Is TW3 getting downgraded for the sake of consoles?

+

Is TW3 getting downgraded for the sake of consoles?

• Yes

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 37 41.1%
  • Don't really care. It's for the developer to decide.

Votes: 29 32.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OFFTOPIC:
It doesn't look identical. That's just wrong. It even looks better on my mid-range card than on PS4...

And there is imo no reason to buy a beefy PC for graphics alone with next-gen consoles now. Most traditional PC gamers play on this platform because they like M/K inputs, mods, flexibility, relative freedom and stuff AND the possiblity to get great graphics. If you only buy a PC because of graphics you make something wrong, sorry. I don't know why so many people nowadays think that PC gaming was all about graphics. It's not. And PC gamers are also not entitled to better graphics than console gamers just because they invested more in their hardware. Or do they pay more to the game devs for better graphics? I don't think so. I think PC gaming would be much healthier again if we wouldn't be that elitist and arrogant anymore. We should thank every multiplat dev who decides to both develop for PC and to even uptrade the tech for PC customers to whatever extend.
Of course the E3 2012 demo of Watch_Dogs looked slightly (!!!) better than the game on PC on maximum settings but that's really just a minor thing. The game isn't more or less fun on PC just because it looks 5 or 10% less good or whatever...

So why do I have to use a ring menu in TW2 for casting a spell if I could just use a hotkey instead without any forced pause?
Why is my inventory in TW2 list based forcing me to endlessy scroll through it until I find something (just like in Skyrim)?

Don't get me wrong, The TW2 was at least kind of optimized for mouse/keyboard configuration. But at its very core, it was still made "with a conroller in mind".
Interesting. I don't think I have ever used a sign out of the pause.

So why do I have to use a ring menu in TW2 for casting a spell if I could just use a hotkey instead without any forced pause?
Hmm? I'm not sure what you're saying, you can cast spells just by double tapping the corresponding sign key.

Last edited:
OFFTOPIC:
It doesn't look identical. That's just wrong. It even looks better on my mid-range card than on PS4...

And there is imo no reason to buy a beefy PC for graphics alone with next-gen consoles now. Most traditional PC gamers play on this platform because they like M/K inputs, mods, flexibility, relative freedom and stuff AND the possiblity to get great graphics. If you only buy a PC because of graphics you make something wrong, sorry. I don't know why so many people nowadays think that PC gaming was all about graphics. It's not. And PC gamers are also not entitled to better graphics than console gamers just because they invested more in their hardware. Or do they pay more to the game devs for better graphics? I don't think so. I think PC gaming would be much healthier again if we wouldn't be that elitist and arrogant anymore. We should thank every multiplat dev who decides to both develop for PC and to even uptrade the tech for PC customers to whatever extend.
Of course the E3 2012 demo of Watch_Dogs looked slightly (!!!) better than the game on PC on maximum settings but that's really just a minor thing. The game isn't more or less fun on PC just because it looks 5 or 10% less good or whatever...

Why is my inventory in TW2 list based forcing me to endlessy scroll through it until I find something (just like in Skyrim)?

Don't get me wrong, The TW2 was at least kind of optimized for mouse/keyboard configuration. But at its very core, it was still made "with a conroller in mind".

I'm not saying that there should be no key shortcuts, on the contrary.
I'm looking forward to customizing the key bindings when I see what the controls are.

OFFTOPIC:

Of course it's not just about graphics. I obivously can only speak for myself, but I'm also a PC gamer because you're not confined to, by comparison inferior input methods in regards to the limited number of buttons or the general lack of accuracy or precision when using controllers.
It's partly because of those limitations - and the cancerous less-tedium-more-convenience-mindset - that the gameplay often gets downgraded or simplified to oblivion as well, which in turn doesn't go down well with a lot of ye olde school PC-centric gamers, including myself.
A game doesn't need to achieve photo-realism in the graphics department - for me, that's only a nice to have - but if the downgrade also includes certain game mechanics being essentially streamlined for the dumb masses without the option of rolling back... for me, that's the point where the developer steps over that line and isn't really eligible anymore to claim that the "PC is the lead platform" or that the "PC is getting a proper PC version".

So I just saw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne4SScSSW08&feature=youtu.be&t=9m6s
Does this mean TW3 will be the next Watch Dogs? Where the developers purposely downgrade the PC version so that the consoles don't look as awful?

Watch Dogs' developer doesn't purposely downgrade their PC versions to make the console look better; they are an inept PC developer in capable of actually properly developing a game for the PC platform in the first place. There's kind of a running gag going on with them in how often overwhelming PC bugs appear in the PC ports of their games.

I find it sad and insulting, how people even dare to think that CDPR would pull Watch Dogs on Witcher franchise.

What's insulting about that? A lot of once respectable companies went the 'console first' way although they were 'pc first' developers for decades before. As of yet I'm still optimistic regarding CDPR, but one has to aknowledge that:

a) TW2 was 'consolized' in some aspects.
b) We haven't seen anything that screems: 'PC gamers, there you go - that's for you!". All the gameplay as of yet was with controllers.

I respect CDPR for a lot of thinks, most of all their very fair business approach, which solidifies itself in a lot of actions, which is why I chose to believe them even though we've not had any proof yet. But that doesn't mean CDPR is some kind of god-like developer who can't be questioned. In fact there've been quite some design decisions that strengthen the feeling that TW3 will go further down the consolized way that TW2 started carefully.

Watch Dogs' developer doesn't purposely downgrade their PC versions to make the console look better; they are an inept PC developer in capable of actually properly developing a game for the PC platform in the first place. There's kind of a running gag going on with them in how often overwhelming PC bugs appear in the PC ports of their games.

Have to agree there.

They are either lazy, they don't know what the hell to do with a PC version or they don't get enough time, which is all ultimately Ubisofts fault.
Seriously, in the last 5 years (with a few exceptions) all PC games of Ubisoft were such a mess you wouldn't believe it. So they either don't care about PC or just suck in PC optimization.

No company should be above questioning, no matter how good they've been in the past, and I love CDPR as much as the next guy. No one is accusing them of actually selling out. They're just saying there are few concerns. I think most of those are rooted in lack of concrete information and too much speculating, but there are a few facts about TW3 that could possibly lead to the PC version suffering.

First of all, this is the first time CDPR is developing for 3 platforms, concurrently. On top of that, they're a relatively inexperience developer, as a whole (especially on consoles), and don't have massive amounts of resources available to them like other AAA developers. No one doubts their intentions, but whether they can physically fulfill them is another matter. Their previous installments on PC have been good, but both needed post-release enhanced editions to really polish them up and push them up to another level. And what we've seen so far hasn't served to quash all doubts. It's not entirely unreasonable to question whether TW3 will truly be "a crowning achievement of the RPG genre", especially with these ridiculously high expectations.

As I've said many times before, it's too soon to be handing out judgement or flat out accusing them of neglecting the PC version. Let's wait and see more of the game & the final product before all of that. But there's nothing wrong with asking questions. I sincerely hope and believe that CDPR won't forget their roots, but then again, I've been around the gaming scene long enough to know nothing is truly infallible.

^CDPR can handle the platform alright,
I played TW2 on XBOX360 and it run smoothly till the end.

Consoles version are standardized though, that's why I'm gonna switch and play TW3 on PC to maximized my gaming experience.

Last edited:
I really do not get somethings, i will play the game, no just watch a movie, si even if the game got a "downgrade", what is the matter ? people stop of play GTA V o Watch Dogs for the downgrade ? NOOOOO !! and that what i talking about, believe in CDRED, they have done 2 great games, and they are a bigger company than before, so, no way that they will screw this.

I know they made a good port to the 360. However, porting a game that had been out for a while, as well as having already released several patches & the enhanced edition for, is different to getting out 3 games for 3 platforms at the same time. I'm sure the PS4 & X1 versions of TW3 will be good. I'm just saying the PC version won't have the same amount of undivided attention TW2 had. Now, of course this can all be offset by CDPR hiring more people and taking a longer dev cycle to do a proper job, which they seem to be doing. So I'm not particularly worried. It's just these things (I forgot to mention earlier that this will be CDPR's most ambitious game yet, and their first attempt at an open world game) adding up that's gotten people a little anxious. I repeat myself. No need to overly worry about this stuff until we have legitimate reasons to do so. That doesn't mean we can't wonder though.

It seems a lot of people forgot Witcher 2 came out on PC like a year before Xbox 360. Was it the best interface? Nope. Do I think it was designed that way because they thought the would be putting it on xbox 360 a year later? Nope. Also the witcher 3 UI I've seen looks like it would work just fine on PC.

I know they made a good port to the 360. However, porting a game that had been out for a while, as well as having already released several patches & the enhanced edition for, is different to getting out 3 games for 3 platforms at the same time. I'm sure the PS4 & X1 versions of TW3 will be good. I'm just saying the PC version won't have the same amount of undivided attention TW2 had. Now, of course this can all be offset by CDPR hiring more people and taking a longer dev cycle to do a proper job, which they seem to be doing. So I'm not particularly worried. It's just these things (I forgot to mention earlier that this will be CDPR's most ambitious game yet, and their first attempt at an open world game) adding up that's gotten people a little anxious. I repeat myself. No need to overly worry about this stuff until we have legitimate reasons to do so. That doesn't mean we can't wonder though.

Dont forget that the PS4 and Xbone are far closer to being pc's than consoles have ever been.

Was it the best interface? Nope. Do I think it was designed that way because they thought the would be putting it on xbox 360 a year later?

I strongly feel that is exactly what happened. The UI was prepped for porting to the funbox later. Designed for gamepads, it was.

I strongly feel that is exactly what happened. The UI was prepped for porting to the funbox later. Designed for gamepads, it was.

They've talked about how W2 combat took some inspiration from Demon Souls, so I think its natural that they had a gamepad design. Controller input for PC has been popular for a long time now, particularly for games with action combat like W2 (and now w3).

I'm not worried about a graphical downgrade, I'm more worried about it running like crap. Some games stutter a lot for me. Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the Arkham games for example, and I've been paranoid as to whether it is something wrong with my system or if the games are just poorly made and they stutter for a lot of people. It would really suck to finally get Witcher 3 on release day and it stutters, lags and frame-drops like crazy, ruining the experience.

I've also been thinking of getting an SSD to help eliminate stutter when my garbage spinner can't keep up with reading data, if that is the problem that is.

But, yeah. I'm confident the game won't be downgraded. And even if it is, I won't care that much as long as it runs decently. I still haven't been able to properly play Watch_Dogs due to how horrendously it performs.

Hopefully the game is highly moddible so if the ui is consoleized it can be fixed, Skyrim's ui was shit but the modding community did a awesome job on it.
That being said I do trust them I bought two games from them (not counting GoG games) and IMO got more then I paid for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom