E3 Discussion Thread

+
@Marcin Momot It sounds all nice and interesting, apart from the part with replenishing potions. When they refill during meditation, does it consume some more ingredients? If yes - that's fine. [EDIT: They don't consume ingredients, not good]

You may think stashing items for later is a problem, but it shouldn't be the case in the Witcher - no one complained about as far as I'm aware. Witchers need to prepare before the fight, they need to gather useful things. It's their strenght. And your solution makes that preparation phase less important, less meaningful. You just have to meditate and wait for the refill with no sweat.

All in all, I think you are heading in the wrong direction, trying to improve and change something, that was already a well functioning system.
Here is how I would do it:

- Add more depth to the W1 system, by adding mutagenic potions, that are drunk before the fight and last a long time (not infinite), very toxic

- Normal potions work the same, can be drunk in combat, last short time, less toxic (but still - max 3 or 4 with alchemy tree)

- Brewing potions during meditation, makes a batch of a certain potion (for example 5 uses/small bottles), need quite a few ingredients (so it's not too easy too make), takes one slot in the inventory (or a double slot) - doesn't stack, so you cannot fit too many. Solves a supposed problem of making too much potions.

I encourage feedback and improving my idea and posting your own - it may be useful.

Last edited:
For me Alchemy was about gathering all potion recipies, learning about their use/toxicity and using the right combination of them in combination with my talents.
It was less about collecting 10000 herbs which I think you will still be able to. You just do not consume them while brewing.

Yes, that's how it is now. Please keep in mind that it's still work in progress and we might ultimately change it. We are still experimenting.

The potion crafting, gathering resources and the brewing itself was one of my favorite parts of the previous games.

The resource management, determining which resources to use and which not was an interesting part of the game.
You also had to consider which potions you want to make, when you don't have many resources, thus making a tradeoff.

As it is, I'm not sold on the current system.
It is way too streamlined, I know you are trying to appeal to a wide audience, but if you decide to go with it, at least make the old way of potion management available in a higher difficulty setting or something.

I feel like all these changes (3 bolt action crossbow, simplifying the potion system) were made to accommodate a certain crowd. But maybe that's just me.

Actually I have more of a problem with those mutagens. I mean, seriously: you can't mutate something back and forth all the time just because. Mutation should stay a long-term, final decision. If you want to have longer lasting potions with higher intoxication, that's fine - but that mutating roulette is a bit over the top.

I think the refilling potions will be fine if there's still enough incentive to gather herbs. A reasonable approach (for me) would be to have refilling potions without OR with herbs, improving the effects if you use ingredients. So for example you'd have five times "Swallow" which is automatically refilled whenever you meditate. But while meditating you'll have the option to either:

a) refill without ingredients (standard), which results in "Swallow" adding a +100% hp regen after consummation.
b) refill with ingredients (optional), which results in "Swallow" adding a +150% hp regen after consummation.

That would combine an easily accessible alchemy system which awards players who prefer to gather their herbs 'old-school style'.

I feel like all these changes (3 bolt action crossbow, simplifying the potion system) were made to accommodate a certain crowd. But maybe that's just me.

You are not the only one, I can see the advantages of the system that Marcin describes but it does seem like something to simplify the experience, thus dumbing it down.

I was thinking the same. My fear is that now that they are getting far more popular than by the release of the two previous games they are "adjusting" some things (witcher sense showing where to climb :rly?:) for more casual gamers and newcomers to the series. Tough time for us hardcore witcher fans coming?

Jupiter_on_Mars

I think that instead of addressing the problem, CDProjekt are compounding it.

Why do people hoard? Firstly, because they can. If a realistic inventory is in place, with limited storage capacity, restricted both in terms of carrying weighty and volume, then hoarding ceases to be a viable option and the problem is gone.

Instead of dealing with the problem, you guys are trying to circumvent it and in the process you lay a greater one on top.

I mean, I want potions, I make them. Simple as that.

Last edited:
If they could shift the focus back to toxicity/meditation duration I am happy.
If they wanna substitute the grind (which was NO challenge, just pick up herb/rest/repeat) they should give us something that has a few additional layers/deeper systems that you can optionally engage in, right now I don't know if 2 classes of potions/upgrades is enough. Could be.

If potions replenish on meditation then creating them the first time should be decidedly complex.You probably have to read some books/talk to NPCs or understand a certain mechanic.

But let's face it, it doesn't look like it will be.

I think the Alchemy system should reward your awareness of ingredients and surroundings. Experienced players should know where each ingredient grows.

at least make the old way of potion management available in a higher difficulty setting or something.

You know, this is actually where I see more of the problem. On the higher difficulties of TW1 & 2 (Especially with the FCR on hardest) potions & oils were REQUIRED. Without Swallow I couldn't even take on a single barghest in TW1 FCR. So Alchemy became even more important & crucial to the Gameplay & Combat.
With this system Potions might still be Required on the higher difficulties, but with everything just auto-filling it'll remove a whole aspect of what makes those harder difficulties even more interesting.

Again, I say, I trust you guys know what's best, but to give my complete & honest opinion as it stands currently:
I love the potion upgrades, I hate all this auto-refill shit.

Feedback, complete. Take it as you will CDPR.

Attachments

• riffe-international-euro-spear-gun.jpg
    riffe-international-euro-spear-gun.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 41
View attachment 3959
what other possible and realistic way do you see for Geralt do defend himself underwater?

Let's face it: there simply is no reasonable 'ranged weapon' thingie for underwater combat in the chosen timeline/setting. I don't see a problem though, why should ranged underwater combat be necessary? Give us knives and make it a close quarter combat only environment - would make sense.

All in all, I think you are heading in the wrong direction, trying to improve and change something, that was already a well functioning system.

Not sure if a system that is used by a very small percentage of the playerbase can be considered as well functioning. From a game design perspective, when you invest resources to create a system that should be an integral part of the core game, which no body uses - is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Not sure if a system that is used by a very small percentage of the playerbase can be considered as well functioning. From a game design perspective, when you invest resources to create a system that should be an integral part of the core game, which no body uses - is a problem that needs to be addressed.

And how exactly do you know it was used only by a small percentage of the playerbase?

From an economic point of view, it just doesn't make sense for potions to refill without ingredients. I've repeated this again and again, so sorry if I am tiring you, but ,no-ingredients-potion-refill, makes herbalists and gathering herbs almost useless. One other thing, I so much enjoyed playing around with rubedo, albedo, and nigredo ingredients in TW1, and I was hoping for a strong comeback of such features. Making potions is a game within a game. It is really enjoyable, if you are willing to take the time and do it. I'm not sure why it should not be in the game. I do not mind potions refilling on their own too much, but at least they should do so, if we have the ingredients. Of course that means that some confirmation command is in place, because we can't just have ingredients being used for potions that we do not like.

There are other ways to make people use potions more often. For instance I really didn't mind the way you implemented the Ostmurk potion to fight the Kayran. What if, in every monster hunting quest, an optional side quest like this is implemented?
I don't see how you would force people to use potions otherwise. I mean, if you walk around in the swamps and encounter 20 drowners, you just don't have the time to drink potions, you are already in the fight. Most people wouldn't use them anyway, unless for example they were really low on health, and just run around chugging swallows.

Regarding Mutagens. I loved the TW1 mutagenic potions, they felt like they were causing real mutations. My opinion is, you should do something like TW1, but have some active side effects due to high toxicity for, lets say, a day in game.

And dumbing the system down to the point of potions and such magically appearing is an improvement?

Top Bottom