The E3 gameplay demo. What do you think needs to be worked on? What did you like?

+
Already said they wouldn't do it - waste of memory, especially for the consoles.
Where did they say that? Do you have a quote?

That would be a pretty huge disappointment tbh. And it would definitely not be a valid reason why it shouldn't work on PC then if you own enough RAM. There is no excuse for letting the consoles holding back the PC version.

Speaking of Faces, Geralt's has definately grown Chubbier since the VGX trailer... its as if he ate a couple of the bandits or perhaps one of the flying lyzards he so smoothly sliced and diced..
Come on Cd Projekt!! He is a predator badass mutant not a buffet eating farmer!!!!

I think most people are fine with the idea of crossbow , just not how it look and feel. The crossbow should be a single shot and slow to reload. The white projectile trail is also just unnecessary.
Yeah, that's more or less how I feel about it.
Ideally it should be a high damage (well, at least against target vulnerable to it) vs low cooldown kind of weapon. Maybe with some degree of knockback too.
Also, it's not just the trails I don't like. On such a short range a vrossbow bolt should fly straight as a goddamn bullet, not with a downward trend like an arrow.

Where did they say that? Do you have a quote?

That would be a pretty huge disappointment tbh. And it would definitely not be a valid reason why it shouldn't work on PC then if you own enough RAM. There is no excuse for letting the consoles holding back the PC version.

One of their early interviews - and no, I didn't save the address. You're welcome to search for it, though. Also, this is a multiplatform game - the devs have to maintain parity across platforms regardless of capability, and can't overly favor one platform over the other. They already dropped GI (Global Illumination) because the consoles couldn't handle it, so I'd say they are attempting to preserve parity.

One of their early interviews - and no, I didn't save the address. You're welcome to search for it, though. Also, this is a multiplatform game - the devs have to maintain parity across platforms regardless of capability, and can't overly favor one platform over the other. They already dropped GI (Global Illumination) because the consoles couldn't handle it, so I'd say they are attempting to preserve parity.
I asked them in person at Gamescom last year and they couldn't answer me the question tbh....

And of course they can "favor" PC over consoles if they are not powerful enough for certain stuff. Or do you want that PC version is restricted to 1080p 30 FPS as well??? The PC version will offer better technical features than the console versions, that's already a sure thing. I don't know why duration times for corpses and blood effects (which is a 100% technical isssue as well if it's limited by RAM on consoles) should be handled differently. ;)

Yeah, that's more or less how I feel about it.
Ideally it should be a high damage (well, at least against target vulnerable to it) vs low cooldown kind of weapon. Maybe with some degree of knockback too.
Also, it's not just the trails I don't like. On such a short range a vrossbow bolt should fly straight as a goddamn bullet, not with a downward trend like an arrow.

Actually a small crossbow is a very short distance weapon.

A 400 grain bolt fired from a 350 FPS crossbow will drop::

0 inches at 20 yards
3.81 inches at 30 yards
10.81 inches at 40 yards
21.13 inches at 50 yards

I don't know how close Geralt was to the Griffin and the downward trend was maybe a bit over the top but overall the curve was pretty realistic. ;)

Personally, I still don't like the crossbow in general but I can live with it if it is fully optional.

Last edited:

IsengrimR

Hmm, I think that the combat is better showcased ( despite dumbed difficulty for sake of presentation ) over here.

Why? The guy actually takes a hit, uses the igni with the griffon, dodges much better, plays around a bit.
Actually does it justice, I dunno with the previous one, I assume the pressure of big conference and such, it felt a bit underwhelming overall, here it's much better showacased.

It's much more chilled, cooled down presentation. I am went from "kinda underwhelmed and disappointed with that" to "impressed" after watching this.

And yes, I am always so fucking grim and sceptical.

Plus, the idle animation! There is one!

The more I watch the Twitch version, the more excited I become. Not considering certain things during the initial MS presentation left me dubious. Keeping them in mind now, I appreciate it differently.

1) Shoddy quality. Even The Sword of Destiny viewed at 1080p in YouTube isn't as good as after downloading it in HD. And the streaming is crap to begin with.

2) Zooming option confirmed. Can't stress enough how this makes the battles more intimate and allows to see the motions in better detail. Watching battles from relatively afar as in the E3 demos makes them less impressive than seeing them up close as we'll be able to. In the VGX trailer at 00:59 we see how something as simple as zooming makes it better. Also in the Debut Gameplay trailer at 01:07-01:21.

With a grain of salt of course, seeing how they chose particularly good segments for them. Still, it demonstrates the advantage in a close view.

3) Demo enemies weakened and players restrained. They held back for the sake of the presentation. It wasn't an organic way to fight. They fooled around, took it slow and careful to try and nail many things under the time limit. Jab, out, jab, out. In the game itself, I believe the combat will be much more hectic. And that the mechanics will allow it. In a good way.

It's just snippets, but I think at around 02:51 and 03:10 we can see just how smooth the parrying is. The one in 02:51 was a parry even while he was targeting a different enemy, and the attack didn't come from Geralt's front. Good stuff. That Lucas guy intentionally jumped away to extend the battle, but I can easily imagine just continuing from the parry to attack, attack, parry again, attack - and not so much dodging. When I remember that the enemies will be more durable than in this demo, it's a recipe for exhilarating fast-paced combat.

The way his stance changes at 03:28 is also cool. The strafing at 05:31 makes it truly feel like a showdown. Strafing in general looks right. The Ignii afterwards is great, too.

Could be that I'm seeing a depth in combat mechanics that isn't there, based just on several specific seconds. Then again, could be that we're blowing 5 minutes out of proportion.

The core is awesome. The only work is on animations (their speed, the variety of evasive maneuvers), and that's certainly manageable until February. I'm aroused.

Last edited:
I didn't like how Geralt reacts to the surface, because he don't react at all, he walks and runs like he's always on a flat floor. And his body don't react at height changes, he goes straight as always. It must be fixed.

And I don't understand why Geralt's head don't react at some sort of events like when regular npc talks to him Geralt doesn't turn his head to the side of that npc. And so on. It must be fixed too.

Animations looks odd and it's better to be redone. On everything else - the game looks excellent and I can't wait to play it )

I don't know how close Geralt was to the Griffin and the downward trend was maybe a bit over the top but overall the curve was pretty realistic. ;)
Well, it definitely was. Since the bolt drawn a clear descending arc over a distance where I could probably shoot straight even using a puny blowgun.

@Marcin Momot
Hi everyone.
First off, I have to congratulate with you guys of CD Projekt Red: you are doing an incredible and stunning job. I will definitely buy the game.
But I think that there are still some aspects that should be polished or pimped up. Let me give you some feedback:

1- Animations: they are still a bit clumsy and rough, especially those of combat, which are a bit clunky and feel unclean; in particular, the knock back animations aren't clear and effective. It is like you don't "feel" the sword slashes.
I also noticed that there is not lip-sync in the dialogues.

2- Combat cutscenes: I understand that they have been removed because they seemed redundant, but I think that after casting Aard on a foe and having him stunned, it would be great to have a quick cutscene or camera swift with a special kill. If you add for example 2 or 3 different animations that occur casually, they won't be boring anymore. Then if you implement in the option menu the chance to enable/disable them, everyone (the cutscenes lovers and the haters) will be satisfied.

3- Camera: It seemed that in combat, the camera was way too far from the action. It would be awesome if also here you gave us the option choice in the menu.

4- Hunt : Seeking for traces or clues during hunting sessions seems too easy. The griffin, for example, was leaking his blood drops too close one to the others.

5- Geralt's face: It seems like his cheeks are a bit too fat, round or chubby, giving the impression that he has something in his mouth. It should be just a little sharper, like in TW2. Other than that, it is perfect.

Last edited:
I got nothing bad to say about E3 demo. All they need now is just graphics polishing and work on bugs, clipping and glitches.

I've notice something dunno it looks like it needs more work, or they havent had a chance yet to do anything. I will be picking on small things here :)

Empty houses and sheds. Maybe fill it with barrels or wheat stacks.

- No shadows/shaders on the other side of the river. I would attach one or two boats on the side since it looks like a small dock and place more items on the top like nets etc.

- On the left ship looks not yet finished, no rope ladders deck is slightly too low, looks like its sinking?. On right picture of the beach? looks really empty maybe add line of beach wooden poles for eg.

