The General Videogame Thread

+
Since I'm still on a lappy I've fired up the emulators, and god Mame can be a blast. Used to go to the arcades as a little kid. Feels decadent now to pop 'quarters' in Magic Sword or Black Tiger and play away. So much fun.

First reviews about Destiny are coming in, and they're very lukewarm. The few I read said generally the same thing - threadbare story and repetitive levels with fun mechanics.

What I don't understand is how Borderlands (the first one; didn't play the second) received good reviews, when my experience of it was very similar to what people are describing of Destiny? Threadbare story, repetitive levels...

I find both to be equally horrible franchises, well Destiny isn't a franchise(yet). I miss when Gearbox made quality stuff like Brothers in Arms.
Destiny's ending is.... shit. If you aren't planning to play the game then go look at it and you'll understand.

Borderlands on the other hand is kinda fun in co-op for most people, although I still didn't find it enjoyable personally because of all the hack writing(and by that I mean MEMES AND FORCED HUMOUR) and the shooting mechanics.

Destiny's beginning to end story wise is quite shit.

But I've talked enough about it.

BL1 I found it's humour better as it's zany and more spaced out whereas BL2 with the hiring of Burch... It's like Sid said pretty much. Instead of a joke here or there it's forced all throughout some of it's funny a lot not.

"Dook hut, no fapping!" prime example that Burch shouldn't of been hired.

I only played BL2, can't say about BL1. But damn the "humour" in that game, I would rather poke my eyes out and slowly bleed to death.

I only played BL2, can't say about BL1. But damn the "humour" in that game, I would rather poke my eyes out and slowly bleed to death.

Ah, I think you should give the first a go, much better in the funny department. Better player characters too, aside from Roland. I think the only character that truly retained their charm from the first was Scooter and maybe Dr. Zed.

Claptap should go die in a fire.

Since I'm still on a lappy I've fired up the emulators, and god Mame can be a blast. Used to go to the arcades as a little kid. Feels decadent now to pop 'quarters' in Magic Sword or Black Tiger and play away. So much fun.

I used to be fascinated by arcade machines. I still want an MK2 arcade machine at home.

I am also glad MAME exists. I still like some of those old beat'em ups. By the way, most games had a configuration screen (usually F2 on MAME) where you can select different options, including turning on free play and saving yourself the hassle of inserting "coins". Just press start and play away.

I figure you might was well flush your quarters down the toilet, but I loved game. 4 player turtle goodess. Golden memories :yes

GW2 on the other hand was a very pleasant surprise. With an empty wine prefix and wine 1.17.10-CSMT the game not only installed, but did so without crashing. Huzzah! The 10 or minutes minutes I spent running around was done a buttery smooth frame rate. To bad its been 2 years with no new dungeon content to speak of and not even a whisper of an expansion.

That sounds pretty good. I'll try it soon.

Also they blew a lot of money on hiring Paul McCartney to write the bloody END CREDITS SONG!
The reason for which, boggles the mind!

Last edited:
After finishing AC1(again), I went ahead with something I'd been postponing for a long time but I just had to finally give it a whirl and... well I think I may have found GOTY 2014 for me, atleast so far.

Pictured: Explosive bloody farts

Last edited:
I didn't play it and I refuse to. However...

Senator Stephen Armstrong is probably one of my favourite antagonists/villains.

Don't lok unless you have beaten it, Sid.

Top Bottom