Please fix this problem with a patch IMPORTANT!

+
Please fix this problem with a patch IMPORTANT!

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/computer_shuts_down_completely_and_then_turns_itself_back_on_again/page1

I made a post on that website but I wanted to make one on the official The Witcher 2 forums because A LOT of people with high end gaming pc's are having problems with this game like after 2-3 hours of straight game play their computers shutdown and then turn themselves back on it only happens with this game I tested every single hardware in my computer everything is running fine and the shutdowns happens when the temps of the card is only at 60 degrees Celsius and my cpu temp is at 40 degrees Celsius so it isn't my computer it is the game itself since millions of other people have this problem I play crysis 2 which requires a even better computer on ultra settings, high resolution pack and direct x 11 installed so please fix this with a patch or something.

It only started having this problem installing patch 1.3

Edit: Check this link out http://au.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28665444/the-witcher-2-crashingrestarting-pc...-over-heating

Same answer you found out for yourself in the other forum. You were running with SpeedStep on, and your computer is one of those that are unable to shift in or out of SpeedStep while running this game. You found the correct solution there, which is to disable SpeedStep.

There are old, but detailed and accurate, descriptions of the problem at:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=12025681

It's not a fault with the game, though it's a system problem that justifies a Tech FAQ entry.

Well how come Crysis 2 works fine with no shut downs or problems when Crysis 2 is a lot better then The Witcher 2 in graphics and hammers your computer a lot more then the witcher 2 does.

And if you read it isn't my computer I took my computer to a technician and he tested every single hardware that is in my computer and all had positive results

Different games will result in different SpeedStep regimes. TW2 apparently causes your hardware to switch SpeedStep in a manner that invokes a known bug in some SpeedStep implementations. That's not a game fault. That's a motherboard or BIOS fault. The fact that a technician who did not run a test that exercised this particular bug did not find a fault does not mean the fault is with the game.

guynwah said:
Different games will result in different SpeedStep regimes. TW2 apparently causes your hardware to switch SpeedStep in a manner that invokes a known bug in some SpeedStep implementations. That's not a game fault. That's a motherboard or BIOS fault.

Oh okay thank you so much is your speedstep disabled? I disabled mine and so far having no witcher 2 problems does having speedstep disabled do anything to your computer like harm it in anyway? Or is it fine having it disabled.

Oh okay thank you so much is your speedstep disabled? I disabled mine and so far having no witcher 2 problems does having speedstep disabled do anything to your computer like harm it in anyway? Or is it fine having it disabled.

zazally said:
Oh okay thank you so much is your speedstep diabled? I disabled mine and so far having no witcher 2 problems does having speedstep disabled do anything to your computer like harm it in anyway? Or is it fine having it disabled.

SpeedStep is a power and noise reduction regime. By reducing CPU frequency (and sometimes voltage), you can get a reduction in power of 50% or so and a comparable reduction in fan noise. In office environments, where the company buying the computers is also paying for the power, paying for the cooling to remove the heat generated by the power, and trying to create a quiet environment, this is of considerable value.

SpeedStep can be troublesome when it switches in unexpectedly. It creates a sudden reduction in CPU speed and may reduce voltage to a level at which the CPU is momentarily not stable. This is especially likely with CPUs that are overclocked, or with certain motherboards.

A computer that has adequate cooling at full power will not be damaged by disabling SpeedStep. The Intel boxes I run are overclocked (not aggressively, just 20-25%) and have SpeedStep disabled as well. You're safe running that way; the only damage will be to your wallet if you are both leaving the computer on 24/7 and paying the electric bill.

zazally said:
Well how come Crysis 2 works fine with no shut downs or problems when Crysis 2 is a lot better then The Witcher 2 in graphics and hammers your computer a lot more then the witcher 2 does.

For some reason I don't agree. Crysis 1 was a lot more hammering than Crysis 2, dumbed down engine if you ask me (dumbed down game as well, everything explained and served on a silver plate, how I hate those games ...)

Guest 3498887

I'm just curious about SpeedStep on my PC laptop. Is it a local service? I looked through my local services and found none named SpeedStep. I did a Windows 7 search and found no reference to SpeedStep. Might not show if it is a BIOS item. Haven't looked through the BIOS in a long long time.

Ratsneve said:
I'm just curious about SpeedStep on my PC laptop. Is it a local service? I looked through my local services and found none named SpeedStep. I did a Windows 7 search and found no reference to SpeedStep. Might not show if it is a BIOS item. Haven't looked through the BIOS in a long long time.

SpeedStep is controlled in two places: Windows Power Management (Power Options on the control panel) and the BIOS.

Setting the power profile to "Home/Office Desk" or "High Performance" is supposed to disable SpeedStep, but does not always do so.

Disabling SpeedStep (which is also called EIST) in the BIOS is more certain. You want both SpeedStep (or EIST) and C1E set to DISABLED to make sure. (SpeedStep is the worse offender. C1E just downclocks the CPU. SpeedStep/EIST also adjusts the voltage.)

Proprietary computers such as HP or Dell may not allow disabling SpeedStep.

Guest 3498887

BTW, before I go further this is curiosity interest only...I am not experiencing the problem the OP has had.

I checked my Power Management Advanced settings on my laptop Sager NP9262 and found no mention of SpeedStep there. However I did find that I had set max processor state to 100% for both battery and plugged in. Still not being quite satisfied with my knowledge (which months from now I will likely have forgotten all about) I called Sager technical support and learned that it seems desktops have SpeedStep visible in BIOS but that laptops by default have SpeedStep enabled with no means to change it--even high-end gaming laptops like I have. The tech said too that my Power Management settings would have no effect on SpeedStep.

For me at this time this curiosity is closed.

Top Bottom