Is TW3 getting downgraded for the sake of consoles?

+

Is TW3 getting downgraded for the sake of consoles?

• Yes

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 37 41.1%
  • Don't really care. It's for the developer to decide.

Votes: 29 32.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the little bits we've heard, I don't think there is any evidence to that. I think that just about every change is an effort to just make a better game and fix some old systems that didn't work well. "Recommended potions" is the only thing I can think of that falls into the category you are talking about, and it's such a minor thing that you may have the option to turn off.

Well, I think the auto-refill potions problem is still a real problem.
Also, the Witcher sense needs toning down.

Anyway, the combat problem seems resolved since it has been pretty much confirmed that this was only for presentation purposes...

Anyway, the combat problem seems resolved since it has been pretty much confirmed that this was only for presentation purposes...

Well, I hope that they will have a little bit more time now after E3 to present their vision in more depth. And I think that they shouldn't change anything in the game for their next presentation (Gamescom e.g.).

So, seems like we can switch the title's thread into: "Is TW3 getting upgraded for the sake of PC?" :p

I don't feel the same way about the auto potions, there are potentially good gameplay reasons they are going in that direction. Witcher sense highlights POI in the environment which is basically what its always done, as long as it remains that and its not forced on us then I'm fine with it.

Yep,definitely downgraded unfortunately.:sad:
2013:
View attachment 4143

2014:
View attachment 4144
Jokes aside I'm sure Red want a really good looking and don't want to be held back by the limitations of the console for the PC version. It seems they are working hard so why settle for less? it's going to be a long 9 months but hopefully we will get a proper send off Geralt deserves.

Attachments

• 2013w3.jpg
    2013w3.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 2014w3.jpg
    2014w3.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 53
I recommend reading this interview: http://www.rpgsite.net/interview/3663-talking-visual-fx-passion-witchers-with-cd-projekt-red

And then the thread might be closed, I think :p
Really great interview, thanks for the link. I'm also glad about every written interview after all this video interviews at E3 without background noise and every time to read it.. . :)

CDPR are just a cool, dedicated bunch of guys and gals and I think the PC version will be very good. It just seems that somebody has to put a new graphics card under my christmas tree this year... ;)

Last edited:
To quote from that article just in case there is still anyone who is unsure:
RPG Site: What sort of differences will there be between the three platforms? Do you feel there'll be a noticeable difference in the final product?

Teixeria: Well, obviously the specs mean that there will be differences in what is released. With that said, we are absolutely trying to push for the best experience possible on each of the platforms. Certainly with PC, you can put a massive graphics card in there and push the settings to the max, of course - who doesn't love that?

In terms of consoles, we're really trying to give it our all... y'know, we'll push it as much as we can.

RPG Site: Was a cross-generational console effort on the cards after how well The Witcher 2 did, or was that always a no-go?

Teixeria: There's... there's no way. It's one of those decisions. We really want to push it - we would have to cut too much to be able to go last-gen. We really didn't want to do that. Ultimately PC is still the absolute focus - you'll still be able to push all of the settings to the max and get the best out of it.

It makes so much difference when you get a sensible interviewer.

Last edited:
Yeah, excellent interview and the perfect guy to ask questions. He wasn't afraid to get specific.

I can't find it now but it seems someone Tweeted CDPR during E3 about which console version would be best. Response:

"That would be PC"

Yeah, excellent interview and the perfect guy to ask questions. He wasn't afraid to get specific.

I can't find it now but it seems someone Tweeted CDPR during E3 about which console version would be best. Response:

"That would be PC"

You're spreading urban legends again, aren't you? That was an older story (maybe E3 2013?), and it was confirmed that the Twitter account used did NOT belong to CDPR. I think it did some good though, it made CDPR start a twitter account.

Meanwhile, Mamais confirmed that the version of Witcher 3 shown during Microsoft's E3 press conference was indeed running on an Xbox One at 900p resolution and 30 frames per second.

It looked pretty good to our eyes, but Mamais insisted it will end up looking even better by the time development is finished for Witcher 3's February 2015 release date.

"We're still optimising for Xbox One and PS4 so it should look better than that in theory," he said. "But everything we're doing optimisation wise for PS4 and Xbox One, we're also optimising for PC. It's a cross-platform engine, so any optimisation we do for one platform goes into the other platform and just speeds it up, basically."

A 900p resolution is CD Projekt's "minimum", Mamais said. "We will hit 900p no problem. We'd like to get it up to 1080p on Xbox One. That's our goal. Whether we can do it or not I don't know. We've got to squeeze everything we can out of the hardware.

"Microsoft and Sony say 900p is the sweet spot, and there's not a lot of difference visually between 900p and 1080p, but it's a hot topic now. So that's what my goal is."

As expected, on PlayStation 4 Witcher 3 outputs at 1080p resolution.

"It's just a slightly more powerful machine," Mamais said. "That's pretty known. But I think in the longer run everything is going to be on both platforms running at 1080p. It's just taking developers longer to do it than they expected because the architecture is a little more challenging on the Xbox One.

"It's actually easier to develop for Xbox One for us because we're PC developers. So everything we do on PC is for DirectX 11. And Xbox is also based on DX. So for the rendering side it's a more natural progression for us to go to Xbox.

"But we anticipate being able to do 1080p on PS4 a little bit easier than on the Xbox."

As for PC, CD Projekt plans to add an ultra setting that, according to Mamais, you'll need a beefy machine to use.

"But I think it'll be worth it," he said. "Our ultra is pretty much the peak in games. At least we hope it is. The stuff we're doing is going to look really amazing."

Witcher 3 on PC ultra settings adds better tessellation, more physics, more post-processing and more realistic fur, Mamais said.

By comparison, the graphics of the console versions are equivalent to high settings on PC.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-combat-was-deliberately-easy-cd-projekt-says

Well, that should answer most questions. ;)

Guest 2686910

@ up
Like... c'mon... I guess I should be positive about this, but this means that either the game is crazy optimised (1080p 30 fps and high detail level on a card that is basically equal to 7870? Yes, please) or botched PC port (you need like a MONSTER card to push the game over console quality?... ok, then). Now I'm worried it's the latter. Crap. Reassure me, people.

@ up
Like... c'mon... I guess I should be positive about this, but this means that either the game is crazy optimised (1080p 30 fps and high detail level on a card that is basically equal to 7870? Yes, please) or botched PC port (you need like a MONSTER card to push the game over console quality?... ok, then). Now I'm worried it's the latter. Crap. Reassure me, people.
The demo at the MS conference an at 900p 30FPS on Xbox One like stated in the interview above. And the game isn't really polished or optimized yet with 8 months left for that...

I'm pretty sure a Radeon HD7870 will be sufficient to run the game on par with next-gen consoles at 1080p 30FPS on high settings.

@ up

Yeah my happiness concerning that interview has also disappeared a bit after reading that. That statement should mean that running the game on high will not require more than a 7870 or there abouts gpu wise. Otherwise it screams bad port.

"That would be PC"

Just like sid said it was a fake account that tweeted that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom