CTD on area load (and sometimes on cutscene load) 1.3 only

+
CTD on area load (and sometimes on cutscene load) 1.3 only

Hello :)Last year when I was playing on 1.1 and then 1.2, I never had a single crash playing the game from start till end for hours, but since I reinstalled last week and patched directly to 1.3 (1.0-1.3) the game keeps crashing on area loading or sometimes on cutscene loading. This happens both for the new module and for the main game.Basically I can't run the game for longer than an hour or two without it crashing on me out of nowhere. The crashes are also a lot more common if the area being loaded is followed immediately by an autosave.The CTD is a black screen when the game is supposed to show the new area / auto save / show cutscene and the WinXPPro SP3 drwatson screen comes up saying its encountered an unexpected error.Right now I'm thinking of rolling back to 1.2 to enjoy a crash-free game experience....My system's main specs (laptop):Intel Duo Core 2 2.16GHz2048 MB DDR2 RAM256 MB NVidia Geforce Go 7800 GS with newest recommended drivers from Dell (which are about a year old but the "best" drivers for this particular card, as newer drivers can mess it up)Also have a lot of free drive space and no problem with sound except for the horrid thunder bolt sounds each time I load the game or sometimes on entering areas which I also didn#t have in 1.1 or 1.2.Thanks for any help you can offer :)

given the amount of time that has passed between 1.2 and 1.3, I'd say you installed SP3 in between, right?see how the game behaves with patch 1.2, if it's still unstable then maybe SP3 is to blame, if not then stick with 1.2... read the release notes for 1.3, see if you miss something fixed

I've had crashes since SP3 on XP that i did not have before with the 1.3 patch, so i think i can add some evidence that it is not the patch, but SP3's interaction with iti fear we may need a 1.3a patch to deal with SP3 changes

That is indeed a good point actually, it could be SP3 (given how SP2 used to mess things up with old games)Initially I hadn't thought of that given that SP3 was merely a compilation of all kinds of fixes I already had installed, but one never knows!Will try that out as soon as I finish my current campaign (shouldn't take more than a day or two)Thanks :)In the meantime, if anyone else who reads this wishes to try it out or add comments regarding SP3, please do! :)

Top Bottom