final" one. There are different interpretations possible. ;)

That doesn't change the nature of the Wild Hunt. The games are a not-canon continuation of the books (changing their end for that very reason). The world is still the same and so are the characters. ;)

Indeed, and CDPR go to great lengths to stay to true to the books. Even though they create new storylines with the characters, they're still the same characters.

That is my point. I don´t remeber WH beign elves in book so that´s why I should read it again. I thought it is only Witcher game thingy.

The last book's epilogue opened a possibility of Geralt being truly alive after Rivian pogrom, but it's open to interpretation.
I think Sapkowski wanted the books and the games to be more coherent, even though he said it's not canon.

The last book's epilogue opened a possibility of Geralt being truly alive after Rivian pogrom, but it's open to interpretation.
I think Sapkowski wanted the books and the games to be more coherent, even though he said it's not canon.

I believe Sapkowsky said that he himself doesn´t know if they are dead and it is for readers to decide.

I for one really like the fact that, in most areas they do not collide. Sapkowski writing a book that is set in the past, is for me an effort to not completely exclude the games from canon, even if the games are just fan fiction. I guess we will have to wait and see though, if he decided to write books after the ending of the saga.

On topic: Geralt it seems to me was indeed saved by Ihuarahuax the Unicorn, and was taken to another world. But I also might be influenced from the games, since that part of the books wasn't exactly crystal clear.

In my opinion Ciri's line about the story's end is quite characteristic of Sapkowski's view of the story.
Galahad:And that, is the end of the story?
Ciri: Certainly not! You want it to end? I do not!
Seems to me Sapkowski placed another real life fact into his world.
The story never ends, it just keeps going..

Well until we die, I guess :/

"Eredin."

[...]

"The erl king?"
"You could say so."

[...]

[...]

[...]
[...]
"I'm not stupid"

[...]

[...]

It's here.
"What's here?"
Descend and see.
She elevated one.

I see Ciri is a very important character then.
she is like her mother, maybe she can end the wild hunt.

Top Bottom