The Main Villain (Eredin) Just Doesn't cut it for me... (SPOILERS!)

+
I would like to see a Ciri vs Alvin (A.K.A Jacques de Alsberg) fight
Who do you think would win?

Ciri would totally win. But yeah, I really like this idea. How far could they take the alternate dimensions before the fourth wall would break? I imagine Ciri and Alvin fighting each other in various other classic fantasy universes and our real world in various time periods. Suddenly they're fighting each other on the beaches of Normandy during D-day and shit like that. I kind of think that that wouldn't go over so well with most people though, even I kind of wrinkled my nose a little bit when I read the books and suddenly Ciri was in the real world, and then later talking to Galahad, being told about Merlin and stuff like that.

Basically the only thing that kind of kills the hype for me (Except Ciri's heels) is that Eredin isn't really a big deal

You don´t even know how close this might be to the truth. That it will turn out that he is just pawn on the chess board. But let´s wait for actual story how it will turn out.

The thing is that Eredin himself doesn´t have to be that poweful. His soldiers can be his power...like Emhyr. Is he weak himself? Yes. Is he actually weak. No. Would it ruin immersion? No why? Why would all villains(and don´t forget that Eredin doesn´t actualy have to be villain )have to be overpowered? Witcher universe is little bit like game of chess. It´s not the queen who has to win but king. And king himself is actually pretty weak figure.

Ciri would totally win. But yeah, I really like this idea. How far could they take the alternate dimensions before the fourth wall would break? I imagine Ciri and Alvin fighting each other in various other classic fantasy universes and our real world in various time periods. Suddenly they're fighting each other on the beaches of Normandy during D-day and shit like that. I kind of think that that wouldn't go over so well with most people though, even I kind of wrinkled my nose a little bit when I read the books and suddenly Ciri was in the real world, and then later talking to Galahad, being told about Merlin and stuff like that.

Orrrrrrr It turns ot that Alvin is Ciri's and Galahad's son. And she finds that out AFTER she kills him. Latino soap opera level: 99

Orrrrrrr It turns ot that Alvin is Ciri's and Galahad's son. And she finds that out AFTER she kills him. Latino soap opera level: 99

I believe you mean that it's over 9000!!! :)

From the books, Eredin and his squad are elite fighters, so there's not way they are weak.
I also find it hard to believe that there could be someone using him as a pawn, apart from Avalach, who's a big mystery.

Now if we consider that Alvin is in the game, he could turn out to be something entirely different, especially if we consider time travel and a version of Alvin that is not Jacques de Alsberg.
Or maybe if they use his power to travel between worlds, they mind control him or just brainwash him, and that's the reason they are able to chase after Ciri?

I don't think Eredin is the final boss, despite all the hype and promotional materials which seem to be pointing otherwise. Geralt and Letho's group already slaughtered a lot of Wild Hunt's soldiers according to TW2's flashbacks, and their biggest advantage seems to lie in the numbers.

Maker of the thread is right - Eredin alone really shouldn't be an issue for Cirilla, and that goes double for Geralt. IMO there's more to him then there was in the books, maybe he'll be seriously augmented by magic, his comrades, or maybe he's simply another pawn and not the main antagonist. Plus it seems appropriate for Avallach (who was supposedly smarter and liked painting mammoths on cave walls?) to make an appearance given how important he was in the books. As for Ciri getting seriously hurt - that's easily explainable in that they've simply overwhelmed her or maybe forced to a dimension where something almost done her in.

On a side note, it really sucks that we haven't seen anyone on the level of Bonhart or Vilgefortz in TW1/2. Fighting the latter would especially be something, but CDPR probably won't give us a similar challenge since they've hyped Geralt's abilities too much and witchers in general seem to be the be all end all of swordfighting.

Most likely Eredin is not the final boss, maybe Avallach or someone else, we'll see.

I still think that you underestimate Eredin and his riders too much. The riders may not be as strong as Eredin, but witchers are not normal humans as well, thus they are able to fight back against the common Aen Elle soldiers.

