Shadowrun

+
Shadowrun

I can think of no other company that could bring both Cyberpunk, Shadowrun, Battletech, & MechWarrior to life than Cd Projekt Red! Microsoft thoroughly screwed up Shadowrun for the Xbox 360. I'd love to see this on the Xbox One made by CD Projekt RED.

Forum veteran
Wasn't a new Shadowrun game released not too long ago that lots of people had good things to say about?

Yupp, Shadowrun Returns (2013) and GOG sells it. It's not great, but solid. The atmo is good, the battle system entertaining.

Try it.

Let's face it, Shadowrun is no more/less then an attempt use a D&D type system to cash in on Cyberpunk.
Shadowrun Returns is quite good at what it does and lots of fun. But don't expect the same "grit" you would in Cyberpunk 2020/2077.

Let's face it, Shadowrun is no more/less then an attempt use a D&D type system to cash in on Cyberpunk.
Shadowrun Returns is quite good at what it does and lots of fun. But don't expect the same "grit" you would in Cyberpunk 2020/2077.

This.
Shadowrun is the "my little pony" of cyberpunk.
If CDPR do their job right, the athmosphere will be nothing close to what Shadowrun is, here we're gonna have a pure-breed cyberpunk ride, staying grounded in reality.
I liked Shadowrun Return tho, but I'd prefer CDPR to work as hard they can on their "Cyberpunk" licence, no need to add fairy tales stuff when it's already so good like this.

This.
Shadowrun is the "my little pony" of cyberpunk.
If CDPR do their job right, the athmosphere will be nothing close to what Shadowrun is, here we're gonna have a pure-breed cyberpunk ride, staying grounded in reality.
I liked Shadowrun Return tho, but I'd prefer CDPR to work as hard they can on their "Cyberpunk" licence, no need to add fairy tales stuff when it's already so good like this.

You don't mean...?

Still playing Returns, the Deep One UGC campaign to be exact. That one is pretty great. Also recently got Dragonfall on a sale that is currently going on in GOG. I really love the combat and the atmosphere. I think Shadowrun can be quite gritty if you want: you can make stories in which you pervert the perception you have of these fairytale creatures, how magic interacts with the more cyberpunk elements (an "aztec" inspired corporation that does blood magic with all this aztec parafernalia in corporate facilities sounds fucking cool). Still, It can be a problem with Shadowrun and all the suspension of disbelief thing which is through the roof (although Returns is rather convincing). The "happier" and more magical aspects I imagine can also bring more people around the table and make them feel comfortable. I try to imagine a CP2020/77 setting in my country and it gets all political, I don't know if I could do that with PnP players.

I try to imagine a CP2020/77 setting in my country and it gets all political, I don't know if I could do that with PnP players.

Depend how you make the political thing to attract them, I'd say the lack of "hard background" in Cyberpunk help to being able to do stuff more freely than Shadowrun who have everything planned so you're some kind of "trapped" in the universe of the book.
In cyberpunk 2020 you can adapt the setting of your game to almost whatever book you want, and about your political view, it's up to your player to use their imagination.

I have currently dropped this game (Shadowrun returns).

First of all it have very simple and logical (but not so flexible) leveling system, which is nice. Generally whole setting is quite easy to get in to (cyberpunk, with magic and elfs!). A little bit too easy too be honest. I'm pretty sure game doesn't do justice to pnp system it originated from (and I never played it). Maybe dev team was afraid to dive a little deeper for obvious reasons. The graphics and art style are surprisingly quite good actually. The combat... damn so god damn boring, easy and simple (again). But biggest disappointment was story and characters, the very meet of any and every RPG INHO. The plot is a blend of well know and very overused cyberpunk clichés (revenge, murder investigation). The characters are walking stereotypes. I'm corrupt cop, I'm angry girl with a past, I have to revenge my fallen comrade. Borinnnnnnnng.

And not so related question, BTL and braindance are pretty much the same thing, right?

I have currently dropped this game (Shadowrun returns).

First of all it have very s The characters are walking stereotypes. I'm corrupt cop, I'm angry girl with a past, I have to revenge my fallen comrade. Borinnnnnnnng.

And not so related question, BTL and braindance are pretty much the same thing, right?

Yep.

Check out DragonFall - it was much better. More open, less cliched story. Set the Diff to Hardest, of course. Always the rule.

I've currently dropped it, too, Nars, for many of the same reasons, but I did enjoy it, despite the simplified combat. Probably because I loved the PnP.

There are also a host of user made levels and stories for it now. I've enjoyed a few - Deep Ones, for example.

YCheck out DragonFall - it was much better. More open, less cliched story.

Have to agree here, Dragonfall and some of the UGC is really getting much better. Fun little game considering it was only a couple hundred grand to make.

I think of Dragonfall as their apology for what came with the release.
100 times better.

We’re excited to announce Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director’s Cut. Inspired by other passionate, community-focused developers like CD Projekt RED (who continued to improve and add to their Witcher titles post-launch), we decided to make an even bigger & better Dragonfall for you guys. The Shadowrun team has been hard at work taking the existing Dragonfall campaign and making it even better - adding new features, missions, art, and more.

And we’ll be releasing it as a standalone title on Steam, GOG and the Humble Store.

What’s more, as a continued “thank you” for your support, the Director’s Cut will be FREE to all Backers and to all owners of the expansion version of Dragonfall. If you’ve played Dragonfall already, this should be a great opportunity to return to the streets of Berlin and enjoy the improved campaign all over again - to try a new archetype and make different decisions. And if you haven’t played Dragonfall yet, this will be the definitive version of the game to dive into.

We’ll be talking more about the specifics later next month - but we wanted you, our Backers, to be the first to know what we’re working on. The Director’s Cut will be released sometime in September.

Stay tuned for a full announcement in August. Until then - from the entire Shadowrun team - thank you again for your continued support, and for your help making Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall a reality.

Haven't even had the time to play Dragonfall. Nice to hear/read I'll be getting it for free as an owner of the regular version. I would have liked better a DLC/Campaign with a new setting. Tenochtitlan sounds like an interesting setting for a new campaign. Hope they do it at some point.

Haven't even had the time to play Dragonfall. Nice to hear/read I'll be getting it for free as an owner of the regular version. I would have liked better a DLC/Campaign with a new setting. Tenochtitlan sounds like an interesting setting for a new campaign. Hope they do it at some point.

ONLY owners of the current version of Dragonfall get the free update, not those that only own the basic game.

ONLY owners of the current version of Dragonfall get the free update, not those that only own the basic game.

No, I own it. I bought it some time after the base game on GOG. It appears as a DLC in the store, but then it's integrated into my collection. I have to choose it in a similar fashion to how you choose an installer for a different language and it shows a label over Shadowrun Returns that says +1 DLC or something like that.

Yes indeed! And I'm still playing SRR, too. Lots of user made mods for those who want a turn-based Cyber-fix.

Top Bottom