E3 Discussion Thread

+
Where is this "realistic combat" stuff coming from? Its really weird seeing people complain about it as if it was something that was promised or was there before(which it wasn't).

There's a guy whose basically pissed of that the combat isn't like Kingdom come deliverance.

Get over it. There won't be "realistic combat" in the game. Its still a bloody a game.

What I want to know is. Can I turn off that bloody mini map?

I believe you've mistaken The Witcher for Clang.
Otherwise the combat will become like a fighting game, way to complex for its intents and purposes, with a very steep learning curve for most people.
CDPR were never doing actual physics based sword simulator, if that's what you want, I guess you'll have to find it somewhere else.

I've already backed Kindgom Come Deliverance, so don't worry about me.... :p

But back to TW3: the game doesn't have to be the perfect sword fighting simulator. But let's be honest: there is only ONE weapon of importance in the game, the sword. I think it's not too much to actually demand a little bit more precision and physics-based fighting in a game like that. Don't get me wrong, the combat in TW2 was kind of solid although based way too much on rolling but this time they had the chance to actually impress people with a real cool, sword combat based gameplay, some real next-gen gameplay stuff. Instead they show us TW2.1 gameplay with updated animations but exactly the same combat core. That's just disappointing imo. So far only the graphics are next-gen or innovative in TW3 and that's not what makes a game great imo.... ;)

And another thing I want to say guys.... Do you really believe all those games were for real? They all showed flawless gameplay and then stuff like watch_dogs fiasco happens when E3 2012 demo is better looking than 2014 ULTRA PC settings. I think people from CDPR were honest with us and showed us real gameplay, not some staged or even prerendered crap...

Well, most people think the presentation overall was good, regardless of it being short and rushed.

There's nothing wrong with pointing out things we didn't like, after all I think that is what makes this forum special. The ability of being a massive fan about CDPR and their games while also being critical about their work/progress. It's a healthy mentality to have in my opinion.

I agree but many people take it too far with outlandish requests and hostile language.

The real demo behin doors has not been seen yet, so I repeat why these OH, NO's!!!!

So your argument is that the real quality gameplay is once again a behind closed door setting that we will not see but only read about in hype previews? Do you not so how terrible that is when the footage that we have seen is a farcry from what many have hoped for? There has been a very long wait until actual gameplay and tonight was the sad result.

Let me start by saying that I haven't really enjoyed an AC game since AC2, and probably won't finish Unity either since I think theres no point in expecting changes anymore.
That said, I think AC has the best idea for a sword-fighting combat system that is ever going to be conceived, its purely animation based and you actually feel like you are fencing, the problem is you are fencing with monkeys, if Ubisoft took that system and added dodges, footwork, proper parrying, tuned down the insta kills(but not the kill animations) made it more difficult and made the opponents smart and responsive they would have created the perfect combat system.
I guess I assumed from the trailers that CDPR were going for something like that, a combat system where you actually fight people who respond in different ways to your atacks.:sad:
Hope they surprise me with the final game.

Oh, but I've played the AC games, the combat may look fun in the beginning each time, but it quickly gets boring and very repetitive.

It does look flashy and pleasing to the eye, but with each game they make it easier and easier, the guys practically flies around killing people in a very spectacular way, but it's way too easy.
If they revise it dramatically it may be really good, but so far I haven't seen anything in that direction.

I just want CDPR to polish the combat in TW3, there is so much potential there.

So your argument is that the real quality gameplay is once again a behind closed door setting that we will not see but only read about in hype previews? Do you not so how terrible that is when the footage that we have seen is a farcry from what many have hoped for? There has been a very long wait until actual gameplay and tonight was the sad result.

Speak for yourself.

They already have?

I'm 98% sure if anything they're optimizing things to fit into consoles and not into pc since that's what they started with.

Well, sad result or not, can't say for everyone but personally i didn't expect groundbreaking combat. I expected kinda upgraded witcher 2 combat, it looks how it looks but it may end up better, remember that this is not final quality of the game. Actually this combat looks better than prealpha combat of witcher 2. Those are truly atrocious animations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbrWu_sQF1Y

Darn no slot in the inventroy for accessories like Cloaks. Ah I was hoping for more fashion options. Its ok tho I am not complaining.

It was not that bad, the only few things that worry me is the graphics a bit, the running animation is a bit weird, and the terrible lag on the consoles.
Hopefully tommorow they show us some pc footage and i also hope that the environment is a bit more alive like dears or rabits or any other things, it felt a bit empty.

And u forget that this game is getting launched in 2015 februari, so they still could polish allot in this game.

You don't showcase a game like TW3 in 5 minutes on a stage. Time limit is what screwed over this presentation. There's so little to digest, all the imperfections come through. Thus the nitpicking.

Short but sweet. What I liked:
- Visuals
- Free-running
- Combat diversity

What I didn't like:
- Blood spots are too bright using witcher senses
- Inventory and UI looks too busy, not sure if UI will be the same for console and PC
- Crossbow firing three bolts?
- Sword deflecting arrows

I'm glad they finally shared a piece of gameplay with us. Release is 9 months away and I'm certain CDProjekt knows there's still work to be done. All in all it was a pretty satisfying demo. Now the community has the ability to give feedback and knowing CDProjekt they surely will listen to the feedback.

And another thing I want to say guys.... Do you really believe all those games were for real? They all showed flawless gameplay and then stuff like watch_dogs fiasco happens when E3 2012 demo is better looking than 2014 ULTRA PC settings. I think people from CDPR were honest with us and showed us real gameplay, not some staged or even prerendered crap...

I agree. Personally, I thought there were some flaws in the gameplay footage, but overall I thought it was great. Most games show you everything that looks perfect and the final game is never anywhere close. The main issue I had was with the combat. Otherwise, the other things I feel will be easily ironed out in 8 months.

You don't showcase a game like TW3 in 5 minutes on a stage. Time limit is what screwed over this presentation. There's so little to digest, all the imperfections come through. Thus the nitpicking.
This pretty much. It was a very poor showing but you can't seriously expect to see things like choices and consequences, tactical combat in 5 minutes.

NEED. LENGTHY. GAMEPLAY.

Sword deflecting arrows
That's... not new.

Last edited:
They already have?

I'm 98% sure if anything they're optimizing things to fit into consoles and not into pc since that's what they started with.

hmm, I think you could be right. It might just be that the xbone version isn't that far like the PC Version, as we didn't see actual PC gameplay footage.

I've already backed Kindgom Come Deliverance, so don't worry about me.... :p

But back to TW3: the game doesn't have to be the perfect sword fighting simulator. But let's be honest: there is only ONE weapon of importance in the game, the sword. I think it's not too much to actually demand a little bit more precision and physics-based fighting in a game like that. Don't get me wrong, the combat in TW2 was kind of solid although based way too much on rolling but this time they had the chance to actually impress people with a real cool, sword combat based gameplay, some real next-gen gameplay stuff. Instead they show us TW2.1 gameplay with updated animations but exactly the same combat core. That's just disappointing imo. So far only the graphics are next-gen or innovative in TW3 and that's not what makes a game great imo.... ;)

And here comes the game design aspect.
You can't please everyone, so how do you please most of the people?

The combat must provide both depth and reward skill, but at the same time not frighten the "normal" people.
After all TW is gaining traction and more and more regular people, not die hard fans, will pick it up, so they must enjoy it as well, so that they are interested in buying more games from CDPR down the line.

It's a business after all and I want them to prosper, because CDPR are one of the few (if not the only) developers that create such games.

Top Bottom