The Yennefer/Triss choice in TW3

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the confrontation in Lady of the Lake had also a lot to do with Triss choosing Lodge politics over their friendship, and allowing Geralt to believe she (Yenn) had betrayed him. As she says, that´s not something he´s going to forgive.

I think the confrontation in Lady of the Lake had also a lot to do with Triss choosing Lodge politics over their friendship, and allowing Geralt to believe she (Yenn) had betrayed him. As she says, that´s not something he´s going to forgive.

Triss saw Geralt in Brokilon forest for the last time before Vilgefortz's fall, right after she teleported him there. At that point she had no idea about Yennefer's actions, since she supported Phillipa and not Tissaia de Vries. :)

Yen have heart hidden deep behind her mask. Once even said thanks to Dandelion. Sure with Triss it isn't the same. But I expected she won't kill Triss on spot where meet her again. Maybe they will return to the previous state, maybe not, or they will be better friends. We shall see. I realy wounder how devs will challenge Yen character. I don't want to see amnesia as way to patching her personality. This could be found as crime, as it is last of Geralt story.

Triss seems being afraid to losing Geralt. This shard of ice have very sharpened edges through W1 and W2. If they decided to put it to proper motion this will be finest drama that game world ever seen. I hope i'm wrong as Jarre with his looking by analogy ;).

Triss saw Geralt in Brokilon forest for the last time before Vilgefortz's fall, right after she teleported him there. At that point she had no idea about Yennefer's actions, since she supported Phillipa and not Tissaia de Vries. :)

I mean later, when Yenn contacted the Lodge just before seeking out Vilgefortz and asked them to tell Geralt the truth, and they refused as they´d rather have him him depressed than vengeful. Yenn especifically asks Triss then, and she refuses. I´d say their friendship end there and then, and Geralt wouldn´t be too happy with Triss if he learnt that, I hope this is adressed, and also how she´s been taking advantage of his amnesia.

Also wonder if she already knew what had happened before the games started, she did ask the witchers to go after the WH back in TW1.

how she´s (Triss) been taking advantage of his amnesia.
I beg the differ. Triss has saved Geralt several times and sheltered him, when he had amnesia and did not have much to offer except being a confused burden.
She was the one who as Lambert mentions in Witcher 1 forced Vesemir, and Eskel to follow the hunt, and so they found Geralt half dead. And it was she whom healed him afterwards
Triss saved, healed, and sheltered Geralt when he was defeated by Azar Javed and the professor.
Triss introduced Geralt to major political players such as Thaler.
Triss did not tell Foltest that the assassin was a Witcher in order to protect Geralt.
Because of Geralt's mistake Foltest got assassinated, and consequently Triss lost her status as one of the prominent political figures because she did not hide her relationship with Geralt. She also lost her house and her reputation as a result, and people called her King slayer's whore.
Triss risked her life and put up a barrier to protect Geralt from arrows instead of just protecting herself.
In the Elven baths Triss told Geralt that she would forget about everything and would leave everything behind to have a quiet life with Geralt.
And ...
Also the attraction between Triss and Geralt was mutual, even when Geralt did not have amnesia. Geralt never explicitly discouraged Triss from pursuing a relationship with him before the amnesia, and he had sex with her multiple times even when Yen was around.

Adding to what @shawn_kh has said..

Triss followed Geralt to Flotsam, to help him catch the Kingslayer, not only because she had nowhere else to go, but because she was scared for him. She knew that the Lodge had plans of assassinating Kings, and she was afraid that the Sorceresses might be behind them.

Her fears came true when she met Sile in Flotsam, and she tried to protect Geralt from her. She even told him to not go hunting the Kayran with Sile. She was just misinformed at the time.

Now at the Elven Baths, things can play out differently, but she can actually say that if Geralt wants to go after Yennefer, she will follow him and help him. It's her debt to her best friend and the witcher. The debt for her previous actions, that she feels she won't ever repay.

I agree with @Nerevar-as as well, but only partly. I only disagree with the part about Yennefer's and Triss' friendship.

Triss was and still is a very young Sorceress, with very little influence in the Lodge or anywhere else for that matter. She also has a fear issue. She ran away in Sodden after Yennefer lost her eyes, she almost ran away in Rivia during the Pogrom, and she certainly would not openly oppose the Lodge.

But she did oppose the Lodge, both in the books and in the games. And she did not flee in Rivia.

She has some issues, as does everyone, and I don't think her friendship with Yennefer will break. It might cool off a little bit, especially since Triss is at this moment "with" Geralt, and Yennefer is quite touchy about the subject. But it will not break. Both Sorceresses value that friendship too much.

She didn't run away from Sodden. She was wounded in the same battle, badly enough that she couldn't have even walked away had she wanted, and was in fact believed dead.

Last edited:
Geralt wouldn't have made it out of the first act in TW1 without her. The fact she protected him in regard to the assassination and subsequently flushed her reputation down the toilet in TW2 sealed the deal for me. Then she proceeds to save his ass in Flotsam, help identify the Kayran's weakness, get blasted by Letho, warn him about Sile (although she wasn't totally honest here) compressed into a statue and then captured by the Nilgaardians.

Last edited:
She didn't run away from Sodden. She was wounded in the same battle, badly enough that she couldn't have even walked away had she wanted, and was in fact believed dead.

I can't remember where exactly it is written, but I think that Yennefer argued with Triss about Sodden. Triss apologized for leaving Yennefer alone, right when she was blinded. She was forced to flee if you will. But she did in fact fought and got wounded. I'm not entirely sure about this fact, but I swear I remember something of the like.

agree completely finally someone who understands this

What? did you really read what @StaGiors wrote? Exactly the same but with his own preference to Yen. And so many of others posters in hundreds posts. The difference is that he he says Yen instead Triss.

The fact to change the name of the possible chosen woman don't mean they (us) don't understand those who could chose Triss.

98% of followers want a good and coherent choice, the more complicate the more welcome. Because a lot of us, over one or other woman, we want enjoy the grey and not cleary easy decisions for Geralt... Even we dream of a plot where any decision taken by Geralt not linked with any of both women should aim us to one or another unconciously, subtly, as CDPR say the secondaries and tertiaries plots will have surprising impacts which can affect or not themain plot....

So, NO, #TrisssTeam, not all the followers of Yennefer don't understand this you're argue. ;)

Last edited:
I can't remember where exactly it is written, but I think that Yennefer argued with Triss about Sodden. Triss apologized for leaving Yennefer alone, right when she was blinded. She was forced to flee if you will. But she did in fact fought and got wounded. I'm not entirely sure about this fact, but I swear I remember something of the like.

No, that wasn't it:

Another man rushed at her brandishing an axe. Yennefer shot flames into his face, his eyeballs boiled and them burst, running down his cheeks with a hiss. She relaxed, Someone grabbed her by the arm, and Yennefer pulled ready to shoot, but it was Triss.

'Let's go … Yenna … Run!'

I've already heard that voice, Yennefer thought. From those lips that look wooden, without a droplet of saliva to wet them. From those lips that are paralysed with terror and shake with panic. I've already heard that voice. On the Hill at Sodden. When I was dying in fear. Now he is dying in fear. Until the end of my days I'm going to be scared to death. Because those who do not break the cowardice, will be scared to death until the end of their days.

The fingers that Triss dug into her arm were like steel, Yennefer liberated herself from the grip with a great effort.

'Run if you want!' she shouted. 'Hide under the skirts of the Lodge! I have to nothing left to defend! I will not leave Ciri alone! Or Geralt! Begone! Get out of my way if you appreciate your skin!'

What she recalls is hearing Triss arguing for retreat, as she is here, after the mages at Sodden took a hit and Yen went down, blinded and dying. Given what we know happened, it's hard to say Triss was wrong. Presumably, Yen wasn't the only one injured in the attack that blinded her. We also know Triss stayed, because all the other mages were killed and Triss was severely wounded and believed dead because no one recognized her (she'd lost all her hair, so probably fire was involved). Also worth noting is that Yen is berating herself for cowardice here as much as she is Triss (which is reinforced by the flashback to Yen's suicide attempt as a teen that follows).

Oh right that's what I was looking for.

As I recall, Yennefer was blinded by Fringilla Vigo, because as Fringilla said later, Yennefer had just killed a Nilfgaardian mage, and Fringilla's friend. I don't think it was some crazy attack that hurt lot's of magicians. That being said, lot's of magicians were hurt or killed during the course of the Battle.

Not all of the mages were killed though. We do not know how many mages took part in the fight, but Vilgefortz was one, and he was not killed.

I have this feeling though, that Triss felt really bad about retreating that day, regardless if she was right. Maybe she said something on the way to Ellander while she was sick, during her sleep. Maybe on her monologues, during her trip to Kaer Mohren. Maybe it's just my imagination. What I'm saying is, that Triss has some regrets about that day, regarding Yennefer.

Anyway, my point on the first post was, that both Yennefer and Triss realize, that the Redhead is dealing with a "fear" issue. She has managed to overcome it in the past, but I believe it is still there. It could play an important role in TW3, under circumstances. However I hope CDPR shows that Triss is able to overcome her fear, even under heavy pressure. I'd like to see that conflict in her mind I mean.

It is even more interesting now, that she is presumably free of the Lodge's influence. She could turn out to be quite a character, able to influence important events. Or she might go back to the Lodge, depending on how things turn out. Really there are so many possibilities with her character. Of course all of that will be intertwined with Yennefer's actions as well as Geralt's.

Geralt wouldn't have made it out of the first act in TW1 without her. The fact she protected him in regard to the assassination and subsequently flushed her reputation down the toilet in TW2 sealed the deal for me. Then she proceeds to save his ass in Flotsam, help identify the Kayran's weakness, get blasted by Letho, warn him about Sile (although she wasn't totally honest here) compressed into a statue and then captured by the Nilgaardians.
Triss kept warning Geralt about Sile' and Letho, but Geralt's arrogance and stubbornness blinded him from seeing that she was trying to help and protect him. He was not prepared to fight Letho, but instead of making preparations and making wise choices he arrogantly pursued Letho and believed that he could easily defeat him. Because of his arrogance, Triss had to make a rash and unwise decision to rush and take the matter into her own hands in order to protect Geralt from Sile' and Letho, and as a result she got blasted, kidnapped, and later turned into a statue and in the process Cedric lost his life.
Triss wasn't completely honest with Geralt about the Lodge and their involvement, because of Geralt's arrogance and carelessness. If she had told Geralt about the lodge, then he would arrogantly fight Sile' and as we all know Sile' is much more powerful than Letho. He was not even strong enough to defeat Letho at that point and time, so Sile' would have turned him into ashes at the spot.
At the end of all this Triss lost her influential political status and her house because of Geralt's mistake, she was called King slayer's whore and had her reputation ruined because she did not hide her relationship with Geralt and tried to protect him, she almost died by protecting Geralt from arrows, she got blasted, kidnapped, turned into statue, and tortured because of Geralt's arrogance and carelessness, and yet she still loved and cared for Geralt at the end.
This is called unconditional love and loyalty, and it is very valuable.

Triss kept warning Geralt about Sile' and Letho, but Geralt's arrogance and stubbornness blinded him from seeing that she was trying to help and protect him. He was not prepared to fight Letho, but instead of making preparations and making wise choices he arrogantly pursued Letho and believed that he could easily defeat him. Because of his arrogance, Triss had to make a rash and unwise decision to rush and take the matter into her own hands in order to protect Geralt from Sile' and Letho, and as a result she got blasted, kidnapped, and later turned into a statue and in the process Cedric lost his life.
Triss wasn't completely honest with Geralt about the Lodge and their involvement, because of Geralt's arrogance and carelessness. If she had told Geralt about the lodge, then he would arrogantly fight Sile' and as we all know Sile' is much more powerful than Letho. He was not even strong enough to defeat Letho at that point and time, so Sile' would have turned him into ashes at the spot.
At the end of all this Triss lost her influential political status and her house because of Geralt's mistake, she was called King slayer's whore and had her reputation ruined because she did not hide her relationship with Geralt and tried to protect him, she almost died by protecting Geralt from arrows, she got blasted, kidnapped, turned into statue, and tortured because of Geralt's arrogance and carelessness, and yet she still loved and cared for Geralt at the end.
This is called unconditional love and loyalty, and it is very valuable.

wow I'm already Team Triss but this made me appreciate her even more !!

Why is everyone so arrogant to assume that Yen and Triss will be the witcher choice? Maybe there will be a third or fourth woman in the game.

Maybe Geralt decides that he just loves the game so much and continues on being a playa :p

Why is everyone so arrogant to assume that Yen and Triss will be the witcher choice? Maybe there will be a third or fourth woman in the game.

Maybe Geralt decides that he just loves the game so much and continues on being a playa :p

I think we're many of us guilty of assuming that it will be a choice, like sending Alvin to Triss or Shani was in TW1. Given CDPR's intentional use of delayed and unexpected consequences for seemingly unrelated decisions as a dramatic device, a Geralt+Triss or Geralt+Yennefer outcome may well be a consequence of some choice we didn't think would bear on these possibilities.

You know I've been thinking,
What if Triss or Yen do not want to be with Geralt any more ?
Maybe Yen has fallen in love with some one else since she also had amnesia. Maybe Triss has gotten tired of being Geralt's second choice. Is Shani going to be in the Witcher 3 ? Is she still interested in Geralt ? Are there other datable characters ?
There are many possibilities.

I don't think the developer would deny us a happy ending with Triss or Yennefer by not giving us at least the chance to come together with one of them. I think there is at least a chance Shani will be in TW3. The last thing we know about her (codex entry in witcher 2), she went back to Oxenfurt and we will visit Oxenfurt if i'm not wrong. But I don't think we will be able to romance her (maybe just a sex scene, but not a real romance like in Tw1)
As for other characters. My guess ist on Fringilla Vigo. Geralt had a months-long romance with her. She is/was a member of the lodge and knows Yennefer and Triss and with Assire being dead after Witcher 2, she is the only left Nilfgardiaan Sorceress we know. I think there is a high chance she will appear in Witcher 3.

You know why Assire died, right? For being a Lodge member (i.e. acting in the interests of an entity other than the Empire). Don't count on Fringilla Vigo. still being alive.

ETA:

There was also this line:

To my deepest regret, two Nilfgaardian sorceresses, Assire var Anahid and Fringilla Vigo, were also members. The Emperor will deal with them accordingly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom