Homosexuality in the witcher

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Emperor..why..why did you do that?! :rofl:

As many have already said Geralt has no interest in homosexual relationships!
I have no problem with gay characters but I wouldn't like if they changed a character in this way, the same as they changed Yennefer, Dandelion, Triss etc...
In the books and in the games there are gay characters: Dethmold, Philippa, Mistle and their sexuality is not their main feature, they are all well-written characters that we remember and appreciate for their personality!:)

If adequately and on topic, what OP wants not going to happen. No offense, but CDPR tries to be faithful to the literary sources.
Yep. Also, even if OP had a chance to influence CDPR's decision on this matter (which he doesn't and never did) it's way, way too late at this point anyway.

Last edited:
So, should I start a thread titled "Well written, complex characters in The Witcher"?

Because in the end of the day, isn't that what it's all about? No matter what sexual preferences those characters have? In this context, characters like Philippa and Dethmold were a big tribute to homosexuals by CDPR - creating deep, motivated and morally complex personalities first and homosexuals second. Instead of, you know, pointing fingers at them and saying "Look, they are homosexuals! They stand out from the crowd because of just that!". Instead of treating homosexuality as a box they should tick on their list or a sort of gimmick they actually gave homosexual characters a significant, well grounded place in the story.

But hey, I guess it's hard to notice that when people are busy chasing gender/sexuality parities.

That would be like asking to make Geralt Hispanic in the next game because it isn't inclusive of non-white skin colour. Although the game is largely choice-oriented, there's some well-defined lore that I'd be disappointed if it were changed.

If a game featured a homosexual protagonist, I wouldn't ask for the devs to make that character straight for more choice - they made that character gay because it fit. There's no shame in CDPRED following the canon of the books. I appreciate the fleshed out character as he is, warts and all, and if they changed that, it would simply feel like pandering and a lack of faith in the personalities the company worked hard at presenting in-game.

The Witcher is not Mass Effect, where the MC has as much personality as a cum sock.

You can't just walk around and change everyone's gender and said preferences with every new title... Remember when Kaidan, who was straightin ME changed his sexuality in ME3? Yeah... was great wasn't it?

Seriously, that's the kind of bs that puts me off with Bioware. And also what makes the difference here.
Writing characters not to appeal to the neo-gender masses, and changing them later on when that mass shifts it's interest, but writing characters with a long term sight.

They're like olives, you may not like them but they leave a lasting taste in your mouth. The rest is watered wine.

Besides Geralt's character was already set in stone way before the games started so why alienate fans by baiting genderbend audiences?

/rant

You can't just walk around and change everyone's gender and said preferences with every new title... Remember when Kaidan, who was straightin ME changed his sexuality in ME3? Yeah... was great wasn't it?

Kaiden was actually bisexual in the first game, but BW took the whole option out because they were afraid of the shitstorm it would cause. Which, really, isn't very flattering for the company's image either, but there you go. (and they got blasted with flak anyway because Liara's butt was on screen for a second. Damn you Fox News!)

Kaiden was actually bisexual in the first game, but BW took the whole option out because they were afraid of the shitstorm it would cause. Which, really, isn't very flattering for the company's image either, but there you go. (and they got blasted with flak anyway because Liara's butt was on screen for a second. Damn you Fox News!)

Yeah they even had the dialogue fully voiced before they took it out. But what I meant was that for most, if not all players(before it became public), experienced him as straight and BW should've stayed on that path instead of simply shoehorning it back in. That pretty much nailed the coffin for him as a character. He was a punching ball of BW's sexuality trial.

Yeah, I can agree with that. I'm all for choice, but making half the characters up for sex of any kind made them seem shallow to me - it seemed to grossly oversimplify sexuality, that they all magically wanted Shepard booty (male or female).

But back to the original point - I don't agree with turning characters gay for the sake of it. Seems more like a bid to get in good with social rights activists rather than adding anything relevant to a character.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can agree with that. I'm all for choice, but making half the characters up for sex of any kind made them seem shallow to me - it seemed to grossly oversimplify sexuality, that they all magically wanted Shepard booty (male or female).
Man, I still remember the days when Bioware was great and I used to give damn about their games. Before the aforementioned bullshit came along.

I've always thought the very open homosexuality in the Mass Effect games made sense. They're set in a somewhat idealized future universe where sexual orientation is a non-issue, and that's that. But over the last few years, I'd have to say BW's handling of the sexual orientation of their characters has been hilariously hypocritical. It wasn't so long ago that they earnestly argued Commander Shepard was conceived as a specific character and therefore couldn't be gay (basically the argument we make against gay options for Geralt, except in Geralt's case it's actually the truth), only to then pull a 180 with ME3. Meanwhile, you've got the Dragon Age games, set in a medieval world full of bigotry, but openly homosexual characters have always been prancing around freely, and nobody cares.

