Interviews and Articles Part 2

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like there would be a greater chance for rain and fog in that area but not always. I try to remember which game it was but there were sandstorms and what not and Dead Space 3 had snow storms in some areas. Not knowing where I go or what is in front of me makes it more fun to explore a new area. Hope the map will be grey in places we didn't visit yet.

Yeah, I'm sure there are areas that are more prone to certain weather types (again, they could have altered the swamp simply for the videos). The demo from E3 last year featured a forest in Skellige (an area that is often quite cold and murky, from the looks of it), and the forest that the leshen inhabited got gloomier and gloomier the deeper you progressed.

One thing I will add, though, is the difference in 'grittiness' between the earlier trailer footage and this new gameplay. For example:

I love the aesthetics of this scene, slightly 'washed-out' and gritty look.

But compare that with the same fish market we see again during the Dijkstra quest in the demo (1:50 mark):

The colour scheme looks entirely different. Although, this could just be the time of day, angle, or other factors.

Last edited:

Jupiter_on_Mars

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w-e5VYMpjos[/video]

Since Angry J. named his dog after Geralt, I'm expecting an Easter Egg in return. A barking mad dog called Joe.

Yeah, I'm sure there are areas that are more prone to certain weather types (again, they could have altered the swamp simply for the videos). The demo from E3 last year featured a forest in Skellige (an area that is often quite cold and murky, from the looks of it), and the forest that the leshen inhabited got gloomier and gloomier the deeper you progressed.

One thing I will add, though, is the difference in 'grittiness' between the earlier trailer footage and this new gameplay. For example:

I love the aesthetics of this scene, slightly 'washed-out' and gritty look.

But compare that with the same fish market we see again during the Dijkstra quest in the demo (1:50 mark):

The colour scheme looks entirely different. Although, this could just be the time of day, angle, or other factors.

I noticed that as well. Save for the green overcast, I too prefer the grittier, almost monochromatic colour scheme. But the scene is shot from a different angle, the crowd is missing and the tree on the left isn't there . Footage isn't exactly crisp either. I reserve my judgement for later.

Last edited:
Since Angry J. named his dog after Geralt, I'm expecting an Easter Egg in return. A barking mad dog called Joe.

I noticed that as well. Save for the green overcast, I too prefer the grittier, almost monochromatic colour scheme. But the scene is shot from a different angle, the crowd is missing and the tree on the left isn't there . Footage isn't exactly crisp either. I reserve my judgement for later.

Exactly. We would need better video quality to compare.

Sure, there could be many factors to consider which I mentioned, as well as the video quality. But there is a clear difference. The colour is more intense just looking at the buildings, and even the trees look less detailed when it comes to light/shadows.

But, you're right, we need better footage to judge emphatically. The swamp footage looks quite good...not the same as the image above, but good nonetheless.

I also prefer the colour scheme of the trailer. It adds grit and a sense of dreariness that fits the world of the witcher very well, especially with the war to decide the fate of the north raging on. It would be even better if different regions each had their own colour scheme, as a subtle visual storytelling aid. Give areas that are ravaged by the war a less vibrant look, and places like Novigrad, where it looks less affected by the nilfgaard invasion, a brighter palette.

Remember the interview with the guy who created the clouds? I think the weather will be different every time you play it, unless there's a specific reason why a particular quest has to be played in specific weather conditions.

God?

Anyway, I'm a bit disappointed that they won't be volumetric. Even KSP has them (modded in, anyway.)

They have semi volumetric clouds. Too performance intensive to have proper volumetric clouds rendered as well as the rest of the game.
KSP has the benefit of looking like crap so they can afford to have volumetric clouds.
They aren't rendered particularly well in that mod either.

wichat, I posted it four pages back :). (albeit not in as a video link, but I've updated it just in case anyone misses it)

Last edited:
They have semi volumetric clouds. Too performance intensive to have proper volumetric clouds rendered as well as the rest of the game.
KSP has the benefit of looking like crap so they can afford to have volumetric clouds.
They aren't rendered particularly well in that mod either.

Yeah, I know why they don't have them. All I'm saying is that I'm a bit disappointed, as it would have been cool to have that feature. It's definitely not all that important though, TW1 still has the best skybox I've seen in a game and it doesn't use anything fancy.

Clouds in KSP look damn impressive though, I have to disagree there.

I'm not sure if this has been posted or not, I couldn't find it, at least. It's a gameplay video of all released footage, in chronological order. The first part of it (the Gryphon hunt) is unusual, because it's the same footage from the MS Conference, but it's controlled by somebody else, and plays out slightly different. If anyone can confirm.

lol joe turned out to be such a fanboy

he was really calm and poked the developers in his other interviews

I'm not sure if this has been posted or not, I couldn't find it, at least. It's a gameplay video of all released footage, in chronological order. The first part of it (the Gryphon hunt) is unusual, because it's the same footage from the MS Conference, but it's controlled by somebody else, and plays out slightly different. If anyone can confirm.

The first part was realeased on the same (or maybe the next) day as MS conference, but it was shown to a jornalist like the IGN and Gamespot one. But i can't remember wich site it originates form. It's probably linked in the OP of this thread somewhere. I dont think we have HQ footage of it.

@Scheuk
I hope they really eliminate loadings screens. In the E3 demo it worked nicely on Taverns. Thief4 di hide them not so clevery in very slow animations and crawl spaces giving the game enough time to secretly load in background. Thankfully this seems not to be the case here, thanks CDPR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom