Interviews and Articles Part 2

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no need to bash TES like that, it's in poor taste.

Why not? When i play a game from Bethesda, it's always about shallow quest, boring and bad combat, world which at first looks beatiful but after a while there's nothing new about him, story? characters? menus?.. don't get me started.. it's just my opinion on them.. games from CD Projekt RED, Obsidian, even Bioware are completly something else.. Two Worlds 2 is a much better game than any from Bethesda when it comes to their games from the last 10 years.. but as have i said earlier, it's just my opinion.. i did say the reasons and things which i think are very average, at best, in thier games, so i just not bashing them just because

He does have a point though. And this comming from someone who has clocked well over 1000 hours in Skyrim so far (and another 1000+ in Oblivion and I don't know how many hundred in Morrowind). And I'm still playing it. Bethesda makes game worlds that are packed of stuff to loot, dungeons to delve into and quests to complete. This vast amount of content and modability is what attracts me to their games (I love exploring them and modding them), it isn't their writing which isn't exactly top notch, neither are their characters.

This is not the thread for it but what you say is true but also its just part of the truth. TES is more than that. It's lore is probably the deepest lore in gaming. It's a bit hidden within the games but its depth is there if you look for it.

All cis gender shotgun do is write passive aggressive articles about this game, looks like they didn't get BTFO hard enough, maybe in the next interview

Jupiter_on_Mars

All cis gender shotgun do is write passive aggressive articles about this game, looks like they didn't get BTFO hard enough, maybe in the next interview

Well, I'm sure a lot of adjectives could be pinned on your remarks about the Rock, Paper and Shotgun article as well. The article is well written and concerns expressed there seem at least reasonable.

I have a question for you:

REDS say they want to get away from fetch quests, also known as Fedex quests or Taxi quests. In essence, structurally, what is the difference between favour quests like killing the griffin and bringing in the head as trophy, getting Johnny his voice back, etc., and said fetch quests?

Last edited:
How would I know what they mean by it.

They probably mean of Skyrim awful generated quests where they make you fast travel all across the map for absolutely nothing, to talk to a guy or retrieve someones ring or something.

The quests here seemed to be clustered, Johny's voice was pretty close to where he lived, and the swamp village was a bit of walking but it was close as well.

And it didn't involve you going into a copy-paste linear cave for every quest to kill a bunch of draugrs, retrieve some item and then come back out through a conveniently placed trapdoor at the back.

The quests here seemed to be clustered, Johny's voice was pretty close to where he lived, and the swamp village was a bit of walking but it was close as well.
I have to agree with you here, I've noticed this in the teaser gameplay as well. Then again, it's a game, it has to remain fun, so it can't involve endless wandering. But, I remember from E3 that at one point you'd have to take a 15-20-minute-long road if you'd choose not to fast-travel...so there's that.

PS: still puzzled by the fact that there's an exclamation mark on your minimap making the witcher-senses completely redundant.

Last edited:
REDS say they want to get away from fetch quests, also known as Fedex quests or Taxi quests. In essence, structurally, what is the difference between favour quests like killing the griffin and bringing in the head as trophy, getting Johnny his voice back, etc., and said fetch quests?
Every quest ever chreated can be boild down as the fetch quest, because it´s always about going somewhere, search for something or killing something. It´s story behind all that what makes it interesting and btw Planescape: Torment which is considered the best RPG ever made is riddled with NOTHING but fetch quests.

I have to agree with you here, I've noticed this in the teaser gameplay as well. Then again, it's a game, it has to remain fun, so it can't involve endless wandering. But, I remember from E3 that at one point you'd have to take a 15-20-minute-long road if you'd choose not to fast-travel...so there's that.

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. With the open world structure I expected semi-realistic distance between things, Like I expected to chase monsters hard down to some isolated place, and not the monsters to be right next to a village. Not sure if this is good or bad but I would preffer and I expected for things to be futher away from each other so you can enjoy the traveling.

Jupiter_on_Mars

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. With the open world structure I expected semi-realistic distance between things, Like I expected to chase monsters hard down to some isolated place, and not the monsters to be right next to a village. Not sure if this is good or bad but I would preffer and I expected for things to be futher away from each other so you can enjoy the traveling.

I agree. But I remain hopeful since lead designer specifically said they came up with a system where such distances remain consistent and realistic. So perhaps that creature is one of those non harmful monsters they spoke of in the latest Dev diary. Anyway I'd imagine a forsaken swampy area to be fairly dangerous and infested with unpleasant creatures.

Every quest ever chreated can be boild down as the fetch quest, because it´s always about going somewhere, search for something or killing something. It´s story behind all that what makes it interesting and btw Planescape: Torment which is considered the best RPG ever made is riddled with NOTHING but fetch quests.

Not sure I'd agree with your assessment that every single quest ever created can be boiled down to fetching someone or something and returning it in. The point of that rhetorical question was the language used to describe TW3 has occasionally been vague and imprecise. Therefore, much like the RPS author, it is entirely reasonable to express concerns. Based on TW2 and what I've seen so far I have no doubt TW3 quests will be vastly superior to those of that which cannot be named.

On another note, just posted:

[video=youtube;o4XkjP-D9bA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4XkjP-D9bA[/video]

for those who speak German:

Last edited:
How will this even fit into the universe...It's such a corporate move, they plan to put the card game of their design in TW3 then make money selling physical decks. A card game based on magic the gathering? Why would nations at war and medieval peasants be interested in 21 century nerd stuff. Just..

Microsoft have paid for a physical version of the card game to be produced alongside The Witcher 3’s Xbox One special edition, made up of over 150 cards. There’s currently no other way to buy it.

"Gwent is an amazing game and we're really happy to be able to bring it to the physical realm with Microsoft's help," said CD Projekt RED co-founder Marcin Iwiñski. "Now we've got Gwent in every copy of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt as an in-game experience for free on every platform, and a physical version in the Xbox One CE, how awesome is that?"

"Gwent is a fast-paced card game that can be played within The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on every platform," added the studio. "Invented by dwarves and perfected over centuries of tavern table play, Gwent is a game of initial simplicity and ultimate depth, something beloved by both road-weary travelers during long nights around the campfire and elegant nobles looking to liven up dragging dinner parties.

"The game is about the clash of two armies locked in mortal struggle on a battlefield where the players are the leaders and the cards their forces. With four different factions offering unique combat styles and endless paths to victory, Gwent is every adventurer’s first choice when it comes to one-on-one card-based dueling. Take risks and think on your feet, strategize and deliver cunning combos, use potent magic and mighty hero cards and be the last one standing on the field of honor!"

View attachment 5323
I should say I kind of understand where they're coming from; the Xbone edition is the only one available in a lot of places so they're trying to incentivize sales...but still a bummer they're doing this.
View attachment 5326
Okay, so there's also a cloth map too? Now I'm a bit pissed off, that was the one thing missing I really wanted.

Attachments

• ScreenShot998.jpg
    ScreenShot998.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 46
  • ScreenShot1001.jpg
    ScreenShot1001.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
21 century nerd stuff. Just..

What are you even talking about? It's just a card game. Are you trying to say that people in The Witcher Universe couldn't possibly have thought up of a game like MTG?

It's honestly not completely ridiculous to think. Not to mention that we don't even know how Gwent plays in-game, it might play nothing like MTG.

Real quick about the card game.
Standard card game (playing cards) have existed for over thousand years and dwarves and gnomes are in the Witcher universe (which is an entirely different universe than our own) more advanced than normal men were in medieval time in Europe. A card game is completely plausible, especially when we've also been in contact with a lot of scientific etc. (E.g. Witcher 1) in this universe all ready which indicates that this universe is far more advanced in knowledge than our ancestors were.

Xbox one debacle
While this inherently isn't that big of a deal, I'm questioning if this Xbox exclusive could be CD RED second PR fuck up (The first one was going after pirates with court letters that backfired like burnt cow shit on a hot summer day).

First of all, this won't have any effect in game which is why I won't ridicule CD RED as being complete hypocrites. While it would be a nice to let all people who spend over 100 € on a special edition to actually get their money worth in physical content, (and not treat some consumers better than other) this won't effect anyone's experience with the actual game.

However I'll address two things (I throw in a third just for good measure), one more important than the other.
A: was the promise of treating all consumers equally only related to in game content and if that's the case this was poorly marketed.
B: (My gripe) The statement that "There's so much space we can fill the Premium edition with stuff, with the CE there's no such limit" Yea, except apparently there is. Apparently people who got the CE for PC or P4 either have a smaller CE box or more Amazon (or your equivalent other) air in them.
C: The timing, Ooh the fucking timing. Jeez CD RED! Could you time this reveal any worse? Just recently people freaked out on Tomb Raider 2 being Xbox exclusive (for x amount of time) and how two thirds (or three fourths if you count the Wii) got shorted out because of greed. And you reveal this now?

Not to mention, you reveal a new feature (mini game) in Witcher 3 and then exactly the same day you reveal things related to said prior reveal, which is only being able to one third of your consumer. If people all ready knew about Gwent the card game and then later on the line you've added them solely to Xbox if wouldn't sound as much as a giant punch in the face as it does now.

All in all it just feel shitty (and mindbogglingly stupid). The previous "CE" for the Xbox 360 already got the medallion (where as PC consumer didn't and boy, did we crave for one) and now you pull this arse where you promised both how all consumers are treated equally and how you could go nuts on giving people stuff worth their money on an awesome Collectors edition combined with arguable the worst timing ever to make this reveal.

Personally I don't really care so much in the content but more the business side of view and assuming we can expect more variations with pre-order deals in the future combined with this I'll probably cancel my CE order when Witcher 3 comes closer to release. I'll already bought it anyway on GoG.

Last edited:
Sure listen to microsoft the people who lost 75% of their audience with arrogant marketing

CDPR are providing the same to all, it is Microsoft who are adding a bit more to the package for their platform.
I don't see that as a problem, even though I've preordered the PC CE.

In such cases I always wonder, if it was Sony instead of MS, would it be the same reaction, or at least at the same level?
I'm pretty sure that it won't, people do love to hate on MS. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom