The Witcher 3 Wishlist

+
also, less +stats skills, more gameplay changing ones

potions too, if there were some, i didnt notice

+stats stuff is bad because generally it can be replaced with simply playing a bit more careful and either way you still do the same thing

I disagree. People said something similar about stat allocation/stats in Diablo 3, look how that turned out... dumbed down and horrifyingly bad.

Anythink with a lot of +stats is imho, a good thing. I like build diversity, makes the game more interesting.

@LordCrash You completely missed my point. I don't know how it was in Watch Dogs, or any other game for that matter.
What I'm saying is I want to be able to check somewhere how much of the game I'm yet to see. I don't care about achievements or anything. It shouldn't be in any way forced on you. I just want to get the most I can out of the game, so for example AFTER I finish the game once, I'd like to be aware of how many endings are there left, they shouldn't be named or any clues given, just the fact that "you've seen 3 out of 15 endings" or something. Same thing with quest etc. I don't think you lose anything in that way. It's not making the game numerical... and you don't lose any mysteries. I guess you just have bad experiences with other games.

Why not just browsing to a wiki/fan site for that information?

I don't see any reason why that should be in the game. The point is that I don't want to have the option to see what is left in the game that I haven't seen so far because I don't want the devs to build their games on numbers and dedicated endings. That should be up to the player to explore while playing and there should be no information or hints for that in the game imo.

I also think that you shouldn't even play the game "to see another ending". You could watch the other endings on youtube if you only want to see them. But your decisions in the game should be hard and motivating and you (as a player) should be driven to explore different paths in the game just because you enjoy exploring the story and the game. You don't need numbers for that.

I think it should be an option - toggle it off if it bothers you. Like so much else.

If, on the other hand, you're replaying the game and part of your fun is to see everything, such a tool could be very handy.

havent played diablo but in witcher and borderlands for example i avoided them as much as i could
they give nothing you cant achieve by clicking just a bit faster

I agree with the idea of having more gameplay changer skills (Mechromancer Anarchy from BL2 ;D) rather than +10 bomb damage skills. I'm not saying take out the +stats skills/items but IMO one of the things FCR for TW2 did very well was converting a lot of the skills from passive boosts to active skills that opened up more possibilities of gameplay.

@cloolvl writes about something very important, and I wholeheartedly agree. The features you introduce that add new and different options, rather than boost existing ones, the more layers of tactics you add to the game. The more the buffs are focused on simply raising 'numbers', the more the game is reduced to quicker reactions. Which doesn't involve as much thinking, I find.

Practically every open world game has a stat section that you can access (TES,AC,RDR,GTA etc) so I would be surprised if TW3 won't come with one out of the box.A statistic like in GTA where it counts overall game progress through percentages would be nice IMO.

@LordCrash
Heh, I'm not saying you should see what's left, but to know there actually is something you haven't seen yet.
I agree playing the game just to see an ending is pretty stupid. But when you finish the game a few times, you would look at that menu, and see that there's something left, NOT what's left.
There's the option to look through guides etc. but that'd be just blindly following something. I want to discover everything by myself.

I agree with the idea of having more gameplay changer skills (Mechromancer Anarchy from BL2 ;D) rather than +10 bomb damage skills. I'm not saying take out the +stats skills/items but IMO one of the things FCR for TW2 did very well was converting a lot of the skills from passive boosts to active skills that opened up more possibilities of gameplay.
Then it's a good thing that Flash is responsible for the combat in TW3.

Yeah, I know he's working on it. I don't worry that much about combat because of that. Sure there are some nitpicks that I have with it from shown footage but overall I'm confident it will be fun and challenging.

Practically every open world game has a stat section that you can access (TES,AC,RDR,GTA etc) so I would be surprised if TW3 won't come with one out of the box.A statistic like in GTA where it counts overall game progress through percentages would be nice IMO.

TES has no stat section about quest or mission outcomes and thats a good thing. It also doesn't track your story or quest progress...

And an overall game progress through percentage is something I hate to the teeth. That would be a major disappointment for me for all the reasons mentioned above. I don't want to know how much is left in the game to explore, marked by a number. And I honestly can't think of any good reason why such a number should exist, no matter if you play the game for the first time or if you replay the game. That's IMO just very, very poor game design.

@lanchdan
Why do you want to know that for a hard fact? Why not just messing around with the game finding out for yourself, you know, like real exploration? What's wrong with not 100% knowing that there isn't something you haven't seen yet? Isn't that the actual fascination to replay a game in the first place, to find out more stuff? I just think that such a progress indication doesn't do anything for the game and the players. On the opposite, it imo lowers replay value (with the actual danger to also lower the play value in the first run).

Last edited:

Attachments

• memer.jpg
    memer.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 36
TES has no stat section about quest or mission outcomes and thats a good thing. It also doesn't track your story or quest progress...
Did I say otherwise?That's why I liked it,I had a little log that had everything I was interested without spoilers or useless clutter.GTA has the overall progress stat (which I flat out said I was referring to).