Of course the reason is simple - the DA games are marketed towards the fantasy crowd, which is generally assumed to be more accepting of homosexuality, whereas they tried very hard (and eventually failed and gave up) to market Mass Effect to shooter fans, which they assumed to be a bunch of homophobic teenage boys. So you end up with a medieval fantasy world where elves are herded into ghettoes, but nobody has a problem with homosexuals, and a sci-fi setting where homosexuality doesn't exist... until it does, because turns out that does sell, after all. Barf.

More than anything, I love that the Witcher games portray their world honestly and without judgment, trusting us to be smart enough to figure out for ourselves that these people treat each other this way because they're basically savages, and just because it's in the game doesn't mean CDPR is saying rape is okay.

Jeez, this turned into quite the rant. I'll go sit in the corner and shut up now.

To lighten up the mood a bit on this cirious topic, allow me to make a little joke.
Because I'm laughing tears and I just have to post this.
Oh my God. Masterpiece.

So...hey, you guys already said a lot, including my opinion, so I should not reply... But, here, my two cents. :p
Geralt is eterosexual, that's why. Some of his personality traits are already defined. The game and the lore in general have nothing against being homosexual indeed. Great characters as Philippa are homosexual for example.
Also, sexuality is a topic well covered in the book saga, and gently.
If then the world they live in can be sexist ... well, come on, it's like in real life, there are those who are sexist and who are not, as in reality.
But let's not talk about sexism because there's already a topic about this.

I understand that this may be a limitation on the freedom of character building, but this should not undermine the appreciation of a game or condemn it. Moreover, the discourse on sexuality is based on a broader view of things, then it is good that this view also applies in accepting certain characteristics of a character, as his heterosexuality, bisexuality, or homosexuality. Geralt is heterosexual, period. Philippa is homosexual, period. Other characters are bisexual, again, period.
A player should appreciate every single aspect of a game well done with some sensitive issues dealt in a mature way, in fact, in a gentle way. I know the point of the matter is the fact that this is a role-playing game... but here the protagonist has traits already defined. it is wrong that some potential players go away because they do not find themselves in the character's sexuality. Among the other 90% of the sex scenes are absolutely skipable. Apart from this... you are free, you can shape the story, you can modify your role in the plot of the game, you have influence.

If the player manages to define the sexuality of a character and then his choices have no influence in history? In the end what is left? "Wow, I've created a homosexual character, this game is fantastic, so everything should be like this in RPGs!" The story of The Witcher is not based on how many heterosexual relationships one has.
So even if Geralt has some built-in features you should try to enjoy the game, you'll see how each character is exquisitely characterized, both positively and negatively, how this does not undermine the care and the passion with which the game was developed, with love for the lore.

Oh and welcome to the forum. :)

Meanwhile, you've got the Dragon Age games, set in a medieval world full of bigotry, but openly homosexual characters have always been prancing around freely, and nobody cares.

Actually, this is one reason why I think that it was OK in Dragon Age *NOT* to have a world where there was such bigotry, and also why it would be wrong for TW3 to have scenes of "rescue the gay couple from the bigots". Bigotry already exists in both of these worlds, but it has a sharp focus - Mages and Elves in Dragon Age, Non-humans in The Witcher. If the haters in these worlds want to hate, if the firebrands like Loredo want their scapegoats, they already have someone standing in the spotlight, so there's no reason to look elsewhere.

I also think that while it was good that Bioware *did* give diversity in Dragon Age, they badly screwed up with Anders. I don't think it did the gay community any good that, if the player was straight, Anders was portrayed as someone who a) made a pass at someone within a few hours of meeting him, without knowing if he is gay or straight, b) took offence if rejected, and c) continued to display his feelings for the next 10 years. It's a pretty bad portrayal of how friendships between gay and straight guys work. They handled this issue OK with the other characters, but not with Anders.

Given that Anders was also presented as completely insane, who blew up a chantry to start the war against any good reason, they really screwed up with Anders, their flagship homosexual. Honestly, who of us did not want to kill this SOB?
I am not for presenting homosexuals only as good guys, but also not for presenting as the only big time crazies in the game. But it may be their artistic vision, who a hell knows after ME3 ending disaster what they think in Bioware, and whether they think at all.

It benefits the game. Some fantasy universes feel just simplistic representations of our own. Having non-humans being the only minority in the games would make them seem like they are there to fill that role. Non-humans hate humans and humans hate non-humans, whereas in the real world we have such great variety of hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom