Animations

+
Ok, I'll try to give you the best possible comparison. I'm currently downloading the demo again because I deleted it like an idiot, I'll gather proofs as soon as the download has finished!

I think you are talking about the clip with the wraiths, maybe that part of the world just had more grass. I don't see the big deal.. it looks fucking awesome.

A quick comparison on the quality degradation of vegetation. Grass in this particular case.

I'll show you two screenshots of the SoD trailer, followed by two screens of the latest Downwarren teaser. So let's start:

SoD trailer grass:
http://i.imgur.com/a5qFBKZ.png
http://i.imgur.com/7XLzYJy.jpg

Here, you can see how much detailed the grass is. You can clearly distinguish every blade of grass, the edges are well defined, the texture is high quality and overall it's well distributed on the terrain, filling the right spots and leaving the places with soil empty.

Now look at the Downwarren teaser:
http://i.imgur.com/AhtdN7v.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wkyQp3C.jpg

Something has clearly changed: the texture is now low-res, the grass is blurred, the edges jagged. The vegetations distribution has also changed, in the second screen you can see how the right area is filled only by a bunch of tussocks, leaving a lot of "grass terrain" empty.

I hope I have clarified what I meant in my previous posts with this comparison.
I'm a passionate fan of The Witcher series, and I just want this game to be the best of the best, so every detail is equally important in order to make TW3 a title that will be remembered for years.

EDIT: I just realized I've been posting all of this in the animations topic, should I repost everything in a more appropriate one?

Last edited:
I really, really hope CDPR aren't ditching potion/mutagen animation during meditation because people with ADHD couldn't deal with a short animation. I agree it could easily be made shorter so it feels less time consuming, but to outright remove it just feels like a dumbing down.
I just hope it'll either be added before release or that it's missing for the purpose of the demo or something.

Dodge/Evade animations

I saw the new sort of dash animation that replaces the roll from the second game and personally i liked the roll better.In the books witchers used pirrhouettes mostly do dodge so i was thinking they could add them instead of just a plain old dash away.

I'm def glad that the roll is gone, it always looked ridiculous, IMO. There is plenty of pirouetting in the videos we've seen. It doesn't look like he's using it to dodge attacks, just to add force to his attacks though.

Both pirouettes and parry exist in the game, there were in both gameplay videos. We don't know how they work and when Geralt pirouettes and when he dodges thogh

Geralt's movement animations.

Hi all. Firstly sorry for my bad english.

So this is only game i am waiting for. I did not play any of AC unity or Far Cry 4 or any different company games during last 6 month. Simply because they are not interesting for me. Because i didnt feel that these companies care about my entertainment any more. (may be i am wrong but this is my opinion) So Witcher 3 took all my interest and attention on itself. I DID NOT want to talk anything about downgrade.

My question about Geralt's animation while walking and riding.

1st. In early demos and trailers i noticed that Geralt looking around while walking. For example in 35 min demo Geralt turned his head towards NPCs which he walked near by. Or in swamp part he just looked around by turning his head. But in last hands-on gameplay Geralt only looked forward. He did not turn his head. He only turned his head when he was standing still. While standing still 1st he watched back to horse when his horse approach him, 2nd he watched to guardian when he stand in front of them in soldier camp. But when he walked near the soldiers in the camp he didnt turn his face to any of them.
I want to know If Cdproject cancelled this action or what?

2nd. In VGX trailer when Geralt riding his horse he moved his legs and hands to turn horse to right direction. But in last SOD trailer and hands-on gameplay Geralt did not move not legs neither hands.
Soo i want to know what will be in game and what will not.

Offcourse i will know about it when game will release. And it is not big deal. But these little things very importand for me. BECAUSE this tiny things make game soo realistic. This head turning is soo atmospheric. SOO please do not cancell this feature.

I still want to know how the walk/sprint animations will work, my guess is.....it will be like ME SoM and I'm okay with that.
Unless CDPR can pull off even better looking animations than what RDR was trying to do, e.g left stick forward= walk, then hold A/X down on XB/PS= jog, then keep tapping A/X on XB/PS= sprint/run. I think GTAV is like RDR, anyways..... I'm way okay with that system too.
What I'm not okay with, is what they did in their last game TW2 or even what Dragon's Dogma did, which was still better than TW2 because you could move left stick and jog just like Geralt in TW2, but you could then also click left stick down to sprint/run faster. What bothers me about both of these two games and their systems, is.... the the fact that left stick just= jog all the time, and it's only good for jogging. Sure you can walk if you just barely push the left stick forwad, but it fucking sucks. I don't like that at all unless I'm playing a stealth game. ME SoM/RDR/GTAV was cool, because left stick forward just= walk. They also had a stealth walk system in all of those games too, but I doubt Geralt will have anything like that in TW3. Who knows.... Geralt doing stealh kills might be really bad ass! Anyways, I wouldn't mind it if it's done well, and we can also hide and move the dead bodies. Yeah, all animations are very important to me in games, from their looks/style and speed. e.g Walking,Jumping, Running,Climbing,Swiming,Fighiting,NPC's the Horse, Monster AI, Oh...man there is a lot of lttle details to think about and to make perfect, so this game can be as awesome as it gets. ;)

What i know there will not be anything about stealth.(I dont know where and how, but i know))) )

And another thing about bad part of animation are NPCs walking. They are walking like a crazy. There steps are waaaay wide. And there speed are so fast. All NPCs must calm down.

What i know there will not be anything about stealth.(I dont know where and how, but i know))) )

And another thing about bad part of animation are NPCs walking. They are walking like a crazy. There steps are waaaay wide. And there speed are so fast. All NPCs must calm down.

HaaHaaa...word, NPC's need to chillout and relax.
Be one with with the game in a natural more sane kinda way, and lay off the crack rocks and coffee intake. ;)

HaaHaaa...word, NPC's need to chillout and relax.
Be one with with the game in a natural more sane kinda way, and lay off the crack rocks and coffee intake. ;)
Hehe... "These walking animations are completely DESTROYING my immersion!!!!!"

-Too much walking. 7/10 - IGN

There are several walking animations depending on the angle of the ground and what you are doing (combat, not in combat etc..).
Check the january gameplay after Geralt slides down hill, he's walking animation is one which he puts his center of mass back in order not to fall... yes... they thought of everything :]

of course, that's what I noticed so far.. I bet there will be a lot more to uncover when the game comes out.

Come to think of it, all the animations used to look so much better and fluid from the way he moves to how he swings and fights.
:rly?:
And you've come to this conclusion by using one-time context-less 2 second long clips as reference?

There seem to be multiple animations from what I can tell, like the Debut one where Geralt is walking towards the village that's set on fire compared to VGX when he's in the swamp or maybe it is an iteration, I don't know, maybe someone else paid more attention.

Last edited:
I think the running animation needs some work, but The walking and sprinting look decent.
I wish CDPR added transition states between walking, running, and sprinting. Seeing Geralt go from standing still right away to sprinting at full speed is a little off putting for me. His speed should increase over a period of a few second.

I think the running animation needs some work

Dude the running is awesome!!! Now it really gives the feeling that you're sprinting and not just jogging, I think that's a great improvement, but I agree it would be nice if you could run in almost inhuman speed for a small window of time. I wonder if you can flee from any enemy just by running away, or if some actually catch up to you.

Top Bottom