Which Video card to get to play Witcher on good graphical level?

+

kdar

Forum veteran
Which Video card to get to play Witcher on good graphical level?

Well, I sold my main desktop about a year ago.Now thinking to build one again (right now just using crappy Laptop, but it do what I need).What video card should I get? Which one would be sufficient to play Witcher on good graphical level or max settings?Would 8600GT do it? Or would you recommend something from ATI?

I use a Zotac 8800GT amp (the overclocked version) works great with the Witcher. Everything maxed and runs smooth.Its overclocked Core Clock Speed 700MHz vs 600MHz StandardShader Clock Speed 1700MHz vs 1500MHz StandardMemory Clock Speed 2000MHzZotac are made buy the same company that build sapphire cards.As for Nvidia or ATI i had ATI before but their new drivers didn't seem to work with my favorite older games eg Morrowind, Star Wars Galaxies.So I went to Nvidiahttp://www.zotac.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=41&Itemid=159

Of course a 8800 will run it perfectly. If you're looking at lower priced cards though, it also runs perfectly with an ATI x1950Pro, ATI x1900xt and a nVidia 8600M GT (not sure about that card's performance on a high-res monitor, only tried it at the notebook's native resolution of 1440x900).With the ATI cards I had to disable AA at a resolution of 1600x1200, otherwise highest settings.The 8600m GT can handle even some AA at the notebook's screen resolution, also highest details.As for preferences, GeForce is faster, Radeon looks nicer (from my experience). ATI seems to handle my older games better, especially OpenGL games like NWN (for that reason I went back to ATI after bad experiences with some GeForce 7xxx cards).

kdar

Forum veteran
Right now I have 24" monitor..Which can have resolution of .1920 x 1200..I guess for this kind of resolution.. I would need 8800GT? what do you think?

I bought an 8800 GT and I have a 22" monitor at 1680 x 1050, and it automatically set everything in the game to max, including AA. Occasionally I might have a random stutter but overall it's very smooth, and no problems whatsoever.

Most definitely the card you suggested will play the game brilliantly. Though, if you're on a budget, keep in mind that I can play the game rather nicely on a 7600 GS (512MB). :p There are always ways around these things. But if you can afford the best, get the best. :D

kdar

Forum veteran
Yes.. I probably will end up getting 8800GT.. man.. haha, can't wait to play this game again on 24" monitor.

i have a X2 4600+, 2GB DDR3200 in dual channel, and a 512MB 8800GTS (the one with the G92 core) and I can run everything max except I think perhaps full AA (i let it at the defaults the game went to) on my 24" (1920x1200)Smooth as butter :]

I am looking to upgrade my graphics card before The Witcher EE comes out. I think I have narrowed it down to either:GeForce 8800GTorRadeon HD 3870Any comments on benefits of one over the other?Thanks!

Neyska said:
I am looking to upgrade my graphics card before The Witcher EE comes out. I think I have narrowed it down to either:GeForce 8800GTorRadeon HD 3870Any comments on benefits of one over the other?Thanks!
Aaye...I've got R HD 3870 and as for now I can play all the new games on max details - AC, Turok and so on.The Witcher of course is also set to high details and runs smoothly :)And there's a free NWN 2 with Radeon ;)Aileen

I'd like to mention that the EE being delayed to Aug/Sept 2008 is not officially confirmed by CDProjekt RED according to their own news that just said it was delayed there was more to come soon. This was a fan site that mentioned this, and has not been confirmed. I'd expect the news to be on The Witcher site first, something of this magnitude, before a fan site. Same with the console version. :)

Kdar said:
Right now I have 24" monitor..Which can have resolution of .1920 x 1200..I guess for this kind of resolution.. I would need 8800GT? what do you think?
Try This:XFX 9600GT XXX Edition Alpha Dog Edition:Thats a Geforce 9600GT overclocked at 750MHZ GPU 2000MHZ GDDR3Its available at tiger direct, I found it while reading www.hardocp.comOne Detai,l is PCI ExPRESS 2.0. Check your mobo specs for that.

PCI Express 2.0 is backwards compatible with 1.0.and the 9600GT is pretty much the same as a 8800GT with the only difference being that the 8800GT still is better at higher resolutions, ergo, 8800GT (or a 8800GTS) would be a better investment for a 1920x1200 resolution.

Top Bottom