Is Geralt going to be completely helpless in cutscene death as in TW2?

+
Is Geralt going to be completely helpless in cutscene death as in TW2?

I found it disappointing that in TW2, killing guards resulted in instant cut-scene death instead of head hunters like in TW1; Geralt doesn't even put up a fight and get killed by couple of arrows! Where did 'the witchers can parry bots in flight' and Quen power go in the cutscenes?

If there are cut-scene deaths(which I approve if it makes sense plot-wise. You can't really fight through an army), please make it so Geralt puts up more fight than getting killed like a helpless lamb.

PS. We are not going to see something as ridiculous as Iorveth-Roche 1v1 faceoff, right? I hope not! :)

Such is the price for a cinematic experience I'm afraid. I miss the old, simple days of TW1.

Remember when they did the Griffin Finisher cutscene for the Expo trailer? Yeah, that was also kinda needlessly cinematic. Let's not do that. I'm playing a game, and a game based on a book at that. Doesn't need to look like a film.

It depends, did you pick up the skill to parry bolts?

But I think this is better, maybe it doesn't need cinematics but being able to kill peasants and Geralt get away with it(essentially) just doesn't work.

I *liked* that there were certain problems you couldn't just hack your way out of.

Failing to say sorry to the Flotsam guards, when politely asked is hilarious... and a reminder not to be an arse, just because your character has swords.
The Kaedweni camp "sneak" was the other possible failure.
Don't recall anywhere else where there was an instant penalty without you being 'active'. You could lose the fight on the scaffold, goof the Dragon in Prologue or the Kayran battle, miss Loredo's mum, or fall foul of the penultimate boss fight... but the rest, you had to actually fight and die, sometimes against a limitless horde (staying in the mist, or the Order camp at Loc Muine if you sided with Iorveth and not with Seigfreid in The Witcher, the Kaedweni camp in Loc Muine** (Iorveth)).

** This one was 'capture' rather than kill, but the enemies were limitless. It also prematurely ended the chapter's quests if you did it early on...

That's what you get for trying to go GTA in Witcher >_>

As for the parrying bolts in flight, correct me if I'm wrong but in the books he parried 2 arrows at one point and said it was a fluke and probably never gonna happen again so 1 is probably his limit when arrows are fired together.

Remember when they did the Griffin Finisher cutscene for the Expo trailer? Yeah, that was also kinda needlessly cinematic. Let's not do that. I'm playing a game, and a game based on a book at that. Doesn't need to look like a film.
Already confirmed to be for demo purpose not present in the actual game.

Last edited:
I can only think of the death cutscene when I tried to fight my way out of Roche's interrogation
(Ves shoots a bolt in Geralt's back)
as well as Iorveth's hideout
(Geralt is riddled with Scoia'tael arrows)
. I just wanted to see the consequences of talking back and flipping people off. :lol:

I've never attacked either townspeople or guards in all of my playthroughs. Hell, I even went out of my way to never kill a dog for the 'dog tallow quest' in Witcher 1. But I finished the quest, as some rare Salamanders are carrying the tallow upon their persons.

It's a weird morality point of view to some, I now. To avoid killing dogs but have no problem with killing humans. But I see it this way: if someone doesn't attack me I don't attack them. Simple. If I could have reasoned with the Salamanders I wouldn't have had to kill them either. Then again, I now they won't see reason and attack so I'm the worst of hypocrites I guess. :rolleyes:

My first thought was that this griffin cutscene was for demonstration purposes only, and wouldn't be in the game. Would be very annoying if the same cutscenes were to appear each and everytime you killed a griffin. Come to think of it, that griffin hunt is a main storyline mission. I am not sure, but I never saw the griffin as a 'Boss monster' but maybe it is? In other words, it's one of a kind that you only get to kill once and a cinematic might as well be warranted because that encounter won't happen again.

If I'm wrong in this however, and there will be lots and lots of griffins in Witcher 3, I stick to my first thought: it was probably for demonstration purposes only.

Last edited:
You guys forgot the second part of OP's post:
If there are cut-scene deaths(which I approve if it makes sense plot-wise. You can't really fight through an army), please make it so Geralt puts up more fight than getting killed like a helpless lamb.
With this I agree. If there's a cutscene, then might as well make it interesting. Make Geralt fight for a few seconds before going down, in whatever circumstance. So if we're talking about the Iorveth meeting in Flotsam, then instead of standing and taking some arrows like an oaf, it'll be standing, deflecting an arrow, rolling to the side - maybe even charging with a yell - before going down.

Also, I have to say this - I don't get why some people didn't like the concept of ending a significant fight (i.e. monster with bounty) with a cutscene. Sure, some thought that the fight was interrupted halfway in, because the griffin's health bar wasn't empty. But I'm talking about having a cutscene after you certainly killed the monster. Something simple and cinematic, rather than just seeing the monster go down with your regular slash. How is this bad? You're not taking control from the player, since you're still fighting. But you're adding to the experience with scenes that the player can't play out.

I really like cutscenes. I can't find it right now, but there's a relatively unpopular sequence out there in the web, of the Griffin fight, with Geralt running over some boulders in a semi-circular, hopping from one to the other towards the Griffin. It's a scene that wasn't shown in the gameplay trailer. And I remember when I saw it for the first time that I went 'wow, this is pretty damn awesome'. How is embellishing fights with these small touches not a good thing?

Something simple and cinematic, rather than just seeing the monster go down with your regular slash. How is this bad?
There's the problem, I don't want control to be taken away from me for some mini-cutscene in the middle of gameplay because someone thought they wanted to make it more "cinematic".

You're not taking control from the player, since you're still fighting. But you're adding to the experience with scenes that the player can't play out.
But you are taking control away, here I am about to kill the monster and suddenly, a cutscene taking away the player agency. Meaty parts of gameplay should never be interrupted by sudden and pointless cutscenes, it was a problem in Witcher 2's stun kills, they triggered a mini-cutscene where Geralt kills his enemies and TW3 has fixed it by having executions/finishing moves within the combat gameplay. It doesn't add to my experience, quite the opposite - pointless cutscenes make me drop the game entirely.

I think we have to differentiate between cinematic/mini-cutscenes and finisher moves.

Witcher 1 and 2 both had finisher moves(finishing off random enemies), and I never felt them as mini-cutscenes like the one shown in E3 demo.

Last edited:
I thinks the Arrow example shouldn't be counted as something Geralt just stands there... he gets shot with a lot of arrows from multiple directions, so even for a witcher, that is impossible to parry or dodge. And Geralt won't go an fight a entire town of guards, because they also can kill him. All they need is 1 opening or 1 mistake, given that Geralt is completely surrounded and they are trained guards. Even if they are drunk.

Top Bottom