Dismemberment in TW3

+
Before following this discussion I rather read the books once again. Maybe Spanish trnaslation made me see what it wasn't there.

We should ask these things our polish friends maybe. Some things could be lost in translations. I find czech one extremely good. It's also because of the similarity of czech and polish, but some things may be a little bit changed.
I don't remember if there was described dismemberment in the books, it's some time I read them. But surely there were many cut arteries, necks, cheeks, bellies and such.

Well I'm from Poland, read the saga in polish and as I said in the first post, dismembered isn't quite how the Witchers or more specifically Geralt left his kills. There were some loose human parts sure, but that was a HEAVY minority, there were buckets of blood and guts rather than hands and heads.

I love the system I do, I don't want it changed, but Jedi Geralt dismembers everything too easily, it looks super artificial, please make it rarer CDPRED, then it will be perfect.

Last edited:
Well I'm from Poland, read the saga in polish and as I said in the first post, dismembered isn't quite how the Witchers or more specifically Geralt left his kills. There were some loose human parts sure, but that was a HEAVY minority.

I love the system I do, but he dismembers everything too easily, it looks super artificial/over the top.

Well, I don't mind it. It will be fun. And by the way, the difficulty was toned down for presentations. I think that in the actual game, dismemberment won't be seen so often.

Well, I don't mind it. It will be fun. And by the way, the difficulty was toned down for presentations. I think that in the actual game, dismemberment won't be seen so often.
We forget that the E3 was in Los Angeles, and the audience there is known for voyeurism of violence. I think CDPR will take it a notch down for the final release. If not, I find it exaggerated.

From the books I only remember that Geralt has an ugly way of killing, but I don't remember dismemberments.

I think it fits Geralt just a little of dismemberment, with a lot of blood and cuts. like many of you already said, and I agree with you that in final game, it´s gonna be rare to see it, week enemies like drowners, and the finisher moves, with special awesome animations, not much else.

But what I think any of you mention is that the devs already said something about that system in terms of gameplay, like if you do specific cuts the "Boss" monster can loose a limb and limp, or a cut in the head and lose his vision, meaning it has real effect on gameplay that physics feature, like Dead Space and necromorphes limbs, and I think that is awesome.

Last edited:
But what I think any of you mention is that the devs already said something about that system in terms of gameplay, like if you do specific cuts the "Boss" monster can loose a limb and limp, or a cut in the head and lose his vision, meaning it has real effect on gameplay that physics feature, like Dead Space and necromorphes limbs, and I think that is awesome.

I did not see an indication of that. I only saw a deadly insured deserter crawling over the ground to get away, that's all.
The VATS system was not shown in either video. Maybe it's not in a presentable state.
Also, in a video you can see Geralt slicing drowners, he dismembers them when their health is low and he only needs one last blow. And it seems like that happened every time, not with a special finisher.

How do you know? Never heard they kicked it.

It surfaced in some articles a while ago, honestly can't remember where exactly though. Apparently it didn't work out how they wanted it and it would have been too cost intensive to make it work.

Last edited:
I personally don't mind the excessive dismemberment nor the gore, sure it can get a bit over the top, but i rather have it over the top than none at all.

It was already present on the Witcher 1, and i sure missed its absence on the Witcher 2, so i will welcome it back with open arms on the Witcher 3 !

I did not see an indication of that. I only saw a deadly insured deserter crawling over the ground to get away, that's all.
The VATS system was not shown in either video. Maybe it's not in a presentable state.
Also, in a video you can see Geralt slicing drowners, he dismembers them when their health is low and he only needs one last blow. And it seems like that happened every time, not with a special finisher.

The VATS system was cut from the game. A long time ago.

I´m not talking about the VATS system, that´s another entirely different feature, that system allows the player to do LITERALLY what he want, you can purposely aim to the kidney, or whatever you want, like Fallout, or the Metal Gear Rising, you do the cut you want, and has real effect on the physics mechanics, that doesn´t mean The Witcher 3 hasn´t physics, in a more standard way, let me explain...

What they have remained, is that not on purpuse, but as an effect, like the poisoning, bleeding... You can´t control it, but if you see how a limb is chopped off, in for example that huge deer beast, it´s gonna limp, if you see a drowner leg flying, he will not move with an animation where he has an invisible leg, at least that´s what I understand from all the interviews I saw. :)

I´m not talking about the VATS system, that´s another entirely different feature, that system allows the player to do LITERALLY what he want, you can purposely aim to the kidney, or whatever you want, like Fallout, or the Metal Gear Rising, you do the cut you want, and has real effect on the physics mechanics, that doesn´t mean The Witcher 3 hasn´t physics, in a more standard way, let me explain...
Won't happen. I would really like that myself but that's not how the combat system in TW3 will work.

Won't happen. I would really like that myself but that's not how the combat system in TW3 will work.

For what I understand it´s official, I can´t remember the specific interview, but the developer talk about the fight with a "boss", as an example, and mentioned, limp, and blindness as effects of your attacks, and even much more complex systems have already been used, like in Dead Space.

I have faith on CDPR. :animier:

Last edited:
For what I understand it´s official, I can´t remember the specific interview, but the developer talk about the fight with a "boss", as an example, and mention, limping, and blindness as effects of your attacks, and even much more complex systems have already been used, like in Dead Space.

I have faith on CDPR. :animier:

Disabling monster abilities is still in, just that it's not tied to the VATS system (since it's no longer in the game), now we'll achieve those things with special oils and such.

Disabling monster abilities is still in, just that it's not tied to the VATS system (since it's no longer in the game), now we'll achieve those things with special oils and such.

Exactly, the VATS doesn´t have anything to do with what I mentioned before.

Exactly, the VATS doesn´t have anything to do with what I mentioned before.
Ahem, if you cut off a limb of an ememy it's a killing animation you see. With the VATS system gone there won't be any disabling features "caused by player skill" (e.g. by aiming) anymore in the game. Everything we can hope for now are some predefined, not-skill based animations in fights based on the question whether we used the right oil or not during preparation....

Still sad about the VATS system. Best feature they originally announced for the whole game... :(

Ahem, if you cut off a limb of an ememy it's a killing animation you see. With the VATS system gone there won't be any disabling features "caused by player skill" (e.g. by aiming) anymore in the game. Everything we can hope for now are some predefined, not-skill based animations in fights based on the question whether we used the right oil or not during preparation....

Still sad about the VATS system. Best feature they originally announced for the whole game... :(

Exactly, you´re right, all I said before was pretty much the same, you can´t point the cut, but it happens, like a bleeding effect, you can´t do it by skill, but if in a combo you see the "monster boss" leg chopped off, the monster will limp afterwards, we will not see a monster walking on invisible legs, that was all I wanted to point out, but obviously I may be wrong. :D

Top Bottom