Why is Witcher 3 in Russia cheaper on GOG?

+
If GOG would introduce regional locks, I think they'll lose about 80 to 90% of their customers. Remember, it's the community that brought GOG to where they are now. It's because of core values they stand for. and in a way they still maintain them all. The regional pricing had such an enormous negative response (from me as well) that after having their staff read more than 10,000 comments, they changed it in a way so it's fair pricing. The majority was content with that decission. Yes we will pay more but get store credit in return which is very kind and a neat thing to do. To GOG customers, GOG is not just any store. It's a community who share the same ideals. So don't go telling it's a pointless goal. I can't wait for GOG to grow and one day even surpass Steam. One can dream of course.

Anyway to get back on topic. I considered asking a Russian friend to preorder TW3 for cheap, since I have very little money as a student, but I said: I can't rip off the company I hold dear to me. So I didn't. Also remember this:

Why would you want to go to the trouble of using VPN to buy it cheaper when you can just pirate it. Of course that's not what anyone would want, but yeah. you get the picture.

If GOG would introduce regional locks, I think they'll lose about 80 to 90% of their customers. Remember, it's the community that brought GOG to where they are now. It's because of core values they stand for. and in a way they still maintain them all. The regional pricing had such an enormous negative response (from me as well) that after having their staff read more than 10,000 comments, they changed it in a way so it's fair pricing. The majority was content with that decission. Yes we will pay more but get store credit in return which is very kind and a neat thing to do. To GOG customers, GOG is not just any store. It's a community who share the same ideals. So don't go telling it's a pointless goal. I can't wait for GOG to grow and one day even surpass Steam. One can dream of course.

Anyway to get back on topic. I considered asking a Russian friend to preorder TW3 for cheap, since I have very little money as a student, but I said: I can't rip off the company I hold dear to me. So I didn't. Also remember this:

Why would you want to go to the trouble of using VPN to buy it cheaper when you can just pirate it. Of course that's not what anyone would want, but yeah. you get the picture.
Well, I think most people wouldn't even take notice if there was a regional lock...

GOG will never surpass Steam imo. But that's stuff for another topic. ;)

Just throwing this in to remind everyone why GOG are doing this:
http://www.gog.com/news/letter_from_the_md_about_regional_pricing

And region locks within the game itself are obviously not going to happen with GOG, as it's DRM. They got enough bad publicity just over the regional pricing, and if they were ever to break the DRM promise, I think it would destroy them. But if there's a lot of abuse on the regionally-priced purchases, I could see them being forced by retail distributers to bring in stricter controls at the time of purchase, such as not allowing gifting, or the use of VPNs. (Not that these would necessarily be effective)
@LordCrash - people might not notice a regional lock, but people would DEFINITELY notice if the game suddenly started to have mandatory online registration. And you can't have a regional lock without having a key to let you in.

Last edited:
@LordCrash - people might not notice a regional lock, but people would DEFINITELY notice if the game suddenly started to have mandatory online registration. And you can't have a regional lock without having a key to let you in.
Haha, you're right. I admit, haven't thought about that. It's been too long since I've played the last game on GOG... ;)

Haha, you're right. I admit, haven't thought about that. It's been too long since I've played the last game on GOG... ;)

Sold your soul to DRM. :(

Obviously the reasons that it's cheaper in Russia is the income is lower there and they are the best at pirating and hacking. In order to change that, they make the prices lower so they are once again affordable.

Actually, I sold my soul to features. I will return to GOG the day they reach feature-parity with Steam or even pass them. GOG Galaxy seem to be on the right track but it's just a start from what I've heard so far. ;)

Our console games are more expensive than in other countries. (Based on retail shops)
I can make an assumption that piracy is a heavy thing in my country, which influences the price. I'm ok with that, since I get to buy Witcher 3 cheaper. :)

Obviously the reasons that it's cheaper in Russia is the income is lower there and they are the best at pirating and hacking. In order to change that, they make the prices lower so they are once again affordable.

I think that it's because Russia has now reached a state of maturity where game distributors think that it's POSSIBLE to persuade people to buy, if the price is reasonable. It's a temporary state, but make the most of it while it lasts. :thumbsup:

Mine, alas, still hasn't reached that state yet.

Yeah, I've seen lots of folks on other forums boasting about how cheap they are buying the game. It is frustrating to see so many taking advantage of CDPR's good will. Hopefully, these practices does not hurt the bottom line too much.

That's just sad... but I can't say I'm surprised.
It's unfair to customers overall too.

Strange thing just happened with price at Russian Steam: price dropped from ~30.5 $ (1049 rub) to ~20.3 $ (699 rub.). Now it costs even cheaper than at GOG.com (~23.2 $ - 799 rub.):

View attachment 4214

Trilogy Pack also had become cheaper by ~4.4 $ (150 rub.)

Attachments

• Безымянный.jpg
    Безымянный.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
CDPR dropped the price for russians for W3.
And I really don't know how to feel about it.

Last edited:
no one in russia will buy it for 60$. like this they have a shot that someone in russia will buy it
Considering world biggest Witcher fanbase many in Russia certainly would.

I am however glad it cost me something liek less then 20 buck. I better spend difference on ammo. :)

Hmm. I don't know where this is going. Quite a mess. And it can backfire. The whole world will want a piece of the cheap cake.

Top Bottom