Jupiter_on_Mars

Actually, that image id catch my eye, but nor for the reasons you mentioned. It's a very, very, very minor quibble, but, hey. It seems odd that such a shabby roof would hold that wooden staircase, especially since its pillar doesn't seem to be sitting on any beam (which is likely to be in line with the entrance). Moving that wooden pillar a tad to the left would do the ttrick. Again, this is just an itch of mine.

Nitpicking or feedback of E3 videos in pics

Would like to this thread be a a constructive suggestion to REDTEAM,
given the time they have, to fix some things if they can manage it.
and to other members of forum to suggest with pics what they not like -or what would like to be changed before 2015

If not It won't be end of the world,

-this is the only game i will be playing for a long time,
before Witcher didn't like even a idea to play rpg but after first one i fell in love.
Tried other Rpg games, but W1 and W2 was my favorites (I'm no FPS or racing simulation lover anymore).

Some things are all ready mentioned in other threads - but with pics they could easily see it
( Please, moderators not to merge this thread with others, better delete it if you find to much )
sorry for my english, it is not my native language

so her we go-
View attachment 3949

-To much senses marks, not only on jump place, but even on the hill slope

View attachment 3950I

Tree in background looks really odd (maybe it's a landmark but on top of mountain ,strange and somehow out of place)

]View attachment 3951I

- A road that is probably washed away by waterfall and player must jump
( maybe a ruin of small bridge or wood planks would be better looking than knife cut hill road)

View attachment 3952

This is more an a suggestion
- Could Johnny again run into cave(non trusty and fearfull)- when Geralt is tryin to stand up from crouching
and after that geralt would say -OH -NO- NOT AGAIN- please come back-i need you) that would be funny

Attachments

• tomuch.jpg
    tomuch.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 55
  • tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 40
  • standup.jpg
    standup.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 38
I personally thought that mountain tree was awesome. I know were I'm running to when I play the game :D

I agree the sense marks could be turned down a bit but it isn't terrible to look at. I noticed actually it was significantly smaller when tracking johnny anyway, so it is probably relative to what you are tracking and what it left behind (i.e footprints - johnny / giant pools of blood - griffon) and there would have been a lot of blood to follow with the griffon who was carrying a bleeding horse.

Everything else I have no problem with.

A very small thing, rather a nitpick, but...
Horses and riding look nice - but one thing I want to comment on: A horse is a heavy animal, especially with a rider on it. If Geralt can come to a full stop from running in one step, this is fine. But a horse should not. When he rides into Novigrad, there are several full stops and full accelerations.

I would recommend to change this slightly, so that a ridden horse needs several steps to change the speed, especially it needs several steps to come to a stop from full gallop! This would not only look better, it also would make riding a bit more challenging.

Many games implement riding as just a horse under the character, the rest is equal to running. This is a pity: Riding a horse means the character can be faster and maybe he has advantages in a fight, but he also has to take into account the weight and maneuverability of a horse!

So, if possible please make the horse behave more natural, that means several steps to change speed and maybe no very tight course changes in high speed. You have to ride slow if you want to turn the horse 90 degrees, with fast riding you will not manage this curve.

It is only a small nitpick, but if well done it could add a lot to the new riding feature!

M.

Jupiter_on_Mars

A very small thing, rather a nitpick, but...
Horses and riding look nice - but one thing I want to comment on: A horse is a heavy animal, especially with a rider on it. If Geralt can come to a full stop from running in one step, this is fine. But a horse should not. When he rides into Novigrad, there are several full stops and full accelerations.

I would recommend to change this slightly, so that a ridden horse needs several steps to change the speed, especially it needs several steps to come to a stop from full gallop! This would not only look better, it also would make riding a bit more challenging.

Many games implement riding as just a horse under the character, the rest is equal to running. This is a pity: Riding a horse means the character can be faster and maybe he has advantages in a fight, but he also has to take into account the weight and maneuverability of a horse!

So, if possible please make the horse behave more natural, that means several steps to change speed and maybe no very tight course changes in high speed. You have to ride slow if you want to turn the horse 90 degrees, with fast riding you will not manage this curve.

It is only a small nitpick, but if well done it could add a lot to the new riding feature!

M.

Actually, I think that'd be such a great nifty touch! I will be adding this to the OP in the Animations thread .

Top Bottom