(SPOILERS) Is Emhyr var Emreis a good emperor?

+
He is definitely not the best human that ever walked the Earth though. :p

Sure, because there is no such thing as THE best human. I did not say he was the best, I said he was the greatest because he managed to overcome temptation and lure of the prophecy. If to compare with anyone in TW world who ever desired power, for whatever reason, I believe his is the only one who was able to walk away because he believed that the way to such power was not worth it. The rest would have found a bunch of reasons to justify why it would be right to fuck a goat if need be, or whatever, if it could make everyone happy, and save the world, while in reality be simply unable to resist this temptation.

By my lights, if the world in order to be saved requires some girl being mistreated, such a world deserves to be destroyed because it is a crappy world ruled by a crappy destiny. So all this fuss about Ciri's savior-child is a POS for me, whoever is trying to do it - the sorceresses, the elves, or whoever. The emperor managed to get out of this stupid chase. Good for him.

Ehmyr is a competent one if that's what you mean. about his morality. He does seem to have an amount conscience unlike say henselt. He has done great evil that is for sure. he to me is the prime example of sapowski's view of what he thinks of people who do (or excuse themselves by doing ) lesser evils for a greater good. as in he did very horrible, monstrous things. He is as good a king as those in the north atleast.

By my lights, if the world in order to be saved requires some girl being mistreated, such a world deserves to be destroyed because it is a crappy world ruled by a crappy destiny. So all this fuss about Ciri's savior-child is a POS for me, whoever is trying to do it - the sorceresses, the elves, or whoever. The emperor managed to get out of this stupid chase. Good for him.

But that is really a false choice. They dont have to mistreat her. ehmyr could have claimed her as his succesor and married her to some other king. others dont have to exploit her to save the world. those are just BS excuses.

. That said i agree with what you are saying he threw away all his plans just for the happiness of one girl (or 2 if you count false ciri)

Last edited:
As ruler he would probably win emperor of the year award but there is czech proverb which says: účel světí prostedky. It means that if you reach goal it doesn´t matter how you reach it. That is definition of Emhyr. Personally I´m for free north so damn that guy. They proved they can kick his ass but then they never learned and always go back to frog mouse wars.

And of course he did that nice thing. Does it make him nice person? No. I will go against him in game if possible because I don´t want to be his toy soldier.

Please. No spoilers from books without spoiler tags. Some people didn´t read it yet. Mods put please some posts in spoiler tags. Some guy here was even spoiling biggest book plot twist.

Thank you so much for your kind words !

If I was emperor of Nilfgaard, I'd definately hire you as my advisor and...

@SMiki55 to design our banners.
@Synvael to take care of the supplies (mostly pizza and wine)
@Kinley to lead the main crossbow regiment (I'll blame him if we lose a battle)
@ReptilePZ to be the cynical jester

OOOOHHHH!!!!! Did you dare to ignore me?

Then I'll be the NEW BONHART female of course and make suffer your devoted CIRI hahahahaha

assuming that I have the courage to do

Last edited:
:eek:fftopic:

:close:

From the deepest of my heart and truely love and devotion.....

Blame CDPR, their dammit footages, their tortuos "looking forward new hints", their cruel insensitive "I know... but I can't tell"!.... by all this and the next 8 darkest months of my life leading us to talk non-sense time and time again, post and post again and on and on and...

Blame CDPR if we are losing our sanity!

Last edited:

Blame CDPR, their dammit footages, their tortuos "looking forward new hints", their cruel insensitive "I know... but I can't tell"!.... by all this and the next 8 darkest months of my life leading us to talk non-sense time and time again, post and post again and on and on and... Blame CDPR if we are losing our sanity!

I fully support this excuse for our childish behaviour~

And to finally get back on topic:

I feel that the general opinion about Emhyr is that he is a good ruler,
one who isn't afraid to commit atrocities if it is for the greater good.

Here is a picture of Emhyr, to distract all of you.

Last edited:
So, Emperor Emhyr...

What an asshole right? Right?

He is quite the spice merchant though. He is going to make a lot of money.

On a more serious note, even though we do not know much about the Imperial policies, I think he is actually very organizational, even though his laws are strict.

What we do know is, that he hates Sorcerers, so that is a big no no, for the North, he hates traitors even more, which is understandable I guess, but quartering them might be a bit cruel, and that he is allowing the merchants guild, maybe too much freedom. That Leuvaarden guy seemed to me the only one, not to actually fear the Emperor.

If I remember correctly, Emhyr would also send settlers from Nilfgaard to the new Provinces, so that the recently conquered lands can make the transition faster.

And he sure did fund many civil works, like roads and so on. So I think he is quite the intelligent leader, if you can get past the "tyrrany" part. After all people only knew Kings. And the Kings of the North were like animals in front of Emhyr I believe.

Unless you are like Lord Skellen. That guy wanted democracy. What a loser.

Edit: Stay away from that Axe, witchat!

