Warlords of Draenor (new WoW xpac)

+
Warlords of Draenor (new WoW xpac)

I'm still on the fence about the next WoW expansion. The cinematic they released today looks good and the updated character models do too.

View attachment 5303

But I am left with a bad taste in my mouth from having played all of MoP and never really loving it. It had some good moments and part's of the story were good. I would say some of the raid bosses in ToT and SoO were a lot of fun too.

What rubbed me the wrong way is how at the start of the xpac every other quest seemed to be about how much panda's love beer and it gives them powers like Popeye gets strength from spinach. A few quests sure, why not? But they were really beating a dead horse with that joke a few days in.

The last raid was rather weak story wise. This is a war against Garrosh and his
'True Orc Horde'
that takes Horde and Alliance through Orgrimmar and there is one boss fight where your faction soldiers actually help, and 2 portions of trash where you might get help from faction soldiers but otherwise they are a non-issue. There is even ripped audio files on youtube that show the racial leaders were supposed to be a bigger part of the raid. Then at the end you are left with a "Join us next expansion to see the exciting conclusion!" style ending.

Garrosh turning on the rest of the Horde never was explained. He always valued Orcs, sure, but he was also written as having a lot of honor and not a one-dimensional 'villain'. Turning on your allies for not being born Orcs never fit well with his character and made him one-dimensional.

Paying $60 for the xpac, and $15 a month for subscription for well over a year and we didn't even get an ending? It's hard not to have mixed feelings about the new expansion given the last one.

But what are other people's thoughts? What excites you for the game/what don't you like from all the information released so far?

Attachments

• wowmodels.jpg
    wowmodels.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 93
Personally, I think that WoW´s end is long overdue... I mean, the game is almost 10 years old already! How long are they going to milk this cow?
I played until Cataclysm, and by then I got tired pretty quickly.

What Blizzard should do, IMO, is shut down WoW and return Warcraft to the RTS genre (a man can dream, right??). Then, after a couple games, return with a brand-new WoW 2 or something like that.

That said, the cinematic is awesome, but that is expected from Blizzard.

Personally, I think that WoW´s end is long overdue... I mean, the game is almost 10 years old already! How long are they going to milk this cow?
I played until Cataclysm, and by then I got tired pretty quickly.

What Blizzard should do, IMO, is shut down WoW and return Warcraft to the RTS genre (a man can dream, right??). Then, after a couple games, return with a brand-new WoW 2 or something like that.

That said, the cinematic is awesome, but that is expected from Blizzard.

To be honest, I am stoked about this expansion but I can't rub off the feeling this whole time travel theme gives me...it doesn't feel right. People have been clamoring for a new RTS game for a long time and I think it would have been better had they just remade WC 1 and 2 (and possibly 3) on the SC2 engine. That way the MMO and RTS could have co-existed.

I think a Warcraft RTS could co-exist with the MMO. The lore of WoW is vast enough that as long as the RTS team and MMO team made sure not to overlap it wouldn't be hard to find story content for both at the same time.

And I don't think WoW has to go Gedierond, but it gets harder to make a case for it staying the lazier they get. I mean at the point of Cataclysm, perhaps even WotLK, there should have been zero reason for repeated quests to no end. The same "gather 12 of these" and "kill 20 of that" over and over and over in every zone making up what feels like 70-80% of the quests you get while leveling is just lazy. They clearly have enough money to hire decent writers to give each zone better quests and story but they don't, and at 10 years in and millions of subscribers later there really is no excuse for that.

But they wont shut down while its a cash cow. they have about 7 million subscribers now and not counting those over priced mounts and pets in the WoW store that's over a $100 million every month. I just wish more of that money found it's way to hiring talented people that want to make the game better in every aspect, not just put on blinders for end of content raids.

View attachment 5315

Attachments

• quest.jpg
    quest.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
To be honest, I am stoked about this expansion but I can't rub off the feeling this whole time travel theme gives me...it doesn't feel right.

Well, when they introduced the Caverns of Time as a dungeon/raid hub, they opened a lot of possibilities for messing with time travels. And it´s a cool idea, as long as they keep it for certain quests or instances. Building a whole expansion upon the time travel thing is a bit too much, I agree...
Also, keeping Garrosh as the bad guy is a bad idea IMO. He turned out to be quite a stupid character.

If you want to bring old characters to the game, I think other ideas could have been better.
Give me a Sargeras reborn, with an imminent new invasion of the Burning Legion, and the Alliance and the Horde using the Caverns of Time to bring their long-gone heroes to fight all together against the fallen Titan and his demons. Something like that... to finish it in a truly epic way.

Give me a Sargeras reborn, with an imminent new invasion of the Burning Legion, and the Alliance and the Horde using the Caverns of Time to bring their long-gone heroes to fight all together against the fallen Titan and his demons. Something like that... to finish it in a truly epic way.

I would play that expansion in a heart beat Gedierond!

That might be the end goal anyway for as much as the Burning Legion is referred to as an inevitability, not a possibility. And they have already confirmed long ago that WoD is not the last expansion for WoW. So at the very least there will be one more.

I'm addicted. So's my guild. We'll be back. Again.

Fora month or two. As usual.

"They Always Come Back."

