The Yennefer/Triss choice in TW3

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Triss did not keep things from Geralt, at least not things that he should have known. She was simply staying loyal to the Lodge, that demanded complete secrecy from all its members. If you notice, the dialogue in the bath scene, there are two options. Geralt saying, "fuck it we are leaving now", or Geralt saying "no I have to stay to clear my name".

I think that's what Triss was trying to do, take Geralt away, while at the same time, cutting her bonds to the Lodge. She even told him about Yennefer on the way to Flotsam. She knew the Kingslayers game was really dangerous, because she knew Sorceresses were involved, and she didn't even have the whole picture at that point. The moment she saw Sile in Flotsam, I believe she got really really scared, I think she thought Sile was sent there to kill/capture Geralt. She even told him, when the witcher went to hunt the Kayran, "don't trust Sile". She just didn't say a word to Geralt about the Lodge, due to loyalty/fear of the Lodge. And because she thought she still had some time, I guess.

In the end, she revealed everything to him, because Geralt had really had enough, and because of Nilfgaards involvement. She is a patriot after all. She could not allow Nilfgaard wreak havoc. So she gave up the Lodge's members, in order to save the rest of the magic community, and the Council. So, at the point that we are now, Triss has given up the Lodge, no matter what happened due to choices. And all she wants is to get Geralt away from Kings, Sorceresses and the upcoming war.

From a relationship point of view, answering to @senteria , I think Triss and Geralt could indeed have a long term relationship, if Geralt actually felt that way about Triss. And yes, Yennefer and Geralt, are likely to break up many times, before they decide that it is meaningless. I think Geralt has come to a point, that he doesn't care about the Path anymore. He doesn't want to be a witcher. He had reached that point, in the final book, and he is at that point now. So did Yennefer, abandon all her ambitions, she got tired of it all. In the books that is. So here is me hoping that they will be fine. The problem I am seeing in Triss' character is this: She knows what Geralt's true feelings are towards her. She knows what Geralt has with Yennefer. And she is willing to sacrifice her happiness, in order for them to be happy. I really wish that aspect of her character is portrayed in the game, even if the players are given the choice to "pick" her.

Last edited:
See what we did? Now we know that the CGI trailer will focus on Yennefer, and it will be showed soon, and Triss will appear and all my dreams will be true.

Mine too, but what is that CGI trailer some of you are talking about? I only know the E3 trailer, wasn't that CGI already?

Mine too, but what is that CGI trailer some of you are talking about? I only know the E3 trailer, wasn't that CGI already?

The E3 trailer was a gameplay trailer, except for the last scene with the crow bursting through the soldiers head. CDPR has promised us a CGI trailer about Yennefer.

It was confirmed by Marcin Momot on page 131 of this thread. Here is the link: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/21184-The-Yennefer-Triss-choice-in-TW3/page131?p=1339786#post1339786

CDPR has promised us a CGI trailer about Yennefer.

Ah thanks, I've seen that post but it didn't explain why they would make a whole trailer about her. She is very important, I know and they need to introduce her to people who didn't play TW1 or read the books. Because they wouldn't know who she is and why they should trust her.

I just hope if @Marcin Momot or anyone of the devs read this that they don't change her looks. She is perfect as I imagined her, even if the hair is more brown than black. Other games did this changing characters in release and they looked off to me then.

If they would change Triss, Dandelion or Zoltan I would be mad too. I agree with the changes of Geralts face though, looks new and good.

Last edited:
The E3 trailer was a gameplay trailer, except for the last scene with the crow bursting through the soldiers head. CDPR has promised us a CGI trailer about Yennefer.

It was confirmed by Marcin Momot on page 131 of this thread. Here is the link: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/21184-The-Yennefer-Triss-choice-in-TW3/page131?p=1339786#post1339786

Well, I wouldn't say he has promised us anything about Yenn for sure. Yes, they did talk previously about a CGI trailer with the crow scene that will show us eventually, and yes we speculated that since the CGI trailers usually are a just a scene (Letho assaulting Demavend's ship; Geralt hunting monsters;...) and we know from the books that Yenn is able to conjure crows, so well, a trailer about Yeen seems possible and plausible. We asked Mr Momot himself and get that they have already decided when are gonna show us the trailer. He didn't denied that the trailer was gonna be about Yenn, but that is far from a confirmation.

So, just in case, there you have @nakachoko, the whole story :)

I just hope if @Marcin Momot or anyone of the devs read this that they don't change her looks. She is perfect as I imagined her, even if the hair is more brown than black. Other games did this changing characters in release and they looked off to me then.

I agree, but I'm pretty sure I read a post from Marcin Momot somewhere around here confirming hew hair is in fact black and it just appears brown in that scene due to lighting. I can't remember where I read it though. Aaaaand now I'm starting to doubt myself so don't quote me on this :)

I agree, but I'm pretty sure I read a post from Marcin Momot somewhere around here confirming hew hair is in fact black and it just appears brown in that scene due to lighting. I can't remember where I read it though. Aaaaand now I'm starting to doubt myself so don't quote me on this :)
Don't doubt yourself, it was in the thread about Yennefer's hair. :)

with the crow scene that will show us eventually, and yes we speculated that since the CGI trailers usually are a just a scene (Letho assaulting Demavend's ship; Geralt hunting monsters;...) and we know from the books that Yenn is able to conjure crows

That would be great if we were able to take her or Triss with us on a few missions, not always, but I really enjoyed in TW2 when Triss was protecting us from those Scoiatel archers shooting on us. I'd like some more bonding time as well outside the romance scenes. And I hope they don't make us rescue one of them again. It's annoying when female characters get kidnapped. I hope I saw right in the trailers that now a male is to be kidnapped, Dandelion seemed in some kind of trouble.

That would be great if we were able to take her or Triss with us on a few missions, not always, but I really enjoyed in TW2 when Triss was protecting us from those Scoiatel archers shooting on us. I'd like some more bonding time as well outside the romance scenes. And I hope they don't make us rescue one of them again. It's annoying when female characters get kidnapped. I hope I saw right in the trailers that now a male is to be kidnapped, Dandelion seemed in some kind of trouble.

Bah, Dandelion never gets into trouble. He always has a brilliant plan. Master Spy and all that.

Bah, Dandelion never gets into trouble. He always has a brilliant plan. Master Spy and all that.

This is a very difficult choice. Probably my Geralt chooses Triss.
Although if Yennefer will look the same as in the last trailer and if it is not less interesting character, the choice will fall on her. I do not know. I'll take a final decision in February 2015)))

Yes, I will make a save before that decision and replay at that point. Triss will have to wait in my game as well.

I hope the will not be one step where you have decide between one and you know it. That would be just cruel and bad.
I am hoping for some story-driven part where you have to do many things and have to decide many times, and some of them will result in the final choice.
A binary decision right between both would be... very unsatisfying I would say.

I hope the will not be one step where you have decide between one and you know it. That would be just cruel and bad.
But you loved both of them at some point in your life, you have to hurt the feelings of one of them. Even someone like Geralt can't convince them to have them "share" him together. At least they probably won't fight as they were standing with you on the ship calm.

Oh I expect some tension. Might even be too much for Geralt to handle. Oh and Geralt never said he loved Triss. It might have appeared that way, but all he really said was, she is very important to him. I like that CDPR did that actually.

A binary decision would indeed be really unsatisfying. For me it is a very delicate matter for CDPR to handle. I have no clue on how they will do it. Though I do not want CDPR to enforce Yennefer on the people that have not read the books, and that think that Geralt has something special with Triss, but to me it seems quite a tough situation.

If CDPR presents Yennefer as she is in the books, I don't see a way for Geralt to get to choose between her and Triss. Not without some crazy quarreling and yelling. Yennefer's amnesia will have a huge impact on this I believe. If she does not remember a thing about Geralt, it will make things quite a lot easier. Still really hard, since Geralt does remember. But if she remembers everything, I think it is impossible. Triss will get "pushed away" that is for sure. In my opinion.

But you loved both of them at some point in your life, you have to hurt the feelings of one of them. Even someone like Geralt can't convince them to have them "share" him together. At least they probably won't fight as they were standing with you on the ship calm.

Of course you have to. I think this is something that we will surely see, the consequences of hurting one of them.

But what I wanted to say is, that there should NOT be a direct decision between Yennefer and Triss. Nothing like "Both are waiting. To whom will you go? - 1. Triss 2. Yennefer"
This would be stupid. There has to be a long way up to it wich is far more complicated than that.

Nothing like "Both are waiting. To whom will you go?
Well we can't blame Triss, she probably still believes Yen is dead, but some say she took advantage of us despite of that.

Edit:
Oh and Geralt never said he loved Triss.

You can't have forgotten the whole rose of remembrance scene? If not, he said he is sure he loved some sorceress at a point, not knowing he meant Yen. Don't remember what part that quote was from again.

Last edited:
You can't have forgotten the whole rose of remembrance scene? If not, he said he is sure he loved some sorceress at a point, not knowing he meant Yen. Don't remember what part that quote was from again.

No no I haven't forgotten. Well you are actually right here, Triss told him that if you give the Rose to someone you love, it stays alive forever. We did have the option to give it to her. Given the circumstances I'm pretty sure that it needs to be "real" love, not the kind between friends. Geralt knew about Yennefer at that point. He also knew about Triss. I'm going to think this through a bit.

That last quote is nonexistent I believe. Geralt said in TW1 that he has a feeling that Triss is important, so people say that he confused Triss for Yennefer. I think he kind of did, but kind of did not. Since Triss really was important to him, just not in that way.

Well @wichat seems to think that Geralt told Triss that he loved a sorceress from the past, at the end of TW1 prologue, but she wasn't sure. And I can't remember such a thing. I guess it is something to look for when I replay the game.

Oh I expect some tension. Might even be too much for Geralt to handle. Oh and Geralt never said he loved Triss. It might have appeared that way, but all he really said was, she is very important to him. I like that CDPR did that actually.

A binary decision would indeed be really unsatisfying. For me it is a very delicate matter for CDPR to handle. I have no clue on how they will do it. Though I do not want CDPR to enforce Yennefer on the people that have not read the books, and that think that Geralt has something special with Triss, but to me it seems quite a tough situation.

If CDPR presents Yennefer as she is in the books, I don't see a way for Geralt to get to choose between her and Triss. Not without some crazy quarreling and yelling. Yennefer's amnesia will have a huge impact on this I believe. If she does not remember a thing about Geralt, it will make things quite a lot easier. Still really hard, since Geralt does remember. But if she remembers everything, I think it is impossible. Triss will get "pushed away" that is for sure. In my opinion.

I hold a different approach. Geralt of books is one thing. Geralt of games is another. In other words I do not try to play by the canon. And I think that you can play as you want, but not as much as would have made the book Geralt.
But this is only my point of view. It's my choice. And so I find it easier than you. But you really have a hard choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom