Divinity: Original Sin

+
It's been "a few days" now and still no D:OS at GOG. I wonder what they're up to over there? And all of you already having fun with this game are killing me :sad: .

NOOOOOOOO..waaiiiit for WItcher...oh, actually, never mind. Just invest wisely.

Great game. I'm running customized magic-enhanced sneak/sniper with a heal/fire mage. Care wins the day.

Bold statement time: It's highly unlikely that Witcher 3 will be as good as D:OS

Bold statement time: It's highly unlikely that Witcher 3 will be as good as D:OS

Ahhh..well...ah..D:OS is good, but for me, not as good as Witcher 1 or 2. So there's that. D:OS, so far, lacks grit, a sense of bloody consequence and mature writing. NOT THAT FAR IN.

But, so far, no. It's a fun fantasy semi-isometric RPG with some neat stuff, but it is no Witcher. I seriously doubt playing this game will change how I think about fantasy games or give me strong, persistent memories that will crop up when I drive, or when I read news headlines or when I think of elves, dwarves and bigotry.

Perhaps this will all happen later in D:OS? Because so far, the dialogue alone,a s amusing as it is, is faaaar behind Witcher 1 or 2. In terms of theme, complexity and immersion.

For me the comparison would be different. It's likely that Linux version of the Witcher 3 will take longer time to materialize after the release than the Linux version of Original Sin after theirs.

But I wouldn't really compare them 1:1. They are somewhat different genres. The whole Witcher series is heavier in the adventure side, while Divinity series is closer to classical RPGs. A more fair comparison would be between Divinity Original Sin and the upcoming Pillars of Eternity and Torment - Tides of Numenera.

Last edited:
Ahhh..well...ah..D:OS is good, but for me, not as good as Witcher 1 or 2. So there's that. D:OS, so far, lacks grit, a sense of bloody consequence and mature writing. NOT THAT FAR IN.

But, so far, no. It's a fun fantasy semi-isometric RPG with some neat stuff, but it is no Witcher. I seriously doubt playing this game will change how I think about fantasy games or give me strong, persistent memories that will crop up when I drive, or when I read news headlines or when I think of elves, dwarves and bigotry.

Perhaps this will all happen later in D:OS? Because so far, the dialogue alone,a s amusing as it is, is faaaar behind Witcher 1 or 2. In terms of theme, complexity and immersion.

I hope it doesn't become grimdark like the Witcher games later on, this is a game that doesn't take itself so seriously and I really like that. But the reason why I said that is because this game plays way better than any of the other Witcher games(or any of the other Divinity games for that matter), the quest design has been pretty good so far and there are multiple ways of solving the quests(and I'm not talking about picking a different dialogue option to see a different outcome), the combat system is pretty damned good and the enviroment interaction is a lot of fun. So far my complaints are pretty minor, mainly stealing being way too easy(just use one of your characters to distract the npc by talking) and randomized loot.

For me the comparison would be different. It's likely that Linux version of the Witcher 3 will take longer time to materialize after the release than the Linux version of Original Sin after theirs.

But I wouldn't really compare them 1:1. They are somewhat different genres. The whole Witcher series is heavier in the adventure side, while Divinity series is closer to classical RPGs. A more fair comparison would be between Divinity Original Sin and the upcoming Pillars of Eternity and Torment - Tides of Numenera.

You can't compare them 1:1(that'd be silly), but the 10+ hours I've played of D:OS have entertained me faaar more than both Witcher games. I am biased towards turn-based games, so there's that.

Also, that sort of statement might catch the eye of someone lurking this thread and make it more interested on the game :D

No way.
D:OS lacks grit, a mature and gripping story and fleshed out characters~

But apart from that it's an excellent game, haven't had such a fun RPG in a while.
I can't complain.

So, I managed to play a good few hours of the game today - looks like my expectations have been met. Larian have really done an amazing job. Have yet to give the co-op a bash though, but the companion debate system seems to be working fine with the personality AI. I just wish they'd implemented something more interesting than a rock-paper-scissors game to resolve debates...

But yeah, combat and exploration are fun, and it definitely gives you a lot of options to deal with tasks.

Last edited:
Well it took them a few days but it's finally downloadable for me, and it looks like Larian's already released a free DLC called Source Hunter. Pretty cool. Has anyone been doing the co-op yet?

Good game, quite satisfied with this one. Has a few interface issues, some quest completion issues possibly due a more serious dialogue system branching overcomplication, and in at least one case I haven't been able to finish a quest by an obvious alternative route (pickpocketing an amulet that should've completed an assassination quest). It's got a nice atmosphere, if a bit frivolously verbose at times, graphics & sound all good, skills & combos, crafting & how_you_learn_to_play all got that oldskool no handholding feel, which makes the player more involved.

From PCGamer:
More than 160,000 copies of the game have been sold, Vincke said, driven primarily by positive word of mouth. Reviews are in very short supply at the moment because the studio continued working on the game until the last possible minute, and the total marketing effort put into it was just "two ads we did with the last of our money."

Well played Larian Studios, give the gamers what they paid for, and don't waste money supporting the highly unethical marketing industry, yet again proven an unnecessary expense for the financial success of a good game.

Damn it. I don't have enough time to play all of these games.

With this and Wasteland 2, Eternity amd Numenera it seems we're living a second golden age of cRPG.

I'm surprised how tactical the fights turned out.
You can even defeat opponents way above your level if you use terrain and status effects in your favor.

Larian really outdid themselves on this game.

Running out of lockpicks so I tried something, combined a hammer with nails, and it fucking worked. Love this crafting system and I finally remembered where Sven most likely got it from, Ultima Underworld, there you could combine so many thing. Oil flask with wood = torch, corn with torch = popcorn etc.

Running out of lockpicks so I tried something, combined a hammer with nails, and it fucking worked. Love this crafting system and I finally remembered where Sven most likely got it from, Ultima Underworld, there you could combine so many thing. Oil flask with wood = torch, corn with torch = popcorn etc.

So how does it work? You enter a crafting menu, put any two or more objects together, hit a button and suddenly a new item materializes? Like hammer and nails get replaced by a lockpick? Like a regular looking lockpick? Or a weird device that can be used in the context of a lockpick?

Very interesting.

That's like saying lobster was better than cracked crabs...

:beer:

@Volsung.
You just pick an item and drag it over another item in the inventory. If they fit a new item appears. In the example with the lockpicks a hammer and nails result in normal lockpicks. In the process the nails disappear and the hammer is still in the inventory (as you would expect)... ;)

So, when is it coming out on GOG, anyway?

Who knows...when they decide they've lost enough to Steam, maybe? Yeah, I'd definitely consider 5+ days to be more than "a few days" (which may have just been wishful thinking on GOG's part to begin with). What ever the case, they still don't seem to be handling this very well : / .

Last edited:
Top Bottom