Combat in The Witcher 3

+
All I need to see now is normal parrying. In all the gameplay we've seen so far, the guy playing it has relied 100% on dodges, and only shown 1 riposte.

I agree on the spinning attack thing, although it's not a huge deal to me, it would be preferable if Geralt didn't open his attack combo with a spinning attack. Pirouetting attacks should be done to keep up the momentum from an attack you just did, and to confuse the opponent.

That being said, I do like the pirouetting long-range attack Geralt does in TW2 when attacking an opponent from a distance.

All I need to see now is normal parrying. In all the gameplay we've seen so far, the guy playing it has relied 100% on dodges, and only shown 1 riposte.

Yep I agree, Mamais said we would have " a very deep parrying system" but we have yet to see it.

Also something very alarming in the demos is that humans are still atacking like in TW2 (to me that was one of the only things I truly didn't like about the game, they only raise their swords once in every 10 seconds and take another 5 sec to bring it down on you, I used to stay poised in parry position waiting for the blow, parrying should be something you do quickly, like a reflex, kinda like in a fighting game.

But apart from that I leaped with joy after watching the 30 min demo, story, ambience, dialog, quest design, all seem absolutely amazing

Last edited:

I agree on the spinning attack thing, although it's not a huge deal to me, it would be preferable if Geralt didn't open his attack combo with a spinning attack. Pirouetting attacks should be done to keep up the momentum from an attack you just did, and to confuse the opponent.

That being said, I do like the pirouetting long-range attack Geralt does in TW2 when attacking an opponent from a distance.

Actually i'm abit disappointed on removal of rolling. It would be much awesome if we combine, parry, dodge, riposte and roll.

In the Twitch version of the Griffin fight you can see some parrying and rolling, they also defeat a guy with a crossbow and he crawls away which looks cool. I agree that I'd like to see more and I'd also like them to stop playing on easy, I dont think that is doing the game any favors. It seems like with this footage they are just trying to show off dismemberment and the signs. Hopefully next time we'll see some of the other stuff highlighted.

Actually i'm abit disappointed on removal of rolling. It would be much awesome if we combine, parry, dodge, riposte and roll.

Yes I agree, it would work well with the different styles in Witcher 1.

this is what I meant with the spinning attack (the second gif is different though).

http://a.pomf.se/raoaes.webm (webm version)

http://a.pomf.se/clgwpn.webm (webm version)

Okay, time for my feedback.

I noticed that the LOCK ON mechanic changed a little, fianlly we don't see a giant round mark around person's body, but instead an eye on the left of his health bar, this is quite genius if you ask me, I always was annoyed by that in games like Dark Souls 1, 2, Demons Souls or Witcher 2. Such a trivial detail for many but so important to me !

Besides, like I said earlier in this topic, good parry system is also required for me, hopfeully one not based on Quen sign only, I hate using sings during battle (hell, even Geralt shied from it in the books).

As for the thursts, I don't mind them not being there, still, one thurst animation would be nice.

BUT STILL, those dismemberments - PLEASE TONE THEM DOWN, let's not fruit ninja every opponent, PLEASE.

Last edited:
Actually, Geralt does perform a thrust move (bowchickabowow) in the Microsoft version of the Griffin demo, on the first bandit he kills. It wasn't the badass Achilles move, but it still looked pretty awesome.

The amount of gore and violence in the new video rivals even the new Wolfenstein and Brutal Doom haha. I didn't expect it to be so bloody. Hitting stuff also seems to have more "oomph" now. Overall a big improvement from TW2.

Yeah, dismemberment looked badass atleast to say. I like how it's based on the angle from which you strike/slash your enemy, looks great.

Yes I agree, it would work well with the different styles in Witcher 1.

this is what I meant with the spinning attack (the second gif is different though).

i love how inhumanly fast Geralt moves in these 2 scenes. That will finally make me feel like i´m really playing as someone who has superhuman speed, strenght etc.
I kinda missed that in TW1+2

But yeah i agree, the Spinning attack seems way to frequent

Havent read the full thread, but are counter attacks still possible?
In TW2 when you hold the block button, there was a little symbol flashing over the enemies when they tried to attack you. When you timed your attack right you made a counter attack. Is this still in?
In all the videos he was just jumping around.

In TW2 when you hold the block button, there was a little symbol flashing over the enemies when they tried to attack you. When you timed your attack right you made a counter attack. Is this still in?

No, I think we just block now on our own;)

From the demo it seams that Geralt have only 2 gap closing attacks, either it's piroette followed wtih hit on left, or jump-spin attack with hit on right. When they said there is gonna be 92 combat animations, I was expecting a bit more variety..
Nevertheless, combat looks great.

I think you can counter attack, this kick move (with Quen) at least looks like it

http://a.pomf.se/pzmdeo.webm (webm version)

oh and please CDP Red do something about the spinning attacks, there should be more normal attacks right? it looks and makes the combat odd seeing Geralt doing mostly spinning attacks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom