THE WOLF AMONG US: new Tell-Tale kick ass game on the works...

+
You're right about the investigations in episode 1, but when I went to Toad's, I didn't know what happened and I wanted to investigate to understand it, and I was cautious with my dialogue options. Meanwhile, in episode 2, I already knew what happened in that room and yet the "investigation" felt awfully patronizing to me.
The teaser for episode 3 doesn't add much to the teaser for episode 2.
To sum it up... While I was staggered by people when they were shouting at Telltale for the delay, I can now understand how such delay can kill this kind of game -- I almost lost interest in the intrigue and characters and ep.2 didn't rekindled that.
I hoped the story wasn't about murder cases but about Bigby (similar to TWD not being a story about zombies, at least for me). Ep. 2 added nothing to his character.

I can see where you're coming from. I guess if you look at it in an episode by episode basis, you can say this one was weaker but I think it's better that they're treating it as a whole story rather than actual episodic content.

I suggest you wait until all episodes have been released, I think it's going to feel a lot more organic if you play them back to back. It's just different than 'The Walking Dead', it is not the same title after all. And I'm glad that's the case, never really liked TWD, not my kind of setting or storytelling (I prefer the way the story's presented in this game - it's a whole rather than being fragmented like it was in TWD). Telltale probably shouldn't have used the episodic model on this one, doesn't work well with it.

So what's the gameplay like? Similar to The Walking Dead?

I've played a whole bunch of Telltale games (the entire Sam & Max saga, Wallace & Grommit, Puzzle Agent, Back to the Future, Tales of Monkey Island) but TWD is a whole new approach.

I do miss Sam & Max though, and hope they will bring them back. At least I nabbed a Max & Crossbones t-shirt back then :)

Yes, it's very similar to TWD. Though the combat feels much more visceral, but I think that's mostly due to the sound desgin. The gameplay's fairly simplistic.

Last episode was released. A vague adrenaline rush toward the end, but that's it.

Same issues. And more.
They are still reusing the settings over and over. And the story and storytelling are terrible.
At least the universe looked interesting, the voice acting is good and the music decent.

Really enjoyed the last episode. The investigation itself didn't progress much, no new lead - they did introduce a whole new thread though. I do like the way it's going though. I am sorry to hear you're not into the story, Cheylus. I think it's Telltale's best.

Last edited:
Last episode was good, but i still hate the thing with episodes, its sucks for me, i want a full game not many small episodes with cliff hangers...

At last got time to play all three episodes. I really liked it, and will definitely play the rest. It suck big time that delays are so long, really kills the moment.
Also different choices (mostly be nice or beat up/maim/kill) still did not pay up in any way. I don't really see a point of being a jerk and going around beating up people. It should make sense (take the entire investigation to a different route, for example), and not to be just an indicator of player's bitchiness we can compare with the bitchiness of others in the menu.
Some things are nice, like an order of locations you go to investigate. Unfortunately, by trial and error you can find the best way through the game (nobody dies, most info revealed), and the rest will be more like a failure similar to the endings of Heavy Rain (nothing beneficial is gotten from going to Toad first, and letting Lawrence die, for example). I hope it will change in the later episodes and our previous good or bad decisions will lead to crucial differences.

Should be out later today:

EDIT: It's good, I liked it. Looking forward to the conclusion.

Last edited:
Ep. 4 was better than 2 and 3 and had some interesting scenes. "Scenes" because it feels more and more like a tv show than a video game to me. And not a very good tv show either: the bits of interactivity helps with the annoyance of going to the same places over and over through the episodes and making the same things (choose the order you'll visit two or three places, choose to be a jerk or a nice guy). I'm so glad we didn't need to go to the bar AGAIN in Ep.4 and that I didn't get another explanation with Woody.

However, the game gets simpler and simpler: there's nothing to investigate, nothing to think about, you're on your slow rollercoaster ride without any means of deviating and your dialogs choices don't matter yet. You're not a player, you're an audience. I go through a game, making choices, and not seeing any real consequences for my actions. I'm still making two playthroughs of it, and there is little to no differences between my regular playthrough and my "choices-I-didn't-make-earlier" playthrough. I guess Ep. 5 will all be about that (whether your helped the frog, the pig or threatened mr. X or not, etc.), but it has been a long (and sometimes boring) run to me.

And the game keeps piling up questions without giving any real answers. I don't feel like I'm progressing in my investigation, I feel like the game makes me progress. I know I shouldn't have too much expectations, but I expected a bumpy ride, not a comfy one.

Just to see what would happened, I didn't use my controller through a dialog, which automatically selects "..." options: it changed nothing to the informations I got and 75% of the dialog stayed the same. Unfortunately the game is also 75% dialogs, 10% unplayable cutscenes, 5% button mashing, 5% walking slowly and 5% "important" moral choices.

I'm chocking in this game. The TWD recipe doesn't work with this setting and storytelling in my opinion; instead of looking themselves with TWD they should have looked old point&click games or even L.A. Noire.

Last edited:
I don't know, I feel like the problems you've described also apply to TWD, except for revisiting places, which is simply something that the plot of this game demands. It's unfortunate to see Telltale not really innovating in any way, and it probably won't work for much longer, but for me the setting is compelling enough to make me have a good time.

As great as TWD and TWAU are in terms of plot, it does bother me a little that choice and consequence
remains an illusion more or less and that so many gameplay elements have been removed
in comparison to TWD season 1.

It's more like an interactive movie - a good one - but for such linear plot the episodes seem short.

This became especially apparent when TWD wrapped up the entire Carver arc in one episode,
along with signing the fate of an entire community with all of it's members we barely met.

It's sad, not because TWD isn't a great game, but because it could have been so much more...

As great as TWD and TWAU are in terms of plot, it does bother me a little that choice and consequence
remains an illusion more or less and that so many gameplay elements have been removed
in comparison to TWD season 1.

It's more like an interactive movie - a good one - but for such linear plot the episodes seem short.

This became especially apparent when TWD wrapped up the entire Carver arc in one episode,
along with signing the fate of an entire community with all of it's members we barely met.

It's sad, not because TWD isn't a great game, but because it could have been so much more...

I think that the game is basically a marketing device for the Fables comics. They draw you in with the games story, which is good by the way, then if you want to find out more about the characters, you buy the comics. It's actually really clever when you think of it. I mean, I'm considering buying the comics and I'm not a comic fan! :thumbsup:

I think that the game is basically a marketing device for the Fables comics. They draw you in with the games story, which is good by the way, then if you want to find out more about the characters, you buy the comics. It's actually really clever when you think of it. I mean, I'm considering buying the comics and I'm not a comic fan! :thumbsup:

It seems to have worked for the Walking Dead comics too: the sales went up a lot after the game received public attention.

I guess it's a cooperation that benefits both parties and there is nothing wrong with that.
In fact, TWD turned out way better what AMC did with the tv series or the horrible spinoff game.

I'm not a big comic fan either, but I think they are a treasure grove of creative ideas for developers~

Attachments

• episode5-bigby.jpg
    episode5-bigby.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 70
Top Bottom