E3 Discussion Thread

+
90 percent mind blowing.

Great:

- graphics are the best ive ever seen on console

- world looks amazing, and explorable. Can't wait to wander around and just listen to the soundtrack while travelling.

- combat looks great. Rpg combat, but still graphic, gory and mostly smooth looking

- voice acting is fantastic

- inventory looks great to me, i like how they have weapon categories for additional weapons

- I like how geralt has a campfire that he sits at while managing inventory, smart thinking CDPR

- soundtracks better than skyrims

-climbing

The bad

- combat should be more polished

- more animations( maybe we just didn't see any because of time)

- showcase, or at least give some more details on hunting!!!!

End

Seriously though, one thing I could sink many hours into is hunting of animals. This must be in the game like they said. At least I hope so. I saw birds and some dead animals In this gameplay, please CDPR just confirm that hunting will be in!! We already saw geralt hunting a bear in the most recent trailer! Anyways awaiting what they will show and tell tommorow.

Seriously guys? I mean, yeah CDPR hyped all of us, either by interviews, trailers and we're expecting something near perfection. I get it. But take it easy, and by the way. AC combat better? No f* way. AC is much easier, bad AI (since the origins of the saga). However, has great animations true, the one you can reuse from WD and other AAA titles that your company produce in a massive scale.

Does it? Just like AC it seems to be a follow up of animations with no real feeling behind it and those animation are very rough. @sidspyker is rather blunt in his wording but he does not seem to be wrong thus far. Maybe it was a really bad decision to wait so long until actual gameplay since it makes you expect a lot, especially after so many glowing previews and interviews.

Hey, don't be too harsh. It's not that bad, we've barely seen anything, still.
Ofcourse, we'll see in the next conference but I'm judging based on what I saw so far, nothing 'harsh' about it, combat looks like how it's been so far. Animations festival with very little player interaction if at all, but then again it's become Automatic Creed now.

I guess you have no clue about actual REAL sword combat, have you???

Witcher 2/3 combat is based on almost ridiculous sequences which in fact have nothing to do with being a dealy, brutally effective weapon.

And I actually never said what you ascribes to me. Where did I say that the game should be based on simple counter attacks??? I said that combat should be based on real physics which is something completely different. Real physics mean that the game calculates actual collisons accurately, for example between sword and armour or between sword and flesh or between sword and sword. Only that way realistic parrying or dodging is even possible and also realistic reactions of enemies. Right now there aren't even hitzones on enemies, one human enemy is just on "block" and it completely pointless where you hit him, he always reacts the same until he just dies or until some random killing animation starts. That is hack'n'slay at its best.

But man... they never said a word about this, they never planned combat system like this, Im sorry that you are dissapointed but it seems that you dreamed this all up. If you want real physics combat I suggest that you check Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

You're serious?

Combat looks really, really lacking in the video from E3, especially against humans. The whole combat is still based on pre-animated sequences without any real physics involved. No matter where you hit your enemy he always just crouches a little bit. There is no real weapon-based parrying or dodging involved (for which you would need actual physics). The whole combat like that is imo made to look cool (hello, Dragon Age...) instead of staying any true to real sword fighting or the literary basis. Geralt isn't someone running around and making superhero moves in combat. He actually uses as little energy and movement as possible. He kills fast and efficiently, using bad techniques and holes in the defense of his enemies. Killing with a sword is nothing like what we see here in the game here, neither in reality nor in the books. I think it's a shame that they haven't really improved the combat of TW2. Geralt is of course mobile, in the game is a freakin sword-swinging-superhero. The bandits in the camp don't even act like humans, they don't really defend themselves.

The graphics may be really next-gen but the gameplay couldn't be more old-gen and outdated, sorry.

I'm really, really disappointed in that aspect. They missed a big chance here. The combat looks like a TW2 mod on crack... :(

You should read CDPR. True in every word.

I guess you have no clue about actual REAL sword combat, have you???

Witcher 2/3 combat is based on almost ridiculous sequences which in fact have nothing to do with being a dealy, brutally effective weapon.

And I actually never said what you ascribes to me. Where did I say that the game should be based on simple counter attacks??? I said that combat should be based on real physics which is something completely different. Real physics mean that the game calculates actual collisons accurately, for example between sword and armour or between sword and flesh or between sword and sword. Only that way realistic parrying or dodging is even possible and also realistic reactions of enemies. Right now there aren't even hitzones on enemies, one human enemy is just on "block" and it completely pointless where you hit him, he always reacts the same until he just dies or until some random killing animation starts. That is hack'n'slay at its best.

I believe you've mistaken The Witcher for Clang.
Otherwise the combat will become like a fighting game, way to complex for its intents and purposes, with a very steep learning curve for most people.
CDPR were never doing actual physics based sword simulator, if that's what you want, I guess you'll have to find it somewhere else.

Ofcourse, we'll see in the next conference but I'm judging based on what I saw so far, nothing 'harsh' about it, combat looks like how it's been so far. Animations festival with very little player interaction if at all, but then again it's become Automatic Creed now.
I thought you were talking about TW3, edited my post. :)

Might recommend you just dunk your head in bucket of ice water considering how garbage that dragon age presentation looked compared to the Witcher 3. People are damn near hyper ventilating, and acting like freaks over less than five minutes of footage. The fact stands that it is currently a remarkable improvement over witcher 2. How it holds up to other games we will either have to wait for it to be our in own hands, or for more intensive footage.

One thing I like about the combat, is that it feels like it has more weight to it than in TW2 (at least when Geralt's fighting with the deserters).

Oh and I loved the fact that TW3 was the only real on-stage live demo. CDPR has some balls, so does Konrad and Mamais. :victory:

Last edited:
How can you guys be so rude with a little demo in the presentation's day of the event?