Eredin though will probably be a major boss, and it will not be an easy task for Geralt or Ciri to best him. He or at least Avallach, is definitely stronger than Vilgefortz and he toyed with Geralt.
Geralt was also multiple times on the brink of death, so much that even his mother had to show up and save him once, I do hope we see her in the game, not much is known about her, but it might make for an interesting story and some side quests.
So yeah, Geralt is the most well known witcher and a swordsmanship legend, but he's not the most powerful being, so I expect he'll get his butt kicked a few times. :)

Now Ciri may have a better grasp on her powers now and be even more skilled with the sword, but if she's as powerful as you make her to be, common soldiers would be nothing but toys to her, thus the quantity of the enemy would not matter that much, yet still she is heavily injured.

I wonder if we'll get to fight sorceresses, but hopefully a proper fight, because the mages in W2 that we got to fight were pathetic, the only exception is the Operator.
Even Letho and the other witchers were too easy, I so hope for challenging fights.

Geralt is not a mutant, he is a super mutant. He was subjected to more mutations than even the average Witcher, and thus he is stronger and faster than the rest of the Witchers. They chose the best ones to go through the further mutations in order to see how much they could push the limits, so Geralt was probably very talented with a sword and had superior physical prowess and immune system at young age even before the mutations. Ciri did not go through mutations at all, so no matter how talented she is she can't outmatch Geralt in a physical fight. So as far as sword-fighting goes Geralt could defeat her if he seriously decides to go for the kill.
Magic is another story though. Ciri is much more powerful than Gerlat when it comes to magic, and as a matter of fact I think that magic is Geralt's weak spot. He rarely uses magic in the books and relies more on sword-fighting, and fighting mages such as Vilgefortz give him the most trouble. So I think Ciri could defeat Geralt if Geralt doesn't find a way to hinder her magical abilities.
I think this is how Eredin and his minions got to Ciri. They found a way to hinder her magic, and they were able to outmatch and injure her. So I assume Eredin has matured after his defeat, and it seems that he is playing it smart this time around. He probably has something in store for Geralt as well. Eredin's best strategy would be to find a way to hinder Ciri's magical capabilities, and overwhelm Geralt with magic like Vilgefortz did in order to defeat him.

Geralt is not a mutant, he is a super mutant. He was subjected to more mutations than even the average Witcher, and thus he is stronger and faster than the rest of the Witchers. They chose the best ones to go through the further mutations in order to see how much they could push the limits, so Geralt was probably very talented with a sword and had superior physical prowess and immune system at young age even before the mutations. Ciri did not go through mutations at all, so no matter how talented she is she can't outmatch Geralt in a physical fight. So as far as sword-fighting goes Geralt could defeat her if he seriously decides to go for the kill.
Magic is another story though. Ciri is much more powerful than Gerlat when it comes to magic, and as a matter of fact I think that magic is Geralt's weak spot. He rarely uses magic in the books and relies more on sword-fighting, and fighting mages such as Vilgefortz give him the most trouble. So I think Ciri could defeat Geralt if Geralt doesn't find a way to hinder her magical abilities.
I think this is how Eredin and his minions got to Ciri. They found a way to hinder her magic, and they were able to outmatch and injure her. So I assume Eredin has matured after his defeat, and it seems that he is playing it smart this time around. He probably has something in store for Geralt as well. Eredin's best strategy would be to find a way to hinder Ciri's magical capabilities, and overwhelm Geralt with magic like Vilgefortz did in order to defeat him.

But even then, Geralt went a looong way since the end of the books and the beginning of TW1.
In the end I also think it is more of a board game and the weight will not only lie on Geralts abilities in an one-on-one fight (or Ciris for that matter), but also in the decision he (you the player) made along the way.

I think there are pieces of the puzzle yet to be revealed. And this could prove to become very interesting.

1.As some members wonderfully expressed around here, last time a 13-15 year old Ciri and our main villain met, he ended up swimming and limping.

Last time Geralt met him, the only thing that saved his life is the sheer number of his servants, Geralt and his witcher mates just couldn't kill fast enough of them.

Basically the only thing that kind of kills the hype for me (Except Ciri's heels) is that Eredin isn't really a big deal, even if you discount Ciri's godlike powers. Anyone from Geralt's company except Dandelion could tear apart Eredin and Yennefer/Triss probably most of his riders.

The only ones who CAN and don't even have to be a danger to Geralt/Ciri are Phillipa and Sile's lodge and even more so Emhyr with his whole Empire behind him.

Oh a small correction, I forgot W1 the ending, so chances are that Geralt's and Eredin's last meeting ended up with Geralt kicking his ass...
I forgot something about Ciri, by her 15th year she kicked everybody's ass, she defeated EVERY opponent, one of which killed three witchers, yeah she used an advantageous surrounding against this witcher-slayer, her body size and type of training were better suited there, but still she would last longer then most of his opponents.

The thing is Ciri by her 15 year, is probably among top 10 swordsmen in the Witcher universe (although she had like half a year of training at most). And that's without all the witcher alchemy and herbs. So logic kind of demands that by now she she the be the best, even easily beating Geralt.

The only thing that goes against this theory is that Ciri barely raised a sword after their last meeting, but knowing her and the ending I highly doubt that.

Notice that this discounts Ciri's magic and time traveling abilities.

Oh Eredin, you are so screwed...

As I said before,Geralt will annihalate him,if it comes to a duel(or Ciri will finish him on her own).Emhyr is quite obviously not the threat(by "I will give her what she deserves,I believe he means the world(or just Nilfgaard if he fails again)).Philipa and Shile(the lodge) are done for,even if they somehow manage to get a "ceasefire" or an "alliance" with the northern rulers,they will be dealt with after the hypothetical failure of the empire to conquer the north.The only viable threat in my opinion is Avalakh(the one we do not know much about,but it is implied that he is powerful...to what extent we shall see.

If I remember correctly Eredin had lost his powers when he met Ciri and he was trying to retrieve them.
Maybe he has retrieved his powers, or maybe he has found other means to strengthen himself and his men. I bet he hasn't been sitting around on his ass after his defeat.
Plus in Witcher 2 it was said that he was able to grab Yen hostage and force Geralt to surrender and give his life for that of yennefer's. That takes a lot of balls, and it requires power to back it up.

The power he lost is opening portals at will if I am not mistaken.Also you forget,that neither Ciri nor Geralt sat upon their asses either. :D Geralt willingly surrendered,and the power you mentioned was in numbers,not his individual strength.

Oh Eredin, you are so screwed...

I mean I understand why some of fans might feel that Eredin is too weak of a final antagonist of the game. But I want to stress one thing here, developer says Witcher 3 is about Geralt and his own things. Witcher series games as well as books were never about saving the world from ULTIMATE evil. So, to me Eredin as a one of many PARTIES in a greater story together with Emhyr(Empire), magicians or northern kings is an okay anatagonist. The above mentioned forces want to make difference int he world, Geralt just wants his stuff sorted out, so it's not cut and dried as you describe it to be there's no final anagonist to cut down.

Last edited:
Yes, that is Eredin.

Not denying Ciri is strong but out of curiosity how did you arrive at that conclusion?
Well she only got beaten by Bonhart and everybody else wasn't even close scratching her. You could argue that only the witchers are able to beat her by the time the last book ends, but now ?

So far the best argument for Eredin would be that he wasn't giving his best when fighting Ciri at the boat, he was maybe even toying with her, trying her out. I could buy that.

Yet...

How old is he? Probably more then 300-400 years, if you fight for that much of time well I don't know, you should way better. The more I think about it the more I keep waiting for Avalach to appear. I have a feeling he's going to have a huge role in this.

But I also have another felling that Eredin has killed him somehow, I just can't shake it off.

Considering that Yennefer told Bonhart that if he were to fight Geralt, it'd be like a kitten fighting a wolf. (Bonhart would be the kitten in this case)
Of course she might have exaggerated somewhat in order to taunt Bonhart, but I believe Yennefer has a pretty good idea of Geralt's capabilities.
So I think Geralt is still at a higher level than Ciri, and she might never catch up with him.

But yeah, Ciri should still not be underestimated, and neither should Eredin. I guess we might never know who would have won that fight on the boat if both of them were serious, but in my opinion Ciri deserves a point for being more aware of her surroundings.

I guess what I'm saying is that even if Eredin would potentially lose to both Geralt and Ciri, his individual power is nothing to scoff at, and he does have the riders of the hunt beside him. I'm looking forward to an epic showdown for the finale, with Geralt, Yennefer, Ciri, and all their friends on one side. With the Wild Hunt and possibly some ghosts from the past on the other.

