What game in your opinion have the best combat system?

+
Divinity Origianl Sin
Assassin's Creed (Revelations)
Max Payne 2
Baldur's Gate 2/Icewind Dale 2
CoJ Gunslinger
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Jagged Alliance 2
Dead Island
Fallout 3
Sleeping Dogs
XCOM EU
(and some I've probably forgotten...)

Reasons are diverse as you might already assume. ;)

Sleeping Dogs & Dark Messiah of Might and Magic for me.

Sleeping Dogs is a kung-fu classic brought to your gaming screen while Dark Messiah for me was a true revelation, never had I played a game that seemed to be so real and visceral. I'm 23 now so maybe I wasn't around that long ;)

Real time: Max Payne, Jedi Academy, Mount & Blade, Arkham City

Real time (with some kind of tactical pause): KOTOR, Fallout New Vegas

Turn based: HOMM 3, Fallout 2

Games like Temple of Elemental Evil and recently Blackguards have very good turn based combat. XCOM EU/EW are too rudimentary: you can just turn your back on an enemy and reposition without prompting a reaction. Expeditions: Conquistador is very good but some penalties need to be revised.

Heard much about Divinity OS and I'm expecting Wasteland 2 to feature combat as good as Fallout 1/2, except improved.

Games I've enjoyed for combat are Mortal Kombat, Prince of Persia Revelations, the Witcher, after I figured it out, and above all, hands down, Dishonored. I enjoyed some FPS games too, but I'm not sure if I can really count them. But just in case I can, I'll say Halo Reach has the best FPS combat to me in any game for multiplayer.
But for single player, Dishonored is king. Best swordplay of any game period. And sneak killing is infinitely enjoyable.
Star wars battlefront 2 and the force unleashed were also great in my opinion.

The Witcher with FCR is absolutely phenomenal, and the game that sits by its side as Glaroug's favourite is BG2's expansion Throne of Bhaal. Why just the expansion? Well it was freaking incredible, a game I enjoyed faaaaar more than the other action RPGs such as Dark Souls. Games like Temple of Elemental Evil have a far superior turn based element that eliminates the need of spamming the pause button, and managing all the spells, prayers and high level abilities of six characters can be a pain, well deserving of the phrase "cluster fuck", but the fun and enjoyment of the challenging and very rewarding boss fights far outweighed it.

What makes the Throne of Bhaal so incredible is the simple, yet appropriate plot built around the very best and most fun boss fights I have encountered in a video game (an area where the even Witcher with FCR crumbles :p ) without the silly bullshit train track plot devices. The whole experience was purely joyous--and of course Watcher's Keep kicked all kinds of ass.

So in shorter terms, the way in which Flash's FCR and Throne of Bhaal make use and test the players knowledge of the combat system as well as fully realizing their respective potential is what makes them the "best" :)

--A game to note, but one I have not played, is Super Time Force Ultra, which looks really, really good and interesting :yes

@Glaroug

True, Throne of Bhaal may not be an epic RPG with wonderful narrative and adventuring, but it does test your knowledge of combat, game mechanics and tactics to the extreme. In that sense, your approach is highly dependant on your party composition and thus carries an element of previous choice. Elements like positioning, protections, spells, sequence of attacks, counter attacks, and so on must be so precise in some events that the final result can be glorious. For instance some of the fights within Watcher's Keep, such as that one near the final seal.

Melee combat?

Mount&Blade was surprisingly fun. It's simplistic at it's core but very engaging as well. And quite varied given the different ways you can us a weapon.

Severance:Blade of Darkness was really enjoyable as well putting heavy emphasis on timing, distance and overall combat pacing. It forced you to adapt to the situation constantly.

Dark Messiah of Might&Magic was incredibly satisfying, hits felt like they had weight and and combat felt quite varied and fun.

The Prince of Persia: Sands of Time trilogy (SoT, WW and TTT) had pretty good combat as well. It made you feel like a complete badass with all the wallrunning, jumping and group finishers.

The combat in the Dark Souls games is pretty unforgiving and place great emphasis on positioning and timing.

Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman:Arkham City both had extremely fun combat. Not very difficult but very very fun.

And while not melee per say in Borderlands 2 playing as an anarchy mechromancer with shotguns is just stupid levels of fun since you're pretty much a glass cannon but you shoot what basically amounts to nukes in extremely close range. Outside close range you're a quite screwed though so it balances out.

Age of Empires 2. Strategic, not too fast paced and pretty balanced for the most part. Though not perfect, still my favourite game to engage in combat to date.

Top Bottom