And an overall game progress through percentage is something I hate to the teeth. That would be a major disappointment for me for all the reasons mentioned above. I don't want to know how much is left in the game to explore, marked by a number. And I honestly can't think of any good reason why such a number should exist, no matter if you play the game for the first time or if you replay the game. That's IMO just very, very poor game design.
....Uhm....then don't look at the damn stat page.All of the games I mentioned above (except AC) have stats hidden away in the settings section of the menu.No one forces you to look at it if you don't want to.

Last edited:
Did I say otherwise?That's why I liked it,I had a little log that had everything I was interested without spoilers or useless clutter.GTA has the overall progress stat (which I flat out said I was referring to).
Stats (how many bandits, animals whatever you've killed etc) and progression numbers are two different things imo. I have absolutely nothing against stats if they don't show story, mission or "overall game" progression.

Stats (aka monsters killed, apples collected, women kissed,...) - yes
Progession (missions solved or overall game progression) - no

The difference between those two things is that the first one just collects data without showing me how much there is left while the second one devalues my game with each minute I play. Of course not in reality but in my guts. And sure, I don't have to look at it (if it's hidden somewhere in the menu at least which isn't the case e.g. in AC or Watch_Dogs) but reality is that I'm weak and that curiosity is sometimes bigger than sanity...

Last edited:
Not the same Why Geralt only playable character thread

So I come with no bias on the decision to focus on Geralt for this game. That makes total sense. He is the focus of the games central mechanism and story. Therefore the game focuses on that. We know it's not trying to be TES. That all makes sense, and any potential fan because of TES games should know that Geralt is a badass and the game is going to be great no matter what.

What I do propose is that the IDEA of creating a character and "living" in the world is not only possible in this game, but presents an interesting story architecture that would not only create an immense gameplay experience, but an opportunity to tell stories from perspectives. So here it is:

Playing a custom character that has their own "main" quest line that intersects with Geralt and his story. The game can continue with opportunities to "run into Geralt" and assist him while gaining favor or some other reward system.

I am playing this game either way, so don't get me wrong, I don't care, but really just spit-balling with you guys because I found the concept interesting.

Playing as a custom character where Geralt is still a major part of the game's storyline, but you experience the world in different ways. And you can tell cool stories when you see Geralt going on adventures and jump in, He can point you to new events or story branches that you didn't even see coming. Having a Geralt that goes through the game again on his own might prove too much (although I don't know, so maybe its possible) But just throwing it out there.

If they ever do a sequel, where you play someone else, then I don't think anyone would object to a Quest or part of the story where you come across Geralt and shenanigans ensue (Assuming he's alive).

As for The Witcher 3 itself? No, and 99% chance you won't see anything like that in the game. I'm sure you'll be able to take control of other characters, and perhaps there might even be a segment where you're playing as another character (Although not a custom one) and that intersects with Geralt (Much like the start of Chapter 2 in TW2), but it definitely won't be as you've described.

Only time will tell what CDPR decide to do with the Franchise, and if anything like you described will ever happen.
Cyberpunk 2077 might not be in The Witcher Universe, but it'll be an interesting way of watching how CDPR approach custom characters and how that effects their Storytelling and the way they build the game in general.

I personally found Geralt to be the most complex, interesting, intriguing, believable, and badass character in the books. Some might disagree with me and say Ciri is the best and so on. But I personally wanted to get back to Geralt's story, whenever the books' focus shifted to Ciri or other characters. I wanted to get through the chapters focusing on Ciri as fast as possible to get to Geralt's. I believe Geralt is the character that contributes the most to the greatness of the books.
That being said I would love to play as Ciri if CDPR releases a story DLC that takes place after the events of Witcher 3 or subsequent to the Witcher 3 (experiencing Ciri's perspective, and what we could not see as Geralt), but I can't get myself to play a whole game as Ciri. Same goes for character creation. I think Witcher games are good because of the predefined characters and Geralt.
I just can't see myself reading a Witcher book or playing a Witcher game with no Geralt. And as adamastor said, Geralt being there and not being able to play as him would be like playing a Batman game and running into batman but having to play as Robin or some random character.
These are my opinions, and I think most people here would disagree with them. But if Geralt is not the protagonist of the next Witcher game, Witcher 3 is the last Witcher game for me. I don't see the point of a Witcher game that you play as a random character that you create. Then it's not Witcher for me, it's more of a Dragon Age or Elder Scrolls experience.

Last edited:
If you have played the first and second game then you should know that this is the story of Geralt and it's not complete yet, the game itself is based on The Witcher novels so I don't know how can you create your own custom Witcher and then expect him/her to adjust in the story, characters and setting that is closely based on those novels.

Maybe if they make another Witcher series (highly possible) then you'll see another Witcher hero running into Geralt.

Top Bottom