The Witcher 3 probably not 1080p on consoles.

+
I dont like one PART from the interview , the declarations from teixeira , about the prefomance on next-gen consoles. He say the GPU the mid-range (like gtx 660 )it can run on high setting and the consoleshave vissuals sacrifices for good perfomance.

I think the GPU gtx 660 isnt more powerfull than PS4. First, the consoles are closed sistem (this is a full control about hardware) or second , gtx 660 has 2,4 teraflops and the PS4 has 2 teraflops without overlocking (not only GPU , CPU too). I know that PS4 not is one PC high-range but with the time the PS4 will have one perfomance very superior at gtx 660 .

That is my worry. I dont talk of magic or nothing , just logic.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, as a PC and PS4 owner, I'm really just disappointed that 60fps still isn't the benchmark for the new generation of consoles. I realize sacrifices have to be made so that prices can be kept low enough because that's just what that market expects, but damn. Even the new Killzone game runs at 30fps in SP. I hope they figure this out over the next year or two. Framerate is big. Maybe it's just me, but I really can't stand sub-50 framerates anymore.

Which brings me to TW3 - don't forget, folks, that these consoles are still very new, and developers are still figuring out how to squeeze maximum performance out of them. It's hardly surprising that CDPR can't be sure yet what kind of performance they'll get for this game in the end.

Could've sworn someone posted a link to a confirmation that it was 1080p on the PS4, 900p on the Xbox. Guess they're backtracking?

Optimization is the last part of the development not to mention they redid their engine and it's the first time they do such a big world, also the first time they use Umbra technology. So I wouldn't expect reliable info until close to release, everything else is speculations.

I dont like one PART from the interview , the declarations from teixeira , about the prefomance on next-gen consoles. He say the GPU the mid-range (like gtx 660 )it can run on high setting and the consoleshave vissuals sacrifices for good perfomance.

I think the GPU gtx 660 isnt more powerfull than PS4. First, the consoles are closed sistem (this is a full control about hardware) or second , gtx 660 has 2,4 teraflops and the PS4 has 2 teraflops without overlocking (not only GPU , CPU too). I know that PS4 not is one PC high-range but with the time the PS4 will have one perfomance very superior at gtx 660 .

That is my worry. I dont talk of magic or nothing , just logic.

A PS4 is comparable to a GTX 580. Guys...these next gen consoles aren't so powerful as you believe.

CDPred should just get the frames as smooth as they can get it with as many objects on the screen as they can. Then, if they can, try to boost up the res.

Ha, I don't care, I won't play it on consoles. But I'd like them to prioritize frame rate. Solid 30fps 900p >> 1080p 20fps. Gameplay > eyecandy, even if this eyecandy (1080p) is so last decade. As for PC, please optimize it the best as you can as I'd like to play closer to 60fps

This thread will go places, I can tell XD

Seriously speaking though, it doesn't surprise me. PS4/Xbone have just come out they can still be optimized through firmware updates and devs are not used to working with them yet.
I don't really care, last console I had was a Sega Mega Drive.

You misunderstand optimization on the new consoles......here is a video to help explain.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K5Opymw0p0

A PS4 is comparable to a GTX 580. Guys...these next gen consoles aren't so powerful as you believe.

not even a 580.......

XBox One: somewhere between a 7770 and 7790

PS4: somewhere between a 7850 and 7870

Neither one is particularly impressive I will not compare them to Nvidia cards but I can say even a 750ti runs 1080p better......in most situations

not even a 580.......

XBox One: somewhere between a 7770 and 7790

PS4: somewhere between a 7850 and 7870

Neither one is particularly impressive I will not compare them to Nvidia cards but I can say even a 750ti runs 1080p better......in most situations

Ouch, did not know this at all. I understand that affordability affected the choices they made, but I really wish Sony and MS had better cards built into their systems. I'm buying a PS4 on Black Friday regardless, but dang.

I read an article that said the Xbox 360 and PS3 were close to high-end PCs at their time. The fact that PS4 / Xbox One are basically low-mid tier PCs so early into their life cycle is somewhat . . . worrying.

The only I thing I really want is the game to be locked 30 FPS and to perform in a stable manner generally.

If max resolution will hamper a great performance then so be it.Cut off a few Ps.

I don't want a broken, glitchy mess like many open world games on consoles.

The game will look great because of the art direction and a good FPS.900p is fine.

