Combat system

+
I'm not really a fan of Body stat having influence on combat. If any, in hand to hand combat bigger dudes should be more resilient, but also slower, thus their punches/kicks, should be less powerful. And let's not forget about bigger stamina cost.

There's no reason at all a big person can't be fast. Most people just assume big=slow, small=fast, and I know LOTS of small slow people and a fair number of big fast ones. While a larger persons punch/kick MAY do more damage due to their greater mass a smaller person with training will do a LOT more damage. What possible effect does body size have on stamina cost? Or do you think Mr 980# blob of fat has more stamina then Mr 98# Marathon runner?

There's no reason at all a big person can't be fast. Most people just assume big=slow, small=fast, and I know LOTS of small slow people and a fair number of big fast ones. While a larger persons punch/kick MAY do more damage due to their greater mass a smaller person with training will do a LOT more damage. What possible effect does body size have on stamina cost? Or do you think Mr 980# blob of fat has more stamina then Mr 98# Marathon runner?

True, taller mean longer legs too, so a step will be longer if you're tall than if you're small.
That's why most athletes are really tall.

Yes, thats why I wrote slower, not slow.

Bigger muscle size, bigger demand for oxygen -> you get tired faster.

Also bigger lungs and heart that can absorb and distribute more in the same time. Big people don't really get tired more quickly if they are of the same fitness.

Also bigger lungs and heart that can absorb and distribute more in the same time. Big people don't really get tired more quickly if they are of the same fitness.

When your muscle mass expand, your lungs doesn't grow with them, but demand for oxygen is.

When your muscle mass expand, your lungs doesn't grow with them, but demand for oxygen is.

I have to disagree.
When I was younger I ran 3 miles in 18min 10sec (and I was smoking 20-30 ciggs a day at the time) and ran a Marathon (ONCE!). At the time I was 6' 2" 165#. Certainly not the Incredible Hulk but definitely on the large end of the scale (especially for a female - don't even ask how much trouble I have finding jeans that fit). 18min 10sec is in the top 3-5% (male, top 2-3% female), if we go by your logic it should have been impossible because my heart and lungs could never have kept up with the demands of my body.

Body mass/size is totally irrelevant to stamina, it's dependent on fitness (and on rare occasions genetic quirks).

Last edited:
Body mass/size is totally irrelevant to stamina, it's dependent on fitness (and on rare occasions genetic quirks).

Look at the very top-rank marathoners. Bicyclists. Long-distance skiers. Any serious, serious endurance sport. Triathlons.

Body mass absolutely limits endurance. Eventually.

On the other hand, the whole "big guys are slower" thing, that's been disproved by many, many heavyweight champion boxers. And the big MMA guys. Their endurance on the long haul may be less than an equally fit person of smaller stature, (Ali will never catch Wilson Kipsang on the 10k), but Muhammed Ali was juuuust as fast as anyone 30 pounds lighter than him. Faster. Guy was crazy quick.

Fast-twitch muscle fibres work differently than slow twitch muscle fibres and an extra fifty pounds doesn't seem to matter that much to them. Ali, Feodr, lots other big guys have been quicker than their smaller opponents.

That said, the far extremes of size and bulk - Andre the Giant vs Aditya Dev, world's smallest bodybuilder..sure, I guess Aditya could maybe outrun Andre? I have no idea.

The Body Type Modifier is a bit much at the upper end. It means you can take repeated 9mm hits, reliably. Muscle mass shouldn't determine that and, as a consequence, we never figured it did. BOD and Body Type Modifier also measure your toughness, your stamina, your resistance to pain. Terminator had a high BTM, ( SDP, really, but I digress) but Mad Max would be as high or higher. Guy just wouldn't die.

Problem was the lift values were -also- based on your Body stat and that meant every Tough Guy also has to be a Strong Guy. Bit of a fail, there.

Body mass absolutely limits endurance. Eventually.

I think any number of SEALs, SAS, GSG 9, and CSOR folks would disagree with you.
While most of those guys are average height and weight (for a near Olympic caliber athlete) plenty are bigger and bulkier then average.

Everything else being equal, the smaller person will have a speed advantage.

E.g. Look at heavyweight boxers vs. the lower weight divisions. Don't just pick out one exceptional guy e.g. Ali, Tyson, et al. , but in general.

Or at least take the best out of their divisions and not Ali vs. some random boxer.

E.g. more like Ali vs. Sugar Ray Robinson.

Last edited:
Well, not to nitpick, but I did qualify Ali being as fast or faster than anyone 30 lbs lighter. Ray was, what, 150 lb? Ali was 200? At that range, Ray probably was faster. Almost certainly, in fact. Sugar Ray Robinson was arguably the greatest boxer of all time.

....even faster than guys 120 lbs. Or 100 lbs. You know, smaller guys than him. Sugar Ray Robinson was faster than guys much smaller than him. Because size, although it has limits on the upper and lower ends, doesn't matter -that- much for most of the range.

Some random boxer doesn't become Heavyweight Champ or even a ranking contender.
But again we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
On the other hand, the whole "big guys are slower" thing, that's been disproved by many, many heavyweight champion boxers. And the big MMA guys. Their endurance on the long haul may be less than an equally fit person of smaller stature, (Ali will never catch Wilson Kipsang on the 10k), but Muhammed Ali was juuuust as fast as anyone 30 pounds lighter than him. Faster. Guy was crazy quick.

I have a feeling, that you deals with absolute here (mandatory Star Wars refrense).

Yes, Ali was crazy fast, also Mike in his prime. But smaller guys are able to be even faster. Both mentioned boxers and this Wing Chun guy are crazy good, and way above average. Of course I'm making generalization to a certain extent, but thats the trend. And just to be clear "big" guy can be very fast, but not as fast as "small" dude.

Last edited:
And just to be clear "big" guy can be very fast, but not as fast as "small" dude.

Well, see, that's the statement I have issue with. No one has ever proved it. I can say, with evidence, that big guys can be faster than small guys. Sugar Ray Robinson, Mike Tyson, Ali, so forth. Because they are smaller than guys faster than them.

So some of the time, with evidence, bigger men are much faster than smaller men. But that big guys are always slower than some small guy somewhere?

Can you prove that a "big" guy can't be as fast as a "small" guy? How do you prove that limitation? And how do you set it in a game like Cyberpunk 2020 or 2077?

It's an easy statement to make, but it is so all-encompassing, it's also highly unlikely to be accurate.

Edit: and just to clarify, I want you to be right. It makes sense to me and it annoys me you can be 220 pounds and crazy quick. I also like playing smaller, quick dudes. So to be a titan who is also Tyson-fast?Seems unfair. But that's life, sometimes.

@Sardukhar

As your examples you give me best of the best. I did the same in smaller version. In my opinion my smaller dude is faster than guys mentioned by you.

There's plenty of big guys faster than average small dude. But if we speaking about persons which are equally fit, then yes with nice spoon of generalisation, I can say small is faster than big.

Do I have any proper statistical proof to back up my statement? Of course not. We both don't have any.
I'm just saying how things are in my opinion.

As for ingame use of such correlation, I would get rid of such completely. It's cyberpunk, you can have body of 19 yo model and use heavy sniper rifle from standing position with right modification.

Hope for Cyberpunk

What I really wish to see is an updated imagining of Interlock combat, much like we saw in The Matrix Online. The skill trees/combat style played so well together, and all of the dice rolls were seen, and you knew exactly what stats were effecting what rolls and why, all while keeping very tied to the action on screen. I have to say it was really well done. It felt smart, but impactful, and not too far removed from action. I really hope this isn't an action/shooter with rpg elements. I want more from a combat system. One can hope.

As for ingame use of such correlation, I would get rid of such completely. It's cyberpunk, you can have body of 19 yo model and use heavy sniper rifle from standing position with right modification.

Well, Cp2020 is grounded in reality, so I would hope that you -need- such modification to use that rifle. Did we settle whether or not we hope that your stats influence your physical appearance in-game? I know Dragon was adamantly against it, because she hates freedom and democracy, but I don't remember if consensus was that you should just pick how you look during char creation or if your looks should be directly impacted by stats and cyber.

It felt smart, but impactful, and not too far removed from action. I really hope this isn't an action/shooter with rpg elements. I want more from a combat system. One can hope.

I don't think I played Matrix Online for more than an hour or two.

I think whether it's a shooter with RPG elements or an RPG with shooter elements is going to depend on your definition of those terms. CDPR has defined their direction as an RPG. So there's that.

I know Dragon was adamantly against it, because she hates freedom and democracy, but I don't remember if consensus was that you should just pick how you look during char creation or if your looks should be directly impacted by stats and cyber.

Nonsense. I was (and still am) adamantly against it because I value freedom and refuse to be bound by such trivial and meaningless constrainst such as "reality" and "science". And because I want to play as a petite blonde with really, really high STR stats and big hair. And I think the consensus was that I should get what I want, regardless of it not being the majority view on the topic, because draconic temper tantrum.

??

Orrr.....

ORRRR

MAD DRAGONBIRD.

Last edited:
Top Bottom