GTX 970 surfaced

+
One "article" says the MSI 970 launches later this month. Is that to be trusted? Whatever happened to the 800 series desktop cards? Is 800 a mobile only series like the old 300?

Everyday newer, faster graphic card on the market but no new games on PC.. whats all that "power" for.

Waste of money.

One "article" says the MSI 970 launches later this month. Is that to be trusted? Whatever happened to the 800 series desktop cards? Is 800 a mobile only series like the old 300?
They're unifying the desktop and laptop naming scheme so instead of 800s they skipped it directly to 900 since the mobility series 800s already exist.

Yeah, they've just passed over the 8xx numbers for desktop cards, sort of like they did with the 3xx numbers.

Anyway, if the leaked specs are close to reality, the 970 will be like getting a 780 for the price of a 770.
13 shader modules (128 shaders each) = 1664 (nobody's sure how many texture mappers; 13 modules would imply 104 TMUs).
32 ROPs, 256-bit bus, 4GB of 1.75 GHz GDDR5 (sheet says 7.0 GHz, but that's the x4 speed).
3DMark11 P11919 and X4625 (within 1% of a 780, but in a badly constructed setup).
TDP approx. 150W and retail $399 (before the coiners snarf them all up).

I am disappointed in what's being offered, I expected more but instead it seems CPU/GPU companies now just want to focus on lowering TDP instead of breaking performance barriers. I blame mobility devices >_> That said I'm probably snagging a 970 for Witcher 3.

Everyday newer, faster graphic card on the market but no new games on PC.. whats all that "power" for.

Waste of money.
It's a dry year for videogames. Everything is either coming out October/Nov/Dec or next year. The 'power' is there for anyone who wants to use it.

$399 (before the coiners snarf them all up).
As far as I'm aware, AMD is better for mining and Nvidia isn't so popular.

GTX 780 is a step up from GTX 680 in power consumption. Will 970 go back down, or it will grow even more? There is also some 980 that was mentioned.

Anyway, I think it's better to skip this generation of cards if you have something good enough, and wait until Nvidia will get to 16nm.

Last edited:
Nothing to use it on, current cards are more then enough to play any game in 1080p. People (gamers) take gaming to serious. Extra few pixel wont change your gaming experience. Unless you have a job with no financial commitments or life plans you can spend all your money on 1000-2000$ GPU to play warcraft.

I am disappointed in what's being offered, I expected more but instead it seems CPU/GPU companies now just want to focus on lowering TDP instead of breaking performance barriers. I blame mobility devices >_> That said I'm probably snagging a 970 for Witcher 3.

It's a dry year for videogames. Everything is either coming out October/Nov/Dec or next year. The 'power' is there for anyone who wants to use it.

As far as I'm aware, AMD is better for mining and Nvidia isn't so popular.

Power consumption was getting out of control. 250W is the maximum you can put through a PCI-Express card. The cost of cooling a 250W card and keeping the system that contains it cool is also nontrivial. And until you can get a reduction in feature size, you can't get more gates on a chip without making even bigger chips. Big is expensive, hot is expensive. Reducing heat and maintaining size is still an improvement.

@Gilrond If the rumors are true, the 970 is a big step down in power consumption: 150W vs. 250W for a 780. The 980 isn't likely to be much different: it's thought to be 14 or 15 modules vs. 13 for the 970.

Coin miners cornered the market in 750/750Ti cards when they came out; it was some time before prices stabilized. They've favored AMD cards in the past, but that communal waste of electrons will follow whatever technology they can use.

Last edited:
Nothing to use it on, current cards are more then enough to play any game in 1080p. People (gamers) take gaming to serious. Extra few pixel wont change your gaming experience. Unless you have a job with no financial commitments or life plans you can spend all your money on 1000-2000$ GPU to play warcraft.

My usual resolution in 1200p, but I agree that hardware is updated with faster pace than demanding games come out. Especially DRM-free ones ;) $1000 is an overkill for a normal GPU, that's more in the range of some SLI / Crossfire.

The problem is that a lot of people as of late (me included) are upgrading to 1440p. Need more GPU powah..

I doubt that a lot. Such monitors are still very expensive. But those who do will appreciate better cards of course.
Actually you can order cheap Korean IPS/PLS panels (like Qnix, Crossover, Yamakasi) that use the same components in their monitors as Samsung and LG but cost a whole lot less. And a lot of people are going for them.

[video=youtube;ZtR8UFU-b9k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtR8UFU-b9k[/video]

You can also overclock them to run between 90-120hz.

Waste of money.

You know gamers aren't really the ones paying Nvidia's bills right? The scientific computing community will buy the single most powerful GPGPU devices as fast as Nvidia makes them. I'm talking about the Tesla line mostly (for high performance computing), and perhaps even some GTX's for computing workstations.

Imagine Nvidia sells millions of Formula 1 cars but we think the SUV's we buy from them are their top priority :p

In any case my GPU upgrade is long overdue. This might just hit the sweet spot.

Last edited:
You know gamers aren't really the ones paying Nvidia's bills right? The scientific computing community will buy the single most powerful GPGPU devices as fast as Nvidia makes them. I'm talking about the Tesla line mostly (for high performance computing), and perhaps even some GTX's for computing workstations.

Imagine Nvidia sells millions of Formula 1 cars but we think the SUV's we buy from them are their top priority :p

In any case my GPU upgrade is long overdue. This might just hit the sweet spot.

Yeah, the Quadro line has long been nVidia's bread and butter. Tesla is a relative newcomer, but deservedly popular. Titan is the crossover line: this is the one that has both gaming-oriented drivers and fast double precision. (Lesser GTX's have nerfed double precision, so they don't eat into the high-end market.)

All of these sell for much higher margins than the pure gaming cards, and they are worth it, because they represent a "drop it in and it just works" assist for problems that scientists and engineers make big money by solving.

Will the 970 be the much awaited 20mm card that Nvidia fans have been waiting for?

I think a 970 being slightly above a 780 but much lower in power consumption is very similar to what we saw with the 770 vs 680.

Top Bottom