Because they hyped the game up to the moon for more than a year now with relatively short trailers that seem like a dream come true.
There are also many previews and interviews stating that the game is the rpg masterpiece to watch out for. That combined tends to make people expect a heck of a lot of the first actual gameplay and atleast for me, there is a big difference between last weeks trailer and this showing.

What those dots on the radar/mini-map means? (some body pls provide a pic)
Griffon is one of them.
Also whole game play looked a bit rushed. To many stuff to show in such short time!

, let me ask you this, do you want the combat to be like in AC?

Let me start by saying that I haven't really enjoyed an AC game since AC2, and probably won't finish Unity either since I think theres no point in expecting changes anymore.
That said, I think AC has the best idea for a sword-fighting combat system that is ever going to be conceived, its purely animation based and you actually feel like you are fencing, the problem is you are fencing with monkeys, if Ubisoft took that system and added dodges, footwork, proper parrying, tuned down the insta kills(but not the kill animations) made it more difficult and made the opponents smart and responsive they would have created the perfect combat system.
I guess I assumed from the trailers that CDPR were going for something like that, a combat system where you actually fight people who respond in different ways to your atacks.:sad:
Hope they surprise me with the final game.

I spoke of controls and gameplay, you are mentioning how things "look" in the books or in reality.
I don't think that there is a clear sepeartion between both. How something looks also determines how something plays and vice versa. ;)

The animations were exaggerated non-efficient styled stuff, im not very happy with them nor unhappy, real physics was something i hoped only in my most ideal dreams, and yet an extremely good combat system can be made without them, especially one much better than that of TW2 or 90% of all Third person perspective games with melee, the enemies reacting similarly to different strikes is just superficial detail. Being a sword swinging super hero might fit the game's mechanics, i dont know it yet because we barely saw a good representation of the systems. The enemies act like that because this is the worst possible piece of footage you could get from a game: An E3 stage demo of 2 minutes.
Sorry but the whole discussion is about the first actual gameplay we saw. We can talk about what is on the table or we could just continue to speculate. Right now the 5 minute gameplay video is the best footage we have to analyze Witcher 3 today.

And while some sword fighting "details" seem to be superficial to you they are crucial to me. Sword fighting is the ONE important gameplay mechanic in this game and it should be pretty perfect which it isn't. And yea, I'm an absolute fanboy of the book so every seperation from the canon will be punished with contempt by myself. :p

To you it looked like it wanted to look cool, to me it looked like it wanted to be functional, later I will judge animations and other superficial things that are clearly unfinished. Also you made me remember, that "He kills fast and efficiently" yet he fights like dancing a ballet, the way Geralt fights is a bit vaguely described in the books imo.
It's not a simple change if your combat is based on actual combat physics or if it's based on a simple hack'n'slay system. That's also not superficial, it's the very core of a combat system.
I think you should actually watch a ballet. Dancing is about elegance, about precision, about the right timing. It's not about brute force, jumping and rolling around and hitting as many times as you could in one minute. A sword dancer is someone who is one with his weapon, who's combat style looks like he kills people without any effort, without any use of brute force, just with technique, with agility, with clever use of physics. Someone who dances with his sword is someone who parries a sword blow, makes a subtle trun, distracts with a quick feint and kills with a fast strike in one of the most vulnerable regions of the human body. That's sword dancing and that's what Sapkowski meant. It's actually nothing like the Geralt from TW2 or TW 3 like it's shown in the video. The Geralt there is just a cool badass who fights with brute force and cool moves, someone who doesn't uses feints, who doesn't parry, who doesn't doge with subtle movements, who doesn't look and feels elegant in fighting at all. ;)

Since TW1 CDPR tried to make a compromise between typical turnbased stats-based and "action" gameplay. Since we do not know anything about the underlying systems of e.g. damage/mitigation and the skilltree I think nobody can say if it will be pure-twitch based or button mash or more stats-based. This was a demo and Geralt's HP was never in any danger of course. Never ever was a "realistc" depiction of swordplay on the table.

Because they hyped the game up to the moon for more than a year now with relatively short trailers that seem like a dream come true.
There are also many previews and interviews stating that the game is the rpg masterpiece to watch out for. That combined tends to make people expect a heck of a lot of the first actual gameplay and atleast for me, there is a big difference between last weeks trailer and this showing.

The real demo behin doors has not been seen yet, so I repeat why these OH, NO's!!!!

Might recommend you just dunk your head in bucket of ice water considering how garbage that dragon age presentation looked compared to the Witcher 3. People are damn near hyper ventilating, and acting like freaks over less than five minutes of footage. The fact stands that it is currently a remarkable improvement over witcher 2. How it holds up to other games we will either have to wait for it to be our in own hands, or for more intensive footage.

Well, most people think the presentation overall was good, regardless of it being short and rushed.

There's nothing wrong with pointing out things we didn't like, after all I think that is what makes this forum special. The ability of being a massive fan about CDPR and their games while also being critical about their work/progress. It's a healthy mentality to have in my opinion.

Let me start by saying that I haven't really enjoyed an AC game since AC2, and probably won't finish Unity either since I think theres no point in expecting changes anymore.
That said, I think AC has the best idea for a sword-fighting combat system that is ever going to be conceived, its purely animation based and you actually feel like you are fencing, the problem is you are fencing with monkeys, if Ubisoft took that system and added dodges, footwork, proper parrying, tuned down the insta kills(but not the kill animations) made it more difficult and made the opponents smart and responsive they would have created the perfect combat system.
I guess I assumed from the trailers that CDPR were going for something like that, a combat system where you actually fight people who respond in different ways to your atacks.:sad:
Hope they surprise me with the final game.

Please tell me you are shitting me.

Top Bottom