Will The Witcher 3 Retail also have a digital key/install

+
It could also be a store-specific freebie that Amazon or Warner is offering. As Guy said, there's definitely been no promise generally of GOG keys being provided with the retail version.

The best thing is probably to check with Amazon/Warner, and to treat it as a "maybe" unless they give a confirmation.

I contacted my local distributor of W3 (Cenega) and he said that GOG.com code will be present in the retail version.

I'm certain CDPR would have mentioned it by now if it came with a GOG code. I wonder what's going on with all these claims by distributors?

I can see two possibilities here. Either there will be a code and CDPR forgot to tell us.
Or the distributors are making bold faced claims to keep their own sales strong/mistaken GOG for a steamworks wannabe.

Time will tell us the truth of course.

EDIT: Amazon UK makes no mention of a GOG code btw.

Last edited:
Will The CE Contain A Digital Download?

Hey everyone!

I just had a quick question about the Collectors Edition of the Witcher 3. I game on a laptop (I know it's kind of dumb), so therefore i have no disk tray. I can say I am a pretty big fan of The Witcher games, so I think that the CE will fit snug on my desk.

So does anyone know whether we will get a digital download code with this bundle?

I`m pretty sure they will do what they did with the 2nd game, if you had the CD key you could claim it at GOG.com for the downloadable version.

You can just buy an additional GOG copy of the game, comparing to the cost of CE it's quite cheap (especially if you own two previous games; if you own them on some other platform rather than on GOG you can redeem them on GOG). This way you'll support such awesome developers as CDPR even more (especially taking into account that GOG is a sister company to CDPR, so when you buy the game on GOG, 100% of the money goes to the devs), and you'll have a guaranteed DRM-free digital copy of the game.

Anyway, that's what I did: I preordered both a CE and a GOG copy.

My suggestion is to install the game to an external hard drive on a friend's PC who has a drive and take the drive with you. This way you can fully install it and connect it to your laptop.

Alternative two is to make a disc image of the DVD and put that on an external but that would require a fair bit of space as well as knowledge of imaging programs.

The final suggestion is to buy an external USB DVD drive. This will cost money and shouldnt set you back more than $30-50 USD.

I'm not sure installing to an external drive, then taking the drive to another computer, will succeed.

The installer will be installing Windows components and making registry entries, and these will not be present on the external drive.

Since they do not intend to copy-protect the DVD discs, you can easily copy the disc images to a hard drive and install from those. (Tip: Do not use DaemonTools, Alcohol 52%, or MagicISO for this purpose. They used to be good, but recent editions are burdened with really vile crapware. Try Virtual CloneDrive.)

I prefer mouseno4's suggestion of getting an external USB DVD drive. You will want one eventually anyway.

Last edited:
I just wanted to chip in and say that I hope CD Projekt RED will let us redeem our Witcher 3 on GOG. I'd pre-ordered months ago and only found out today that this isn't going to happen, and I'm really surprised by it. I know it wasn't supported for 1 and 2 when they were released, but since they'd created those after the fact and people generally looked on it favourably, I kind of just assumed it would be supported from the get-go. I, perhaps foolishly, pre-ordered my CE fully intending to redeem it on GOG. So, uhm... *please* try to make that happen? Otherwise I'd have to buy the game again digitally and I'm not so sure that's financially feasible for me, even with the provided discount for owning 1 and 2. So again... *please* offer a GOG redemption thingy! :(

I just wanted to chip in and say that I hope CD Projekt RED will let us redeem our Witcher 3 on GOG. I'd pre-ordered months ago and only found out today that this isn't going to happen, and I'm really surprised by it. I know it wasn't supported for 1 and 2 when they were released, but since they'd created those after the fact and people generally looked on it favourably, I kind of just assumed it would be supported from the get-go. I, perhaps foolishly, pre-ordered my CE fully intending to redeem it on GOG. So, uhm... *please* try to make that happen? Otherwise I'd have to buy the game again digitally and I'm not so sure that's financially feasible for me, even with the provided discount for owning 1 and 2. So again... *please* offer a GOG redemption thingy! :(

I'm going to chip in as well. I own a PC without an optical drive, because my case doesn't support it ( http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/143-h440-performance-mid-tower.html ). I don't miss an optical drive, because I buy most software (games) digitally. The only exceptions are CE's, because I love the physical stuff. I own the CE of the Witcher 2 also, so I pre-ordered without thinking the CE for the Witcher 3. I just assumed CD Projekt RED would let us claim our cd-key on GOG.com just like the first two games.

So please! Offer a GOG redemption thingy with the physical release of the Witcher 3 just like with the first two games.

I didn't even think this thread would get so many replies or people in the same predicament as me. It's nice to not be alone...until I binge play The Witcher 3 in the dark and get cat eyes, a beard, and white hair. I think I will just go for the external optical disk drive. As of now, I think its the most financially feasible option and it might come in handy in the future.

It does kinda suck.

There's no guarantee the game will arrive the day it unlocks and goes live. Then, you have a DVD install. DVD holds 4.7GB per side. If the game is 35GB compressed, that's 6+ disc. Luckily, I have a DVD player on my PC, but I understand how today many people may have PCs that do not have optical drives (they are remnants of a bygone era)

It does kinda suck.

There's no guarantee the game will arrive the day it unlocks and goes live. Then, you have a DVD install. DVD holds 4.7GB per side. If the game is 35GB compressed, that's 6+ disc. Luckily, I have a DVD player on my PC, but I understand how today many people may have PCs that do not have optical drives (they are remnants of a bygone era)

You will be surprised how many people will flood the forums with it at launch day...
I too think that its a bit stupid to not get a digital backup with the CE...

Digital copy with boxed version of TW3 and SLI support?

So my question is if there will be a digital copy coming together with the boxed version of the game because i really want the box version for my collection but also need the digital version coz my Lenovo ideapad y510p doesn't have a CD-ROM. It has another graphics card instead, so it has two Nvidia GeForce 755ms. It is quite powerful and can run games like Crysis 3 or AC4 pretty much maxed out with fullHD but many games struggle with SLI configurations so in most games i have to use only one card and i dont think that one 755m would be able to run TW3 very well, if it could even run it. And so my other question is if the game will support SLI configurations (please make it support SLI) thanks.

:comeatmebro:

Yeah actually i meant the GOG backup, that would be nice. Anyway if they won't include it this time i'll just buy the digital version from GOG.

Question about the physical copy of TW3 on PC. Redeemable key for GoG/Steam?

Will it come with a CD key you can redeem on GoG or Steam? You guys think it might? Lots of modern physical PC releases do this so I'm curious. A lot of people don't have disc drives anymore and buy physical copies for the goodies and just to have discs in case in the future they need them.

Top Bottom