Last edited:
guys;
consoles aint as simple as just comparing the GPU chip.
for exemplar the ps4 is a unified chip...the cpu,gpu and various other components are all in one big chipset unit. this is backed with Gddr5 ram which we pc gamers see on video cards but don't use to back up our CPU and system ram..which is mostly still ddr3.
so by using gddr5 as system ram the ps4 is pushing a faster ram system to access data across the board.
its GPU specs are roughly that of a radeon 7850...but Sony have severely tinkered with that standard and have ended up closer to a 7860.
but all this has to be balanced across the system as various stuff is accessed...until devs get to grips with ps4 and xbox 1 architecture then they wont be utilising all available memory bandwidth etc....
current thinking is that the ps4 system itself will probably hammer about 3.5 gig of ram just to keep itself alive and running..leaving the rest for a game that is running.
so in pc terms your essentially running AMD A10-6800K APU with a radeon 7850 OC'd.
in pc terms a base level i5 2500k will nearly double the performance of that CPU and for NVidia guys a gtx590 or gtx660 or above will beat the GPU.

so now work back from that: http://benchmark3d.com/the-witcher-2-benchmark
a lower end system with an i5 and a less powerful GPu and ram than we have currently discussed could run TW2 just over 20FPS on average at 1680*1050 pretty much maxed out.
so that's better cpu, lesser ran and gpu....
considering the aim is to play 1080 but to obtain the best graphic fidelity possible and gameplay experience then its swings and roundabouts....yes you have new architecture and power under the hood of the ps4 and xbox one....at the same time that hardware is being stretched by new gen game engines and graphical demands as well as a higher resolution.
I would suggest the most likely scenario will be that shadows, rendering distance and lighting distance will be dropped to medium on consoles to enable graphic fidelity to the area within immediate gaming view to be kept as good as possible whilst keeping fps high. of course the trade off will be if they aim for a higher resolution 1080 instead of 900 or 720 then the rendering distances will be dropped accordingly.
its simply how it will be.

Well 2 things I have to say:

1. Uncharted and Last of Us looked incredible at 720p on PS3 so not a big problem, if you really want to see the most amazing graphics, PC on ultra it is.
2. Console problem for being too weak, not at all CD Project Red's problem, game is too heavy for the consoles.

This is for anyone who will try to complain about it :p

guys;
consoles aint as simple as just comparing the GPU chip.
for exemplar the ps4 is a unified chip...the cpu,gpu and various other components are all in one big chipset unit. this is backed with Gddr5 ram which we pc gamers see on video cards but don't use to back up our CPU and system ram..which is mostly still ddr3.
so by using gddr5 as system ram the ps4 is pushing a faster ram system to access data across the board.
its GPU specs are roughly that of a radeon 7850...but Sony have severely tinkered with that standard and have ended up closer to a 7860.
but all this has to be balanced across the system as various stuff is accessed...until devs get to grips with ps4 and xbox 1 architecture then they wont be utilising all available memory bandwidth etc....

Not really so simple either. Gddr5 is better on the GPU because they need to move masive chunks of data, while ddr3 is better on the CPU because it has low latency. Here is a video explaning it futher. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbgvzVgfoSc

The thing that developers aren't used to the new generation consoles and will after some time squeeze more out of it is just little true. It was true when Xbox 360 and Ps3 released becaused they used completly new arcitecture for gaming: power pc and cell respektively. This generation use x86 which has been used for pc's a very long time and the deveopers now exactly how to optimise for it.

Some one with more knowledge and better english should explain futher.

OT: I would probably sacrifice the resolution for stable fps. but thats my opinion.

The GDDR5 as system memory isn't that big of a deal, because the CPU can't take advantage of the extra bandwidth. In fact, the CPU's bandwidth is only 20 GB/s.. Latency is a bigger deal for the CPU than bandwidth is, and I believe DDR3 has lower latency though I'm not fully certain.

until devs get to grips with ps4 and xbox 1 architecture then they wont be utilising all available memory bandwidth etc....

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. Unlike the previous generation which used somewhat exotic architectures that required steep learning curves, developers are familiar with the x86-64 architecture because that's what's been used on PC for many years now. So basically, it shouldn't take them that long to learn to fully utilize the PS4 and Xbox One architecture to the fullest extent..

The improvements down the road will come mostly from the compute units, which can be used for many different functions..

The thing is easy, The PC has power and it has a open system , the consoles hasnt . Firts , the consoles perfomance is very superior compared to GPU with similar power from pc, in this case 7870(PS4 GPU). The true is , The next-gen consoles arent than powerful like ps3/xbox 360 in them moment. But , the consoles architecture , is more easy for devepolers and devepolment but however his components are very customized ,although it has the x86-64 ARCHITECTURE. So his perfomance is very diferent to pc , ps3 xbox 360 an too his APU chip , that bring different ways for the program and devepolment.

Its clear , that the next-gen consoles arent high-end pc but them perfomance musnt be underestimate and still knowing when teixeira said the gpu gtx 660 can move the game on high grafical perfil from pc , and this gpu not is more powerfull than PS4, in numbers very similar, and perfomance still unknown(PS4). furthermore , the gpu integrated on PS4 has AMD next-generation GPU architecture , And this hasnt it neither the 7870 nor the gtx 660 ti. The real perfomance the PS4 , will be very similar to R9 270 between 7950.

Eskerrik asko

AMD doesn't actually have a "next-generation GPU architecture". The architecture of the 77xx-up, R7, R9, APUs, and console processors is all the same GCN.

The PS4 GPU does not perform like a 7950. I have a 7950, I know what it can do, and I know a PS4 can't do it. Its architecture and performance are very close to a 7850, and no handwaving will change that.

And the Jaguar CPU is slow. As soon as you get something that has to be calculated in one thread, it will take twice as long as it would on a Phenom II, A-series, or FX.

You cannot build a PC with PS4-level performance for the price. But the PS4 is the equal of an entry-level gaming PC only.

AMD doesn't actually have a "next-generation GPU architecture". The architecture of the 77xx-up, R7, R9, APUs, and console processors is all the same GCN.

The PS4 GPU does not perform like a 7950. I have a 7950, I know what it can do, and I know a PS4 can't do it. Its architecture and performance are very close to a 7850, and no handwaving will change that.

And the Jaguar CPU is slow. As soon as you get something that has to be calculated in one thread, it will take twice as long as it would on a Phenom II, A-series, or FX.

You cannot build a PC with PS4-level performance for the price. But the PS4 is the equal of an entry-level gaming PC only.

I remember you, Guy, from when I posted here before and you were always very knowledgeable about this tech stuff. You also posted a killer photo of yourself in a kilt once!

My question is, what does an entry level PC entail? The reason I ask is because the Metro 2033 games were notoriously hard to get at 1080p/60fps on a good PC yet that's the resolution/frame rate on the PS4.

-Frist ; I dont say the PS4 perfomance will be equal to 7950 , I have say between r9 270 and 7950 .

-Second; The perfomance from the closed system no its similar to pc. The components are customized , CPU, GPU and RAM. The APIS from consoles are very personalized , the comunication between cpu and gpu is more complete and fast . The GPU from PS4( it isnt 7850 its more closed to R9 270) is AMD next-generation GPU or like you have say GCN and it has very inteligent personalizations , It has the same numbers of ACES from 290( I dont say teraflops or perfomance , just ACES) etc.....

-Third; CPU is the jaguar yes(but with his personalizations) , but his perfomance is very superior to the same cpu from pc. Its difficult for undertands , the clossed system , have to full control about hardware , it is one advantage(very big) compared to open system. It can does much with less. And also with the APU system , the APU from PS4 not is like apus from PC. How I say before , PS4 not is high-end PC. But his perfomance its still unknown. All this it cannot be compared , with the same componenets from pc ;Because , for two things;

- Personalizations(all the components, so his perfomance it cannot be compared to pc with same characteristics like power , perfomance etc.....)
- full control about the hardware.

-Last; For me the most important , for know the real perfomance from PS4 ,still , is very soon . Look the exclusives game the impressiver grafics they have. And just begining , and I know that PS4 architecture is similar to pc (x86-64) but that not is the reason for think that consoles will have to same perfomance(from pc) with this architecture , all the system is personalized .

Last edited:
entry level these days would be:
low end i5
GeForce 650 ish gpu
4-8 gig of ram
in my opinion...
I build/sell/repair them for a living and that's what I would suggest is someone wanted to start gaming on pc and couldn't afford to throw big money at it.
from that system upgrading would be simply a case of saving up and swapping out cpu, gpu and slamming more ram in as long as you picked suitable motherboard etc
I run a 650ti in my pc here in the office and can happily slam modern games at 1920*1080 on high/ultra with a few minor tweaks. I tend to drop AA and shadows..neither of them greatly enhance the experience of the games in my books and can add a goodly sum of FPS.

but everyone will have a different opinion on this....

Last edited:
Top Bottom