(SPOILERS) Political Storms: Will Kovir and Hengfors Leaque stay neutral this time?

+
(SPOILERS) Political Storms: Will Kovir and Hengfors Leaque stay neutral this time?

If I understand correctly, Nilfgaard forces have already reached the Pontar river at the start of Witcher 3.
Also if I am not mistaken, in the latest trailer Geralt has audience with the Emperor at the throne room of Wizima Castle (at least it resembles a LOT the room I remember from witcher 1. Quite a deja vu for Geralt if that is the case. Another ruler tasks at the very same building the witcher to bring a daughter preferably unharmed to him;) ).
If I am right, that will mean two things.
First, the Nilfgaard seems to use Wizima as their main base for military operations in the North (which makes sense considering the strategical position in the map.
And second, it higly seems like the great Emhyr Var Emreis is leading the attack himself this time. Maybe he thinks the feat will be a final feather to his hat as emperor by doing something the great general Menno Coehoorn could not.

Anyhow, this seems like an awful lot of pressure to the remaining Northern Kingdoms especially because Temeria, stongest faction of them, already is burning to ashes.
My question is do you think Kovir and the leaque of King Niedamir will join the fray this time? I know they have been loyally neutral to the Black ones before, but lot has happened since the second war with Nilfgaard. Power balance has changed dramatically and I think Kovir and Hengfors leaque could finally start to see Nilgaard as a threat. I dont know about king Niedamirs motives, but king Esterad is long dead and his successor-son might want to avenge his assassinated father and be more hot-headed ruler as it is.
edit:correction it seeems like the old esterad is still alive

The reason I ask this is because I dont think Radovid has any changes to repel Emhyr without all possible factions in the North behind him.

Last edited:
It is Foltest's castle in Wyzima, though I highly doubt Emhyr will stay there for long. My guess is that he traveled to Wyzima mainly to find Geralt and tell him about Ciri.
Emhyr rarely left Nilfgaard and only on very very special occasions.

In my opinion, Redania was the strongest of the Kingdoms, Temeria just had more vassals, due to location.

I highly doubt Kovir and the League will join the fray. Kovir is dependent on trade to survive the tough Winters, and I do not think they would cut trade with Nilfgaard, as it is almost certain that Nilfgaard will eventually crush the Northern Kingdoms. Can't say the same about behind the scenes help, like in the books.

Also, why does everyone think Esterad is dead? He is not, Letho did not kill him, and the assassins that actually got to him in the end, have not killed him yet as far as we know.

Temeria might be overwhelmed, but that doesn't mean the army was defeated. Me I think, the Temerian army will be helping Redania Co. much like the Cintrians did at the Second War.

@senteria

Sile is not King Esterad's favorite, I believe. She is Queen Zuleyka's favorite. Either way, Kings have thrown sorcerers out of their court before. :p

Last edited:
Also, why does everyone think Esterad is dead? He is not, Letho did not kill him, and the assassins that actually got to him in the end, have not killed him yet as far as we know.

What?
Didnt The king of Kovir fall to assassins blade in the sixth book in order to protect his wife? Or do I remember it all wrong?

Well, I don't think that Emhyr would want to conquer the entire North this time. This would be pretty unmanageable. But to conquer everything between Yaruga and Pontar looks like a good idea. Will Kovir openly declare a war on Nilfgaard, and send their troops south? I doubt it. Sates stay neutral for a reason, and only if Radovid and Henselt (if he is alive) manage to demonstrate that they have a chance of winning, Kovir will openly throw in with them.

Realistically, the Empire will conquer the continent sooner or later, and those who stayed neutral will have much better chances on autonomy and preservation of their kingdoms as vassal states if they did not openly go to war. But it definitely won't stop Kovir from helping financially, paying for mercenaries, and so on.

What?
Didnt The king of Kovir fall to assassins blade in the sixth book in order to protect his wife? Or do I remember it all wrong?

Yes he did die that way, but it was a reference to the future. Basically Sapkowski tells us how he died in the end. Same thing was written for Dijkstra, but he is still here. :)

Proof that he is still alive, are Letho's words. Esterad Thyssen was to be the first King, assassinated, by Emhyr's order, but then Sile hired our lovely oafey Witcher to kill Demawend, so he changed his plans.

Last edited:
Top Bottom