Eredin's skill and power was never revealed, it is implied basically.
After all he wouldn't be a commander if he was a weakling. Also considering his lifespan, we can assume that he had time to polish his skills.
So yeah, it's going to be one hell of a meet up between him and Geralt and whomever else comes to the party. :)

You mean Eredin's generals?
So far we only know their names (Caranthir and Imlerith), and from what I can tell they are entirely made up by CDPR. Curious to see how they end up.
I am still curious, but a little disappointed that they (at least seem) not to be from the books. I kind of predict they will just be two powerhungry or just malevolent jerks. It is highly unlikely will get two new existing characters for the witcher franchises, just boss material basically.

I partly agree with OP. Eredin was defeated by Ciri (even if luck was involved) and according to the W2 flashback the Wild Hunt (including Eredin) couldn't defeat 5 witchers. That's why i have some problems to take the Wild Hunt serious. If 5 witchers were enough to stop them how can the Wild Hunt be a thread for a whole kingdom or even Nilfgaard (I guess Emhyr want's to protect Ciri ) That's why i think the Wild Hunt will be only one of several anatgonist factions.

I think the Lodge will still play a role. We have some sorceress, who didn't appear so far (Fringila, Vigo, Keira Metz, Margaritta Laux- Antille, Francisca Findabair) and Phillipa is still alive (I don't think she can die in Witcher 2, but I'm not sure). Considering how manipulative the female mages are in the books and games, I can think we can expect some more intrigues from them.
Then we have Nilfgaard. While i interpret Emhyr's "I will give her what she deserves", that he want's to give her Nilfgaard (and the North?) we shoudln't forget he invaded the North and I would be really suprised if we couldn't kick Nilfgaard out of it.

Then we have the North. Considering Foltest and Demawend are dead and Hensel can die in Witcher 2, Radovid will probably be the only important northern monarch in Witcher 3. But he may play a big role. He was present in both Witcher games so far and played a important role as a antipole to the mages (especially Phillipa), I don't think the last word is spoken in this story. I wouldn't be suprised if Radovid and maybe his Knights of the Flaming Rose would be another antagonist or at least faction we will somehow have to deal with.
Coming back to the Wild Hunt. I really really doubt Eredin will be the "big bad". Knowing the excellent story writing of CD Project Red with it's complex political story full of plots in Witcher 2, they won't make the "Sauron-like" full covered Warrior the central character. It will be much more complicated. My guess is Avallach. He is a big mystery so far. There isn't said much about him in the books either, but I think we can assume he is a powerful mage. Considering the last powerful mage Geralt met, kicked his ass (Vilgefortz) he would be a worthy opponent in my opinion. It will be really difficult for CD Project Red to create another excellent antagonist after Letho. I don't think there can be a character who is better written than him, so I'm really looking forward if they manage to surprise me.

Last edited:
Millions of dead humans on worlds the Aen Elle have conquered might have disagreed about the Elves potency, if they were alive.

Eredin and his elven riders were never described as weak in the books. Ciri got away by a trick or better by lucky coincidence and NOT by defeating Eredin. Also Ciri doesn't have "godlike powers". On the opposite, she has ONE big power to travel through space and dimensions but as an individual person she's as weak as everyone else. You shouldn't forget that in a realistic world nobody cares about honor and fighting 1vs1. Of course Ciri is a trained swordswoman, but that's about it. She can't use normal magic anymore and she only has her one power and her sword. Not much, if you ask me. Almost the same is true for Geralt. While he is one of the best sword fighters in the world, he doesn't have much chance against powerful magic or powerful creatures or on a battlefield fighting agaisnt numerous enemies (think Vilgefortz or the golden dragon or what he actually killed him in the books...). He's just one man after all. From what we know from the books Eredin and Avellach are both very powerful and dangerous. Not only because of their individual powers but because their will to conquer and kill humans without mercy (especially true for Eredin). They are no individual demi-gods but leaders of a big army of dangerous mages and fighters. Other than for example Nilfgaard they don't fight to gain new land. They fight for the extinction of mankind or their sole existence as slaves to serve them. I think that makes Eredin and his bunch a pretty dangerous band of enemies. Even Niflgaard probably won't stand a chance against the armies of the Aen Elle once they regained their power to travel through space and dimensions in huge numbers...

Last edited:
Top Bottom