Haha, my guild too. Everyone scatters after the last raid has been out for a month or so but during the time when Blizzard is updating with new raids and challenges every couple months the guild is full again!

It's been years but I still don't have that mount from doing all the holidays. I never seem to be on (or care if I am on) during the Druid holiday at the start of the year! The only one left I need for that ugly purple/pink drake!

Haha, my guild too. Everyone scatters after the last raid has been out for a month or so but during the time when Blizzard is updating with new raids and challenges every couple months the guild is full again!

It's been years but I still don't have that mount from doing all the holidays. I never seem to be on (or care if I am on) during the Druid holiday at the start of the year! The only one left I need for that ugly purple/pink drake!

I have my Electric Blue Dragon Worm. I'm good.

I honestly don't care about most of the mounts I get but the one I really want is the Armored Dragonhawk you get for having 200 mounts...

But you can only farm for that kind of stuff so long before you get burnt out. I think I have something like 140 at this point.

I'm addicted. So's my guild. We'll be back. Again.

Fora month or two. As usual.

"They Always Come Back."

I would play that expansion in a heart beat Gedierond!

That might be the end goal anyway for as much as the Burning Legion is referred to as an inevitability, not a possibility. And they have already confirmed long ago that WoD is not the last expansion for WoW. So at the very least there will be one more.

Well, when they introduced the Caverns of Time as a dungeon/raid hub, they opened a lot of possibilities for messing with time travels. And it´s a cool idea, as long as they keep it for certain quests or instances. Building a whole expansion upon the time travel thing is a bit too much, I agree...
Also, keeping Garrosh as the bad guy is a bad idea IMO. He turned out to be quite a stupid character.

If you want to bring old characters to the game, I think other ideas could have been better.

Weeel, this is different. This is an alternative universe from 35 years ago, before the orcs drank the blood that is linked to our reality through the Dark Portal. This has the potential to cause a LOT of fuckups. If there are 2 Groms and 2 Mannoroths then there are also two Kil'Jaedens two Sargerases...it's very weird to be honest and not necessarily in a good way.

They should have just remade the two Warcraft games on the SC2 engines...that way they would have two games as well instead of just an expansion. Wasted opportunity but the chance to see Warcraft 1 and 2 era heroes makes it up for me. Kargath Bladefist is FUCKING METAL!

Just reading up on the player garrisons. It seems like it could be fun but it would make a lot more sense a guild hall than a single player home. But I remember hearing when they first announced it that it was going to be expensive. Considering the most expensive mount in MoP is 120,000 gold I'm guessing player housing might be 500,000. But that is just a guess based on everything in new xpacs getting more and more expensive.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2014/04/12/warlords-of-draenor-garrisons-much-more-than-player-housing/

They talked about guild housing but they decided against it because only 4-5 players would actually build stuff while the others would only be gathering resources. I think it is prudent of the to start with something on s smaller scale. Who knows, maybe in the future we'll get a BG where you can build structures warcraft 3 style and send armies against the other player.

More blue post info.

The 10-year anniversary celebration will begin in-game on Friday, November 21 and will last until Tuesday, January 6, 2015 at 10 a.m. PST. Everyone who logs in during this time period will receive the incredibly cuddly, feisty, and fiery new Molten Corgi to love, pet, and call their own. You’ll also be able to participate in a pair of special events to commemorate the occasion.

One of WoW’s classic 40-player dungeons, Molten Core, will be available in Raid Finder during the anniversary period for level 100 players. Making it through the underground gauntlet and defeating Ragnaros will reward players with a Core Hound mount and a Warlords of Draenor Raid Finder–quality helm (100% guaranteed!).

Southshore vs. Tarren Mill—The Battle Continues
To recapture the feeling of the endless tug-of-war of early WoW PvP, we’ll be opening a Team Deathmatch–style Battleground based on the timeless struggle between Southshore and Tarren Mill. We’ll have two different brackets for players to take part in: one for levels 90–99 characters and another for level 100. Unlike the old days of Tarren Mill vs. Southshore, there will be a clearly defined victor, so you’ll need to work as a team or face crushing defeat. A win will gain you a shiny new title: either Tarren Mill Terror for the Alliance or Southshore Slayer for the Horde.

Onward into Warlords of Draenor
With the release of Warlords of Draenor, all unrated PvP Battlegrounds, Skirmishes, and other unrated PvP activities will be available immediately. The new rated season will begin Tuesday, December 2 at 8 a.m. PST.

We also wanted to make sure that everyone had time to level up before we opened our first Raid dungeon, Highmaul, in Normal and Heroic modes. These will open at the same time as the rated PvP season (December 2), with Raid Finder and Mythic modes opening the following week. We’ll provide a complete schedule in the future for those who wish to start planning their new Raid calendars.

I like the idea of bringing back the molten core for high level raiding but the idea that it will only be open for a month and a half seems silly to me. A new mount and pet are always nice though. I think if anything the 10th anniversary would be a nice time to test out WoD.

I kept clicking on more videos after going to that fist song Cormacolindor, haha. I don't know what changed in my taste but the last few years I really started to like a lot of game music where before I never cared. A lot of games have some really good music and the WoD clips online sound good.

Top Bottom