map

+
kk.
Since we have the map ( although there was a bit more space to scroll in the video ) is there any size comparison to another game. I think the Skyrim comparison before was rather flawed.
It probably is a bit flawed in that people will expect a Skyrim amount of cities that span an entire country, not realizing that all of Skyrim's cities could probably fit combined into Novigrad. The scale they talk about is technically correct, but in general terms I think it sets people up for the wrong expectations.

It probably is a bit flawed in that people will expect a Skyrim amount of cities that span an entire country, not realizing that all of Skyrim's cities could probably fit combined into Novigrad. The scale they talk about is technically correct, but in general terms I think it sets people up for the wrong expectations.

Yea, but Im basicly asking for the raw size of the map just so I can imagine how big it is. We know it is like 40 times TW2, but it is hard to imagine since TW2 was cut into pieces and had a lot of invisible walls.
Im sure there will be plenty of small villages in TW3 though.

Looks to be 'more than' 9km x 8km... with a similar ish size for Skellige, and other 'off map' areas (apparently at least a subset of Vizima (if the throne room and Emhyr are part of the game play) and Kaer Morhen).

The upper bound might be a little more than that, but not by much.

Total map area around 150km^2 possibly... based on scaling from 'that distant tree', the speed of a horse and the relative path length and direct line which is 14x the tree distance... could be anything from half to twice that realistically, with all the uncertainties.

Yea, but Im basicly asking for the raw size of the map just so I can imagine how big it is. We know it is like 40 times TW2, but it is hard to imagine since TW2 was cut into pieces and had a lot of invisible walls.
Im sure there will be plenty of small villages in TW3 though.

In a recent interview, a dev said that he thought he made a mistake in a previous interview when he said the world was 65 times bigger than TW2 and not 35, but that when he later told the story to the environment guys in CDPR, they told him thats funny becaue the world actually is closer to being 65 times bigger than just 35.

The map posted was roughly half of the whole game, because everytime I hear word about this subject from them Skellige is supposed to be the same size as the NM'sL and Novigrad map, it does include lots of water though.

Combining all this with the GDC slides, I guess 3 or 4 times Skyrim might be very possible, even likely.

Some speculation regarding the map icons:

I'd guess this icon denotes a place with a notice board (similar to W2). If so, we can expect 12 villages in Novigrad area + NML, as well as 2 cities (Novigrad and Oxenfurt).

Perhaps point of interest which you've stumbled upon while adventuring?

I'd guess this icon denotes a place with a notice board (similar to W2). If so, we can expect 12 villages in Novigrad area + NML, as well as 2 cities (Novigrad and Oxenfurt).

And the 3 circles are the fast travel points
Edit: Nope actually there is a signpost icon on the map. Any idea what the cirles are?
Edit2: kek im so dumb, that's the cursor

Last edited:

Well, those are locations that have been visited, surely? So we don't really know the true number. But I guess they may reveal all notice boards at the start... Not sure why.

This I'm not sure of. They described certain locations that have no markers as 'points of interest'. However, the arrow near the Johnny quest is seen during gameplay right next to Geralt when he finds the werewolf's victim before the fight (the preparation). It looks like a shrine of some sort.

Last edited:
I would just like to add - It appears the map can be scrolled further north,east and south. We also have Skellige that is it's own separate map (In the journal) I do not think this is the entire Novigrad/NML map. We will see ;) Even if it is roughly the entire area, it is properly scaled.

The 65 X TW2 comment by Jose was great to hear, considering how dense and detailed the world appears to be, going by the demos. I cannot wait to explore this world, every little nook & cranny! Additionally, going by how the map is laid out, it appears the boat will have a good amount of use in this area as well as Skellige.

Last edited:
I would just like to add - It appears the map can be scrolled further north,east and south. We also have Skellige that is it's own separate map (In the journal) I do not think this is the entire Novigrad/NML map. We will see ;) Even if it is roughly the entire area, it is properly scaled.

Yeah, I thought I could see more unseen space above Novigrad at least, but I thought the entire map is shown in the loading screen. If he travelled to a higher point than shown, this loading image would have to change if it isn't the whole area? I assumed it was a static display of the map, with dynamic pointers joining the travel. Maybe I'm wrong to assume that, I guess? I suppose we have to see Skellige at some point.

Last edited:
The "circles" are actually just two representations of the cursor used to mark the two FTP, and which is driving the map scrolling.

At 6:05 you can see the actual route that is followed between these points.
Geralt is marked as the wolf at Novigrad signpost, and the followed quest exclamation point is near the Bog signpost.

I don't think we've quite seen the whole map extent... at least to the South and West, but the absence of detail in the East makes me think this may be the Eastern limits of the main map. (with possible 'jump-map' trips to Vizima/Kaer Morhen)

Brokilon! I was thinking about just a scrap of the forest on the edge of the map, where you can got shot by the driades, if you try to go further!

Also, they mentioned they are only a few* hours in the game at that point (well, they said several, but less than half way through). If you take this into account it is very much possible the total number of towns in TW3 which have notice boards might be double as high, which is awesome. Imagine every town has at least 3 monster-hunting contracts and/or questst. Then imagine the number of quests across NML, Novigrad and Skellige that are NOT part of the main storyline.
Simply an amazing thought.

Well, those are locations that have been visited, surely? So we don't really know the true number. But I guess they may reveal all notice boards at the start... Not sure why.

Nope.
My guess is that they only revealed all boards for the demo, so player have something to speculate and make conclusions about locations.

Last edited:
Also, they mentioned they are only a view hours in the game at that point (well, they said several, but less than half way through). If you take this into account it is very much possible the total number of towns in TW3 which have notice boards might be double as high, which is awesome. Imagine every town has at least 3 monster-hunting contracts and/or questst. Then imagine the number of quests across NML, Novigrad and Skellige that are NOT part of the main storyline.

Well, I hope the villages have more to offer than just 2-3 monster-hunting contracts. :p
Citites need something that makes you come back to them.

Well, I hope the villages have more to offer than just 2-3 monster-hunting contracts. :p
Citites need something that makes you come back to them.

Sure. I only didn't want to exaggerate. Maybe 1 village has only 2, another might have 5. Also, there are contracts which open up follow-up contracts.
And as we know, if we progress in the storyline we might get to see the changes that happen to the different villages and that way there might be quests unlocking due to the consequences of what you did earlier.

Also, they mentioned they are only a few* hours in the game at that point (well, they said several, but less than half way through). If you take this into account it is very much possible the total number of towns in TW3 which have notice boards might be double as high, which is awesome. Imagine every town has at least 3 monster-hunting contracts and/or questst. Then imagine the number of quests across NML, Novigrad and Skellige that are NOT part of the main storyline.

Nope.
My guess is that they only revealed all boards for the demo, so player have something to speculate and make conclusions about locations.

What conclusions are these? All the locations of all the boards? We're also assuming here that every village has a board, too. Or perhaps not every board is assigned to a village/city? (although unlikely, I guess). *Also*, don't changes affect the world? I'm sure there are scenarios where boards disappear when a certain village perishes, etc...

Last edited:
I find it weird that cities and villages don't have an indicator. sure, a notice board probably means a settlement is nearby, but that's not the same..

I find it weird that cities and villages don't have an indicator. sure, a notice board probably means a settlement is nearby, but that's not the same..

And why is that you find it weird? for me its rather obvious that in the demo presentation CDRed only teases the content of the game not spoils it...

And why is that you find it weird? for me its rather obvious that in the demo presentation CDRed only teases the content of the game not spoils it...

so you are saying that they took out city markers from the demo build but left in notice boards and that other weird symbol when they don't even use them? seems kind of unlikely to me.

Top Bottom