Predicted witcher 3 system specs? Can I run it .

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
So my i5 2500K 3.3ghz Sandy Bridge will not bottleneck a GTX 880 (when released)? Wow. That's hard to believe! I mean.. we are talking The Witcher 3 here!

Last edited:
So my i5 2500K 3.3ghz Sandy Bridge will not bottleneck a GTX 880 (when released)? Wow. That's hard to believe!

If you have an aftermarket heatsink, you can easily overclock it to about 4.5Ghz.
At default speed I found it bottenecked some CPU intensive games like Skyrim and Crysis 3 but at 4.5Ghz it's nothing.
The K chips were literally made for overclocking. It'd be a waste not to overclock it and would of been better to go with a 2500 otherwise.

Last edited:
If you have an aftermarket heatsink, you can easily overclock it to about 4.5Ghz.
At default speed I found it bottenecked some CPU intensive games like Skyrim and Crysis 3 but at 4.5Ghz it's nothing.
The K chips were literally made for overclocking. It'd be a waste not to overclock it and would of been better to go with a 2500 otherwise.

Yeah, right now I have it overclocked to 4.1 ghz. Haven't had the time yet to go further, but I will. But anyway, an OC'ed 2500K 4.5Ghz will not bottleneck a GTX880?

And if I should not upgrade my 2500K now, when should I?

Anyone have experience overclocking Haswell CPUs? Just wondering how much heat they can take.

Planning on overclocking my 4790k as soon as the store I bought it gets them in stock.

Yeah, right now I have it overclocked to 4.1 ghz. Haven't had the time yet to go further, but I will. But anyway, an OC'ed 2500K 4.5Ghz will not bottleneck a GTX880?
Yea, it'll be fine.

And if I should not upgrade my 2500K now, when should I?
When you need to. :D
But seriously. It's kinda hard to say when you'll need to upgrade as we don't know how games in the future will handle CPU horsepower.
But considering that these new consoles use low-power chips and they're on the x86 architecture should mean that something like a 2500K should have no problem running games for most if not all of this console generation. But again it's just speculation.
The soonest I'd look into upgrading would probably be something like Skylake-E (Cannonlake?) in 2016.

And for overclocking here's a handy little Averages table for what others have gotten on their chips.
The percentile reads as: "75 - 1.288" means this voltage is better than what 75% of others were able to get.
So try from the 90th percentile voltage and try to see if that's stable in Intel Burntest or Prime95 and if it's not then move on to the 75th and so on until you find a stable voltage.
Make sure your temps are alright as well. But if you're using a decent aftermarket cooler it shouldn't be a problem.
http://i.imgur.com/MieIrJ6.png

Attachments

• 2500k Voltage Mean.jpg
    2500k Voltage Mean.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Well, the high performance computing market (servers, pro workstations, number crunchers) needs those new CPUs. Every bit of straight performance and performance per watt means money in the bank to them. For ordinary gamers, the point of diminishing returns is probably around the Sandy Bridge Core i5. But even in the high performance market, the advances over Sandy Bridge-E are merely fractional.

Yeah, server wise the extra bits of speed and more importantly, improvements in power usage are very welcome. Game wise it is just very stale. I had a look at the Haswell-E platform and the upcoming 8 core but that just seems like a waste to me. Proper 4 core usage is still far too rare in many of the recent games and I doubt that 6 or 8 cores will be utilised anytime soon. Heck, it may be many years before 8 cores actually make a difference.

Upgrading CPUs is mostly a waste of money. Before an upgrade is worth it, you actually have to have a need to run programs that require greater performance than you get now.

Dual-core Core 2's and nasty old things like Athlon 64x2 and original Phenoms are the only things that really have to be upgraded. In particular, any Core i7 and any Sandy Bridge Core i5 don't need an upgrade unless you're a professional number cruncher.

Heavy SLI or Crossfire setups that push the bandwidth of earlier PCI-Express systems are the only things where the CPU is likely to become a bottleneck.

Everything else is just having the latest CPU for bragging rights.

It isn't always about the cpu.....rather the chipset and it's features......z87 and z97 is so much better than z68 and z77.

So my i5 2500K 3.3ghz Sandy Bridge will not bottleneck a GTX 880 (when released)? Wow. That's hard to believe! I mean.. we are talking The Witcher 3 here!

No it should not, also if the rumors prove true that these will come with the arm cpu chip on the gpu then that makes it even less of an issue. If it works the way it is supposed to that is!!!

It isn't always about the cpu.....rather the chipset and it's features......z87 and z97 is so much better than z68 and z77.

No, it's not: all the LGA 1156/5/0 series motherboards are CPU-limited. The only improvements from Z77 to Z87 are things like the number of native 6Gbps SATA and USB 3.0 ports; the only improvements from Z87 to Z97 are support of CPUs you can't get yet and SATA Express devices you can't get yet.

If I were buying new, I would definitely go with the Z97 chipset. It's the only one with longevity. But upgrade a Z77/Sandy Bridge, just to attach more fast disks I don't have -- not worth any cost at all.

For a serious motherboard improvement, you have to go to LGA 2011. Anything less is worth it only so you can say you have it.

Last edited:
A7990 is a dual gpu card.........that is why it runs it better......compare that 7990 to 780 sli or 780ri sli and then you get the real picture....
Really! My god their is this amazing price for the 7990 here. To bad i don't have the money yet and even if i did i just want to upgrade when i know the specs for TW3.

No, it's not: all the LGA 1156/5/0 series motherboards are CPU-limited. The only improvements from Z77 to Z87 are things like the number of native 6Gbps SATA and USB 3.0 ports; the only improvements from Z87 to Z97 are support of CPUs you can't get yet and SATA Express devices you can't get yet.

If I were buying new, I would definitely go with the Z97 chipset. It's the only one with longevity. But upgrade a Z77/Sandy Bridge, just to attach more fast disks I don't have -- not worth any cost at all.

For a serious motherboard improvement, you have to go to LGA 2011. Anything less is worth it only so you can say you have it.

For me it is worth it. I do video and music stuff on the side. So "fat" discs are must. Also I just bought a m.2 sata drive. but I have to wait a few weeks for the 4970k to show up at micro center and then I will get the new z97 board so I can use that new m.2 sata drive but I see your point for most people it clearly not an issue.

Last edited:
So the 7990 is faster than the 780 Ti and i found a price that's cheaper than the 780 Ti here. So why should i not buy the 7990 over the 780 Ti? Any suggestions.

Yup, though things like SLI do not appear to be as terrible as they were several years ago. I recently tinkered with some SLI systems and it ran suprisingly perfect.

Quick question. If my MOBO has (for example) 4 internal 3.0 USB and 4 internal 2.0 USB, and my PC case only has 2 of each, is there any way I can get the most out of the USB ports, or will I be wasting some regardless?

Because dual GPU systems do have quite some potential issues you won't have with single GPU systems.
Yep. I gad a GTX 295 back in the day and after that experience I will never, ever buy another dual GPU card again. Or SLI/CFX in general.

Having a powerful single GPU card is just more simple and efficient and you don't constantly need to update and tinker with your drivers. It's just better.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,I am new here!.
I just upgraded my computer and I wanted to know if I could run The Witcher 3 at 30 fps with ''at least'' medium settings?. Here are the specs
Core i7 4770, 8GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX760 3G DDR5, DRW, WL N, HDD 1TB SATAIII, Windows 8 64bit.

Everyone complaining about sli is making me sort of nervous. Is it really that much extra hassle? I dont want to get rid of my 780 ti just to bump up to an 880 that will probably only be a small performance increase. Adding another 780 ti would be much more performance when the game gets sli support(hopefully at launch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom