Is this the end if the franchise or not?

+
Is this the end if the franchise or not?

I have encountered numerous articles stating it was such as these:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-06/21/witcher-3-interview

And

http://www.gamezone.com/originals/2...t-and-cd-projekt-red-being-the-face-of-poland

In the same month as this (look at the end)

http://www.polygon.com/a/e3-2014/the-witcher-3-the-wild-hunt

Could someone clear this up? No more contradictions, at least give us an update, like that if the third sells well and a story works that isn't tacked on you'll continue, or even tell us flat out if you won't. Just please clarify. Anyone else's opinions other than CDPR are welcome!

they were pretty clear.

end of Geralts saga, may revisit the Witcher world sometime later with a different protagonist

I think we need to play this game first and see what's up. They may hint about post dlc, but lets play TW3 & be surprised is my take on it.

They have repeatedly said, without ambiguity or contradiction, that this game will complete their story of Witcher Geralt; there will not be a Witcher 4.

Because they have other work in progress, specifically Cyberpunk 2077, it is unlikely they would do any more significant work in the Witcher universe for some years. And it would be silly to make forecasts beyond that.

The official line is as mico11 said, no more Geralt games, options remain open for everything else. I don't think they'll decide until they see how well it sells.

You really think so? Well then that'd be great. That's what one of the articles say. But the other two specifically say end of series, not franchise, maybe they seperate series and franchise? Maybe this series(trilogy) and franchise(entire thing) are different things in their mind, and the series is ending.

You really think so? Well then that'd be great. That's what one of the articles say. But the other two specifically say end of series, not franchise, maybe they seperate series and franchise? Maybe this series(trilogy) and franchise(entire thing) are different things in their mind, and the series is ending.

That would also be my interpretation.

Exactly, I understand that this is geralts last game, but possibly not the last franchise game is that correct Marcin Momot ?

I wouldn't expect CDPR to say anything that isn't vague :)
If they promise/strongly hint that there'll be more games, people will be upset if they change their mind. If they say there won't be more games, people will be upset now, and they STILL might change their minds.

Exactly, I understand that this is geralts last game, but possibly not the last franchise game is that correct Marcin Momot ?

The clearest way to put it: the end of Geralt's story, not the end of using the Witcher universe for future games. The only sure thing is, this is it for Geralt's trilogy.

My understanding from all they've said is that they're clear on the fact that TW3 is the end of Geralt's story. Now it doesn't mean we'll never see him again as spin-off games and DLC could see a few of his old stories visited or for him to still be a relevant character in future stories (or appear as a cameo)

However I think the biggest thing to take from all of that is that they do believe that the Witcher IP is very important and they don't plan on dropping it. They do want a break from it though as most of the devs move on to Cyberpunk. Most likely we'll see a few smaller scale games in the witcher universe (like the adventure game) and some DLC as far as short term is concerned.

For the next big standalone Witcher game I'm expecting the lead character to change, either it'll be Ciri or it'll be a new character that CD Projekt creates (which would give them a lot of freedom). All things considered I think it bodes well for the Witcher game IP as well as the upcoming titles from CD Projekt

It will be sad when Geralt's story ends. It sounds like they just wanted to end it and move on to a new IP Cyberpunk.
I don't think a new witcher game without Geralt and the crew would be the same. I guess they could do prequel, but those are always weaker then continuation of the story and there will be no story to continue after TW3. Even if they make another game, it would be probably 6-8 years or more before it can happen depending on how Cyberpunk fares.

Last edited:
In a few of interviews devs told that they want to take a rest from Witcher and do something different. Some people in team are working for more than 10 years on witcher's games and want to rest from spells, swords and medieval fantasy character.
We will see if after Cyberpunk 2077 there will be next game from the witcher universum or something completly different...

It will be sad when Geralt's story ends. It sounds like they just wanted to end it and move on to a new IP Cyberpunk.
I don't think a new witcher game without Geralt and the crew would be the same. I guess they could do prequel, but those are always weaker then continuation of the story and there will be no story to continue after TW3. Even if they make another game, it would be probably 6-8 years or more before it can happen depending on how Cyberpunk fares.
I totally understand how you feel. However think this: this could be the most massive, ambitious, well-written, beautiful game ever made, with hundred hours of compelling stories and characters, a complicated, convincing, and well-crafted world full of different factions, political intrigues, and tumultuous struggles. What could be more satisfying than to end a epic saga in such a high note, and to be compare among the ranks of timeless classics like Doom or MGS. If CDPR does not disappoint, which I have hundred precent faith that they wont, I would want nothing more :)

Personally I'm all for letting CDPR spread their creative wings rather than get tied down to one series. I would rather they not become known only as that Witcher company.

Top Bottom