84 - Amphisbaena
85 - Neocorise
86 - Arkenor
87 - Aeschna
88 - Ilyocoris
89 - Brukolak
90 - Fogler
91 - Vypper
92 - Lamia (just found it cool and mention it but 99% wont be present since they live in desert like areas south)
93 - Eyehead
94 - Giant centipede
95 - The Tree creature
96 - "Cloud / Water / Wind Sprites" - pest / monster
97 - Korred
98 - Knocker
99 - Roc
100 - Shrike

There..., only some of them either from the books, Slavic mythology... Number 80 is a problem? Take your pick

wow a big list, great job, but............what do you mean with 39 - German? .........are they monsters?

As far as I know, it's a name that was used in in the Byzantine Empire. The mud/clay doll is named German. And so is the ritual associated with this whole thing, don't know that it's considered an actual mythological being though.

Anyway, it has nothing to do with the word for German (a person from Germany.) Still funny though.

Last edited:
Shit, dare I even venture into this discussion? Have I walked into a Moderator duel then?

Shit, dare I even venture into this discussion? Have I walked into a Moderator duel then?

More like a mod-mob.

So, back to germans. I gather from the wikipedia article that it's a hard 'g', like get?
(And presumably the word for people from Germany in the countries concerned is totally different, so the double-take on the name only works in English)

actually Slavic pronounciation of word German -> a person from Germania has the same "hard G" as in word GET the same G is used for creature German. There is only one pronounciation of G in Slavic language unlike in English one.

So while the monster German pronounciation wise doesn't fit the inhabitant of Germany in English it fits inhabitant of Germania -> German 100% in Slavic language.

But this is a bit off topic. I apologize for that

Last edited:
@Dragonbird Pretty much, yeah. The Bulgarian word for German (person, language) is actually... a bit of a jab at the language, I guess? And it's not even close to the word German. But saying Germany is essentially the same as the English word for it, interestingly enough.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll see plenty of cool monsters in the game, we've already seen quite a few from the trailers, screenshots and gameplay demos. I'm really loving the design - it's something they've done well ever since the first game

Last edited:
I'd like it if this thread stayed on-topic, please. German, German...find your own thread. Some people...

Monster as ally. Too Twilight? They are intelligent, quite a few of them, but would it diminish the horror? The Witcher comic book I've been reading has him on fairly friendly terms, for awhile at least, with a few odd creatures, at least one quite possibly homicidal. Trying to remember if that has happened with Geralt yet, but cannot...

For me, it's less about the number or variety - in fact, I feel too many or too common reduces the "charm" of the monster theme - and more about their impact on the story. Witcher 1, I felt like drowners were just kind of annoying. Witcher 2, at least on Hard, they stayed deadly for quite a while.

Top Bottom