Mens Lounge

+
Not only in South Carolina, don´t worry...
I´d venture that history is not "properly" taught anywhere. Each country´s education system has history lessons which focus in the most relevant/convenient points for each case.

Sadly true.
I can assure you that the "Muslim" / " Arab" perception of the Crusades is also quite skewed, and overly praising of Saladin (generally forgetting the ruthlessness of other Muslim leaders like Zingi, or Saladin's own acts of ruthlessness).

Last edited:
Sadly true.
I can assure you that the "Muslim" / " Arab" perception of the Crusades is also quite skewed, and overly praising of Saladin (generally forgetting the ruthlessness of other Muslim leaders like Zingi, or Saladin's own acts of ruthlessness).

It doesn´t surprise me, at all.
Here we have some rather skewed perception about some more recent events... Some I won´t talk about due to a possible political discussion arising, which the mods won´t like much.

But yeah, it happens everywhere, I guess.

I was always surprised, when I read things up from different sources, how many of these nuances and things were never taught in school and I considered my history lessons as very good, with a great teacher. But you are right, the more you learn, the more you see, that history is taught onesidedly. Though some omissions are more questionable than others.
I sometimes read up on things, but talking about this makes me think, that a proper study would be better maybe...

My favourite eras are sort of scattered and pretty regional.

-Roman Kingdom through the Republic and pretty much ends with Constantine I

-Constantinople itself

-Hungarian Kingdom from it's founding until the end of Habsburg rule

-Early Holy Roman Empire and Habsburg period/Austria

-Polish Duchies into unification into the Kingdom, interest wanes with the commonwealth

-The Italian states. This one is an oddity for me as I can find it to be some of the richest history and later find it dull and then pique my interest again

-Any country involved in the Colonial Period

-Early Kingdom of England until the Hundred Years War, British Empire/Victorian Period

-France from the 16th to the early 20th century

-Scandinavian history from the fall of Norway until the end of the Swedish Empire

What I'd like to learn more about

-Feudal Japan

-Middle Eastern medieval times, I've been wanting to learn a lot more on this but seems like a right pain in the ass

-Middle Eastern medieval times, I've been wanting to learn a lot more on this but seems like a right pain in the ass

Marshall G. Hodgson's Venture of Islam is an *excellent* work of scholarship. He is, by far, my favorite historian of the period, showing a strong grasp of political, economic, and socio-cultural history. He also brought a lot of nuance into the field, with more accurate and precise terminology (such as "Islamicate", which I think is the best term to use in that context, as both "Islamic" and "Arab" simplify the composition of the polities of the region).

I strongly recommend it, though be warned, it's a very heavy reading. And it might be best to reserve it until one has a basic understanding of Middle Eastern medieval history, as Hodgson goes quite indepth, which might be difficult to follow without the basics.

You're a gentleman and a scholar, KoP. I have a very basic understanding of some of the terminology, I.E. the difference between a Sultanate and a Caliphate.

As someone who knows a lot more on the subject region what would a good work for the basics be?

Loves me some history, always fascinated by how people are so human throughout the ages, and I think it underlines that saying about learning from history or being doomed to repeat it. Loved it since I was a nipper and me grandfather'd tell me about things he'd seen around world on his travels, Knossos, Mycenae, Malta etcetera. I think it's important for a child to dream and wonder, even if they're a stone cold realist such as myself, see things from other angles and perspectives, maybe not be so quick to demonise or villify.

Loves me some history, always fascinated by how people are so human throughout the ages, and I think it underlines that saying about learning from history or being doomed to repeat it. Loved it since I was a nipper and me grandfather'd tell me about things he'd seen around world on his travels, Knossos, Mycenae, Malta etcetera. I think it's important for a child to dream and wonder, even if they're a stone cold realist such as myself, see things from other angles and perspectives, maybe not be so quick to demonise or villify.

Wiser words have never been spoken!

You're a gentleman and a scholar, KoP. I have a very basic understanding of some of the terminology, I.E. the difference between a Sultanate and a Caliphate.

As someone who knows a lot more on the subject region what would a good work for the basics be?

Philip Hitti and Hugh Kennedy are good for the basics, I find (the latter particularily with regards to Andalusian history). Albert Hourani is not bad as well. All three manage to adequately convey the basics, though they do not go into details, and can get things wrong that more specialized scholars point out. But for introductory purposes, they would do just fine.

If you are interested in reading about Muhammad specifically, then William Montgomery Watt and Maxime Rodinson would be my pick (unless you want to go through Ibn Ishaq`s work as the earliest written biography of the man, which I warn you is tedious. Besides, Watt and Rodinson use it as a primary source, so it`s not really necessary unless you are interested in the smallest details).

Do let me know if a specific period or event in that general era interests you, I might be able to refer you to some works.

Alright I think I'll give those a read, hopefully I'll find a new love as I did for Europe.

Also what kind of history lover does not like the small details? ;)

I'll definitely refer to you on it though, right now I'm kind of all over the place and not sure where I want to start. Other than what I said above I know a descent bit of the Ottomans(which seems like the easiest state in the region(s) to digest, to me anyway), a little of the Hashishin, and a pinch about Slain, which anyone has to know of after studying the Crusades.

God, I wish I had the time and will to read all this stuff!
I´ll have to get some history books sometime, to delve deeper in some interesting topics. My fiancee´s father has quite a lot of those. I´ve been eyeing a certain book about the Battle of Agincourt for a while, now...

We need a new manly topic.

Let's talk about accents. Ran into an Australian woman(in Alabama, weird) today. Puddy in her hands. Every one of them sound just alike to me, but in the best way possible. She could have asked me to jump off a bridge and I wouldn't have flinched.

So my fellow men I'm interested to know, what accents drive you crazy(in the good way obviously)?

Also Hungarians, naturally.

British and Russian.

You're going to have to be a bit more specific with regards to British: There's a lot of variations on the accent!

Anyway, I'm into Scottish, Welsh, and like gregski says, Russian along with Polish. Those women are enough to make me collapse! :D

Serbians.

Aaand Italians.

Oh and French.

Which is basically because I love the sound of all these languages. Naturally parts of them are being carried on over to their English accents.

Welsh. Also Norwegian, Swedish, and the accented English of speakers from those nations.

(We have to bury one of the Lasagna Queen's Welsh cousins Monday. She was a dear lady who spoke with a most musical voice.)

Some accents that many consider ugly, but I find charming, are Glasgow and West Midlands.

Last edited:
Top Bottom