Edit 2: Oh I thought Berengar Leuvaarden was a merchant. He was a noble. Silly me. But I swear I remember a merchant not being afraid while talking to Emhyr. Oh well.

Last edited:
Mods shall give us what we deserve.

Blame CDPR, their dammit footages, their tortuos "looking forward new hints", their cruel insensitive "I know... but I can't tell"!.... by all this and the next 8 darkest months of my life leading us to talk non-sense time and time again, post and post again and on and on and... Blame CDPR if we are losing our sanity!

Damn right! This hype is dangerous for our health!

[SUB]Anyway, that pic reminds me so much of my reaction after finishing the 7th book, but nevermind[/SUB]

I feel that the general opinion about Emhyr is that he is a good ruler,
one who isn't afraid to commit atrocities if it is for the greater good.
Well, I do not think he committed atrocities... (well, maybe that Cintra detail...) his methods could be a bit debatable, he's just so sensitive about treason and cheating.
Maybe he should be more patient (remember how he treated astrologist and mages and how nilfgaardian sorceresses were afraid if he had discovered the whole affair of the Lodge.)

Well, I do not think he committed atrocities... (well, maybe that Cintra detail...) his methods could be a bit debatable, he's just so sensitive about treason and cheating.

What about the massacre of elven volunteers that joined as the Vrihedd (=freedom) brigade ?

Vrihedd was an elven division of the 4th Cavalry Army, Nilfgaardian mounted troops.

During the animated cutscene "Pursuing the Wild Hunt", Geralt mentions that fifty-three (of the fifty-five) officers of the brigade were brought to the Ravine of the Hydra and executed, following the Peace of Cintra. The two who survived were Iorveth and Isengrim Faoiltiarna.

Edit: nevermind, those were the Northern Kingdoms that did it.

Last edited:
What about the massacre of elven volunteers that joined as the Vrihedd (=freedom) brigade ?

Vrihedd was an elven division of the 4th Cavalry Army, Nilfgaardian mounted troops.

During the animated cutscene "Pursuing the Wild Hunt", Geralt mentions that fifty-three (of the fifty-five) officers of the brigade were brought to the Ravine of the Hydra and executed, following the Peace of Cintra. The two who survived were Iorveth and Isengrim Faoiltiarna.

Edit: nevermind, those were the Northern Kingdoms that did it.
Wait. I've just checked.

Isengrim Faoiltiarna, the Steel Wolf, the legendary leader of the Squirrels, and now an imperial colonel, tore the silver rays of the Vrihedd brigade from his sleeves and threw them on the patio. Other officers followed suit. Hamilcar Danza, who was watching from the gallery, frowned.
‘This demonstration is unnecessary,’ he said. ‘In your place I would not so rashly abandon the imperial insignia. It is my duty to inform you that the negotiated peace will guarantee a fair trial, mild sentences and early amnesty for imperial...’
The cul de sac of elves burst into a grim laugh, thundering between the stone walls.
‘Furthermore, I want to warn you,’ Hamilcar Danza said curtly, ‘that we will only send thirty-two officers to the Nordlings. We will not surrender any of the soldiers, who you commanded, not one.’
The laughter ceased as if cut by a knife.

So Nilfgaard army sold thirthy two officers, and then Northern Kingdoms took care of them. The Vrihedd suffered a severe loss. Not a fair trade, truly.

Wait. I've just checked.

Isengrim Faoiltiarna, the Steel Wolf, the legendary leader of the Squirrels, and now an imperial colonel, tore the silver rays of the Vrihedd brigade from his sleeves and threw them on the patio. Other officers followed suit. Hamilcar Danza, who was watching from the gallery, frowned.
‘This demonstration is unnecessary,’ he said. ‘In your place I would not so rashly abandon the imperial insignia. It is my duty to inform you that the negotiated peace will guarantee a fair trial, mild sentences and early amnesty for imperial...’
The cul de sac of elves burst into a grim laugh, thundering between the stone walls.
‘Furthermore, I want to warn you,’ Hamilcar Danza said curtly, ‘that we will only send thirty-two officers to the Nordlings. We will not surrender any of the soldiers, who you commanded, not one.’
The laughter ceased as if cut by a knife.

So Nilfgaard army sold thirthy two officers, and then Northern Kingdoms took care of them. The Vrihedd suffered a severe loss. Not a fair trade, truly.

Emhyr actually saved a lot of elves, by agreeing to send only the officers of the Vrihedd brigade to their deaths. It was the best he could do, since he "lost" the crucial fight. A very close defeat but a defeat nonetheless. So I would say that the slaughter of the commanders of the Vrihedd brigade, should be mainly attributed to the racism and thrist for vengeance of the Northern monarchs, rather than Emhyr's traitorous act.

So I would say that the slaughter of the commanders of the Vrihedd brigade, should be mainly attributed to the racism and thrist for vengeance of the Northern monarchs, rather than Emhyr's traitorous act.
Uhm, yeah, I've not thought about this, it was indeed a candy to soften the sign of the Peace of Cintra...

Top Bottom